Obj 2020 | Barking Hard

Obj 2020

OMG that was the most redundant, circular, irritating article ever written. I feel dumber for having read it. How many times did he need to reiterate the same comment?

Regardless, the one thing in the article that stood out was that
it is his understanding that Beckham isn’t actively seeking a move from Cleveland
, so this is all just a big 'what if' postulation...and there have been no signs that Cleveland is ready to move him either.

In other words, twitter fodder and nothing more.

1. Color me unimpressed with 2019 OBJ
2. But I was more unimpressed with our pro-bowl WR's not knowing where to line up - that's a coaching problem.
3. So, I vote keep him, BUT, get a big body WR too. The draft is full of'em.

I'd be okay with a 1st and a 3rd tbh.

And, I'm no OBJ hater, at all, but I think a Stef + Mayfield system isn't gonna be a "need to feed the super star" thing.

Heck, there are like 4 WR's on the roster Baker has better chemistry with.

QBs make WRs, not the other way around. Sure, there are gray areas and nothing's absolute but for the most part, you get it right at QB? You'll find it super easy to find guys to catch his passes. Jacob Tamme? Fine. Austin Pettis? Sure. Every short white slot on God's green earth? They'll all thrive. That guy the Browns cut, with huge hands? Snead? Great career if he's with me.

That's valid, Cliff. At the same time, nobody's struggling to win without OBJ. You could easily make the case that the #1 WR on both Super Bowl teams was a TE. High volume WRs and Super Bowls don't correlate a lot... like leading rushers, true bellcows.

Head coach, QB, get the line right... and suddenly your front office is flat-out genius when it comes to finding people to catch the ball or run with it.

QBs make WRs, not the other way around. Sure, there are gray areas and nothing's absolute but for the most part, you get it right at QB? You'll find it super easy to find guys to catch his passes. Jacob Tamme? Fine. Austin Pettis? Sure. Every short white slot on God's green earth? They'll all thrive. That guy the Browns cut, with huge hands? Snead? Great career if he's with me.

BS. Hands of stone will always be hands of stone regardless of QB. On the other hand, perhaps one example: question, did Andy Dalton make A.J. Green or did Green thrive despite catching passes from Dalton?

Cliff, you won't find one GM to stand on your side of that argument. That's why I said there are always gonna be exceptions and gray areas... because having a corps of guys who can't run routes or catch the ball is gonna be bad no matter what.

But there are more guys who can run the right route and catch the ball than starting jobs. That's why a Joe Horn or Willie Snead leaves his team and goes on to a great career on a better team. That's why we regularly see guys drafted in R6 who step right in and excel, not commonly true at QB.

That's why a WR who does well with Aikman or Manning doesn't go somewhere else in free agency and transform his next QB into a star. More often, that free agent drifts from our memories.

But it's not a slam on WRs. No every-day position player in any team sport has the massive influence on everything else like a QB.

That's valid, Cliff. At the same time, nobody's struggling to win without OBJ. You could easily make the case that the #1 WR on both Super Bowl teams was a TE. High volume WRs and Super Bowls don't correlate a lot... like leading rushers, true bellcows.

Head coach, QB, get the line right... and suddenly your front office is flat-out genius when it comes to finding people to catch the ball or run with it.

You need a complete team. The QB is the most important player on the team. But to win, you need a complete team playing together as a team. Both offense and defense is important and it helps if the offense and defense are complementary.

The team is already built. We are no longer building for the future. With the team that Dorsey built, the future is now. We don't need a couple of draft picks for one of the best receivers in football; what we need is to keep what we have, build on it with a couple of offensive linemen and a safety and go win.

Cliff, you won't find one GM to stand on your side of that argument. That's why I said there are always gonna be exceptions and gray areas... because having a corps of guys who can't run routes or catch the ball is gonna be bad no matter what.

But there are more guys who can run the right route and catch the ball than starting jobs. That's why a Joe Horn or Willie Snead leaves his team and goes on to a great career on a better team. That's why we regularly see guys drafted in R6 who step right in and excel, not commonly true at QB.

That's why a WR who does well with Aikman or Manning doesn't go somewhere else in free agency and transform his next QB into a star. More often, that free agent drifts from our memories.

But it's not a slam on WRs. No every-day position player in any team sport has the massive influence on everything else like a QB.

This is kind of snarky, I suppose, but I am sure Jake Burns, Brent Sobleski, and Jordan Zirm would back you up. :)

I agree that if you don't have good quarterback play, you are not likely to win much. but even with good quarterback play, you have to have a team around your quarterback. And the better the team around him, the better your chances of winning a lot of games. And I doubt that many successful GMs would disagree with that.

The biggest question mark about the Browns is whether Baker is really an upper level quarterback. And just in case he turns out not to be upper level, we need as many good-to-great players around him as possible.

OBJ started out last year screwing himself, and the team, by not showing up to OTA's. It was a new team, a new offense, a new QB.. They got better as the season went and, and on top of that he had his injury issues. But I wonder how different it would have been if he had been there for OTA's learning the offense with everyone else and getting reps....
He's had the surgery, word is it went well and he's on target for camp.. But he needs to get into OTA's.. learn the offense and get reps.. He wants to be great.. do the work up front to be great. .. I think it could be fantastic,... but that takes time, reps, and knowing the playbook. We have a new offense to learn again this year.. Does he miss OTA's again??? HMMM

OBJ is just a bad style match for baker
he is a small nibble WR not good over the middle or in heavy traffic
not a very versatile WR
because of his size he is prone to injury
he's a speed or sidelines guy
we really need another swiss knife like landry IMO
OBJ is a player who can be shutdown
IMO overrated

Top Bottom