Baker Mayfield 2020 | Page 19 | Barking Hard

Baker Mayfield 2020

If your a QB and your two top WR's are #1 and 1A, and those WR's are the guys you absolutely have to respect it can be a problem. If, for instance OBJ really does not want to be here and Baker knows it? It's a problem. If Landry is adversely affected by OBJ, that's a problem that affects both of the top WR's on this team. It's too much to ask of any QB to resolve a situation where he does not like OBJ's attitude towards playing with the Browns. Knowing that if OBJ starts yelling at the HC on the sideline Landry will follow OBJ down that same path. Like he did last year. Especially with a rookie HC and FO.

This does not mean I don't like OBJ. Just that he may not be a good fit when his best friend, who is every bit as good is affected by OBJ's pouting when he's not happy. And when OBJ is pouting Landry seems to emulate those frustrations and when both the starting WR's are pouting the QB will soon feel the effect.
What does respecting guys, and getting the ball to the open receiver have to do with one another?

If OBJ does not want to be a Brown, well that really still should not impact throwing to the open man. If that becomes OBJ not doing what he was supposed to be doing on the field that's an issue the coaching staff and FO can and should address (sit him). If they can't handle that, well then CLE still has the same old coaching and FO issues. Landry is his own man. He had his own OBJ type issues in MIA. So I have a hard time making out any issues/frustrations he has shown out to be OBJ created.

I again go back to one guy controls who that ball is going to post snap. It's not OBJ. If Baker is forcing the ball to OBJ that's a Baker problem, a coaching staff issue, and a FO issue. Pretty much any WR who is talented is going to constantly tell their QB they are open and want the ball. That's not an OBJ thing, that's a WR thing.

If we indeed have 2 “superstars” who are cancers, it’s time to hit the reset button and get young. We have some great young talent at the wr position. Baker is unquestionably better without OBJ yanking his chain. I think OBJ definitely has a negative affect on this offense. Time to cut losses and ties......

Great second half from Baker this weekend, but I think a narrative that OBJ being out of the way helps him may be a bit of a distraction, or at least not the full story.

Baker's second season regression did coincide with OBJ's arrival, and even now I don't think they have much chemistry on the field. However, Baker also lost a QB coach, was schemed into bad positions by Kitchens, faced teams who now had tape on him and had the humbling experience of not being able to back up what his mouth was spewing after his rookie year. Obviously it's impossible to gauge was psychological impact all of that had on Baker, but when his attitude/moxie are so often reported to be some of his better traits from a competitive standpoint, I wouldn't be surprised if Baker doesn't recover fully for a while yet.

I think Baker has shown patches of really good play this year, and I still believe. I am also not panicking about Burrow as a threat in this division yet. For a rookie, he's put in some very good losing performances in the NFL. The Bengals will still need to get a lot better around him, as potentially the kid is two seasons of getting hit from being just another Sam Darnold / name your favourite battered into submission NFL QB.

What does respecting guys, and getting the ball to the open receiver have to do with one another?

If OBJ does not want to be a Brown, well that really still should not impact throwing to the open man. If that becomes OBJ not doing what he was supposed to be doing on the field that's an issue the coaching staff and FO can and should address (sit him). If they can't handle that, well then CLE still has the same old coaching and FO issues. Landry is his own man. He had his own OBJ type issues in MIA. So I have a hard time making out any issues/frustrations he has shown out to be OBJ created.

I again go back to one guy controls who that ball is going to post snap. It's not OBJ. If Baker is forcing the ball to OBJ that's a Baker problem, a coaching staff issue, and a FO issue. Pretty much any WR who is talented is going to constantly tell their QB they are open and want the ball. That's not an OBJ thing, that's a WR thing.

Not only do the players need to play better, but the coaches need to coach better, by Stefanski’s own admission, and the front office had better get some guys on defense this off-season. I know this is like beating a dead horse, but when the opposing teams score more points than you do, typically you are in for a losing season. I think the Browns may have set a record for a 5-2 team on PF and PA in the stat column of the standings. This front office better do its job and not think they can get away with this for very long.

Incredible. Browns fans ready to sell Baker for a bag of peanuts last week, well some were, and he responds with 5 TD scoring drives and a amazing 4th quarter. Carried the team on his back. He needed to prove we can win because of him, and boy did he.

Atta baby.

Pure joy.

Easy there Ocon. This is what he was drafted to do. Consistently. This is just 1 game. We all know what Baker is capable of. This game could be something to build on for sure. Personally I want Baker to succeed and take us to the dance.

I’m afraid the jury will still be out for a while for some until he proves it against teams like Baltimore and Pitt and other contenders in the league. Here’s to hoping he carries the team against the Raiders first. Our defense sucks so it is on his shoulders and he has to recognize that and rise to the occasion.

Easy there Ocon. This is what he was drafted to do. Consistently. This is just 1 game. We all know what Baker is capable of. This game could be something to build on for sure. Personally I want Baker to succeed and take us to the dance.

I’m afraid the jury will still be out for a while for some until he proves it against teams like Baltimore and Pitt and other contenders in the league. Here’s to hoping he carries the team against the Raiders first. Our defense sucks so it is on his shoulders and he has to recognize that and rise to the occasion.

It would help Baker if we had A FUCKING DEFENSE THAT COULD STOP TEAMS FROM SCORING!!

It is a WR thing. That would be correct. Our best WR's can be affected. Landry followed OBJ's lead last year by yelling at FK on the sideline during games. It wasn't Baker. BTW, Baker forced the game winning TD pass to DPJ and the TD pass to Harrison Bryant. Tight windows are common and NFL QB's have to overcome them with accuracy and speed to force positive plays. I think we can agree on that?

We'll have to see what happens next Sunday against the raiders.

Oh I agree and want to start a “Fire Woods” thread ;)
Naaahh. It's to early and the D has been decimated with injuries to the secondary. It's why teams pass on us instead of run. They know it's easier to throw on our D. Quick crosses and slants all day and mix the long ball to keep us honest. We're are 7th on defense in TO's so there's that. Being down Delpit and Greedy is why teams are opting for the pass. Too bad Greedy can't get right. That would be a huge addition and cut back a lot of those short passes.

Naaahh. It's to early and the D has been decimated with injuries to the secondary. It's why teams pass on us instead of run. They know it's easier to throw on our D. Quick crosses and slants all day and mix the long ball to keep us honest. We're are 7th on defense in TO's so there's that. Being down Delpit and Greedy is why teams are opting for the pass. Too bad Greedy can't get right. That would be a huge addition and cut back a lot of those short passes.

Lol as long as we are winning I’ll refrain. But how do you expect to go anywhere in the playoffs giving up 30+ a game?

I look at it one game at a time and we are stacking wins. When the playoffs come we can talk about who our opponent is then.

Keg: I don't EXPECT anything except good football and the HC managing the game without us fans having to wonder; why the did the HC/ player do that? So far this season Stefanski has managed the clock to the tee! His play calls are pretty damn good too. Yeah he says he needs to do a better job, but so does Baker. Stefanski will fall on that sword every time like a good general will do. Regardless if his guy(s) are having difficulty executing the game plan and the plays.

That doesn't or shouldn't change in life or football.

It is a WR thing. That would be correct. Our best WR's can be affected. Landry followed OBJ's lead last year by yelling at FK on the sideline during games. It wasn't Baker. BTW, Baker forced the game winning TD pass to DPJ and the TD pass to Harrison Bryant. Tight windows are common and NFL QB's have to overcome them with accuracy and speed to force positive plays. I think we can agree on that?

We'll have to see what happens next Sunday against the raiders.
Was OBJ in MIA when Landry was having issues and yelling at coaches on the sidelines there? I certainly would concede that OBJ and Landry's personal relationship can result in them backing each other up. But the notion that Landry isn't his own man and just follows OBJs lead is pretty insulting to Landry and an unfair narrative to place on OBJ when Landry had issues with coaches and organization before he and OBJ were on the same NFL team. Landry is a competitor who doesn't like losing. Same for OBJ. I would certainly concede that with OBJ (and many offensive skill position players in general) it's questionable if wins or his numbers are more important. Of course when in a business where the numbers drive what that paycheck is it's just a reality of that life.

Baker forced the game winning pass against single man coverage. That's a bit different than forcing the ball in to double or triple coverage.

I fall more to the opinions of Jeff Saturday and DeMarcus Spears on the general notion that the browns offense will be better without OBJ.

“Call Deshaun Watson and ask him about that Hopkins trade,” Saturday said, referring to the Houston Texans trading All-Pro wideout DeAndre Hopkins to the Arizona Cardinals during the offseason.

"I am not buying any of that nonsense. They played well against a Bangles defense that can’t get any pressure. If there’s an indictment on anyone it would be on Mayfield. Throw the ball to who you’re supposed to throw it do.

“I don’t care if OBJ’s in the game…that’s a Mayfield issue,” Saturday continued. “OBJ’s job is to go beat the guy across from him, which he does. At the end of the day, you want the best players.”

Analyst DeMarcus Spears agreed with Saturday.

“It’s unbelievable we’re having this conversation right now. Two weeks ago, Odell Beckham Jr. was back. And him and Baker Mayfield were on the same page.”

Was OBJ in MIA when Landry was having issues and yelling at coaches on the sidelines there? I certainly would concede that OBJ and Landry's personal relationship can result in them backing each other up. But the notion that Landry isn't his own man and just follows OBJs lead is pretty insulting to Landry and an unfair narrative to place on OBJ when Landry had issues with coaches and organization before he and OBJ were on the same NFL team. Landry is a competitor who doesn't like losing. Same for OBJ. I would certainly concede that with OBJ (and many offensive skill position players in general) it's questionable if wins or his numbers are more important. Of course when in a business where the numbers drive what that paycheck is it's just a reality of that life.

Baker forced the game winning pass against single man coverage. That's a bit different than forcing the ball in to double or triple coverage.

I fall more to the opinions of Jeff Saturday and DeMarcus Spears on the general notion that the browns offense will be better without OBJ.

“Call Deshaun Watson and ask him about that Hopkins trade,” Saturday said, referring to the Houston Texans trading All-Pro wideout DeAndre Hopkins to the Arizona Cardinals during the offseason.

"I am not buying any of that nonsense. They played well against a Bangles defense that can’t get any pressure. If there’s an indictment on anyone it would be on Mayfield. Throw the ball to who you’re supposed to throw it do.

“I don’t care if OBJ’s in the game…that’s a Mayfield issue,” Saturday continued. “OBJ’s job is to go beat the guy across from him, which he does. At the end of the day, you want the best players.”

Analyst DeMarcus Spears agreed with Saturday.

“It’s unbelievable we’re having this conversation right now. Two weeks ago, Odell Beckham Jr. was back. And him and Baker Mayfield were on the same page.”
And now OBJ is gone and the team will be better because of it. Book it!

And now OBJ is gone and the team will be better because of it. Book it!
The team will be better? Are we now saying OBJ is the cause of the defensive and ST issues too....

We shall see if the passing game really becomes better without OBJ, and the double/triple coverage he garners. The bungles D, or really any teams D is going to have to play a bit more straight up when the game plan goes out the window mid game. Games going forward will have defenses coming with a game plan not centered around rolling coverages to OBJ.

The team will be better? Are we now saying OBJ is the cause of the defensive and ST issues too....

We shall see if the passing game really becomes better without OBJ, and the double/triple coverage he garners. The bungles D, or really any teams D is going to have to play a bit more straight up when the game plan goes out the window mid game. Games going forward will have defenses coming with a game plan not centered around rolling coverages to OBJ.
I am saying the Browns are a better football team without him. Nothing more, nothing less. Without OBJ, it looks like more of a team game than an individual game. It’s evident when you see Baker getting other guys involved.

Top Bottom