And with the 26th pick in the 2021 NFL draft ... | Page 5 | Barking Hard

And with the 26th pick in the 2021 NFL draft ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you have called a different D?
4-3 with 3 real LB's
fundamental football still wins games.you dont have to "reinvent the wheel"
OFF have adapted to the tampa2.they want you fielding 5 DB's.they gameplan for it.in our division?
lets go old school.faster LB yes.but scheme is the problem here.not talent
just like FK. it was coaching not talent - and look at the difference

I don't think Wilson is a starter
Im just going to keep this here for ron
later-ron

Last edited:
OK I see. Fair enough.

That could work too. There is no real right or wrong answer to me.

But when KC lines up with 4 WR's and our LB'ers do not cover well enough as it is I'm OK with the group that Woods had out there and the scheme on that play. The difference for me is I would've sent a CB blitz or a blitz of some type to get the ball out quicker and shrink the pass play. That's what my bitch is with Woods. Try and blitz once in awhile especially with the 2nd QB in there. Pressure him into a bad play and keep the pressure on. Whether it was a nickle, dime, 4-3 or some special D of some sort. I'd have blitzed.

We would've had a sack if a LB'er, Safety or CB blitz came off the edge beside Garrett. Even a blitz beside Clayborn's side would've at least had been able to get Henne down after only a few yards of chasing him.

I'd have blitzed.
well yeah but are you blitzing your DB's? you have your 2 OLB on contain with an option to blitz if its there in my 4-3
like the colts did successfully to stop us rolling out.you keep referencing the henne play.I was not talking about that persae
but rather I made the scenario up.it was a typical situation were we got burnt 3rd and long playing T2
it happened all year-screens killed us too for the same reasons

my point is - If the QB runs on T2? you're in trouble.unless maybe you have d.brooks and h.nickerson at LB
T2 is good as a situational tool but IMO its a mistake to make it your philosophy like we have.
4-3 is solid,versatile.good against run/pass or QBrun.T2 is a gamble and we crapped out often in 2021.
"c'mon,mama needs new cleats!" ...TD! damn.

yeah,we need to blitz,but to be effective you need an OLB who is good at it.trains hard at it and is drafted for that role.
shedding blockers is a real skill LB work hard at. DB's dont.theres 1000 reasons 5-6 DB's are a terrible idea.
it did not work for us in 2020. woods didnt blitz or change his gameplan all year.he is going to drag this team down.

Last edited:
To be sure I'd have blitzed a CB from the nickle D and in a 4-3 I'd have blitzed a LB'er like Malcolm Smith who has 4.4 speed. So if Smith were to miss he could easily run Henne down, or any other QB who escaped the pocket.

As for the rest of last season I'm not sure. It depends on the situation, opponent, down and distance and who we have to fill those roles. But what I saw was a lot of CB's dropping back 5-10 yards off the WR's. Woods could've tried to compete with the guys he had but after seeing Robert Jackson play I can see why he did what he did.

In the future, whether it's Woods or not, we'll have to deal with Lamar's running and spy him. What I've heard is that Woods wants to run a 3 Safety defense. A T3 if you will, but didn't have enough guys to execute it. Three safeties with one of them, Delpit, in the dual role of either cover LB, run stuffer, slot CB or blitzer. That's the type of Swiss Army knife player that Woods was missing. Not an excuse for him, but more of an explanation why his defense this year will not be the same next year. If we add a speedy LB who can do all those things too, the QB's can't just lock in on one guy and know what's coming.

We are going to need speedy cover LB'ers. You and I agree on that. But what can really cause problems to them would be a DT that can disrupt and crush the pocket like Aaron Donald. That could help just as much. Get Lamar out of the pocket and crush him. Hard. Every chance we can. Make him think twice about leaving the pocket where he's least effective.

Also picking at 26 with our only 1st rd pick is really weird. It's been awhile. My guess is it's really going to be BPA on defense, but I could see if an ultra speedy 4.3 WR that can catch were there, they might pull the trigger on that guy. We have a lot of money tied up in the WR room right now.

We are going to need speedy cover LB'ers. You and I agree on that.
playing 2 LB means they have 1/2 a field each to cover so yeah playing T2 you need exceptional LB speed
when you play 4-3 you dont need usain bolt at LB (taki and wilson are both ILB speed guys)
Ive been saying for years we need to draft a blitzer at OLB
a SS as an OLB is a good compromise IMO (funny its what I suggested myself) as long as they can bang and shed tacklers
dont play a career FS on the line.you may as well have KJ out there.you need specific talent for that role.

dont hate a WR.just think this year we have a great chance of drafting the #1 or #2 DT of 2021 draft
or the 5-6th DE. WR and QB are deep this year,this opens up opportunities on D
what If we do a GB and draft mac jones #1 LOL

I agree with everything you said. There's a lot of variation on defense specific to talent on hand. At 26 we could very easy see a top notch LB fall to us like Queen did to the ravens last year. Only I'd prefer a guy who can play right out of the box with the 1st pick. :sneaky:

This was an email/tidbit from Scott Patsko, Cleveland.com and Football Insiders. I'd give the link if I could find one, but it shows Malcolm Smith has a bit of game about him. He rated 9 out of 10 Browns FA's that should be resigned.

9. Malcolm Smith

I’m surprised Smith was so low. He didn’t cost much ($1 million) and was the top-graded linebacker on the team. Not only that, he had the seventh-best coverage grade and 12th-best defensive grade among all linebackers.

I was going to mention smith,a bright spark on a dark D
hard though being moved about so much through the year.admittedly its been a very difficult year for coaches and players.
given covid and the fact woods is looking to make adjustments (scheme wise and personnel)
look ok,Iets give him a fresh draft and another year.get back to fundamentals and win.
with our LSU's guys back and a revamped DL? maybe just maybe...

One more shot. Don't screw it up. Don't shit the bed. Don't over think it. Just compete and improve the defense's performance game in and game out. I'd like to see a top 5 defense, but it depends on who we add.

One more shot. Don't screw it up. Don't shit the bed. Don't over think it.
I'm thinking wilson is going to breakout this year and lead this room.
IMO we need 1 more OLB gimme someone who can blitz.versatility is a must.4th rd would be fine
I really like the 5'11" SS from georgia.he looks like another winfield jnr to me.
IMO #17 DE weaver PITT is going to go unexpectedly early.perhaps raiders in the 1st rd even.
P jones is rated higher but I think thats because 17 drew doubles all year releasing jones to out stat him
I expect barmore and wilson DT to both go in the 1st rd.If we can get one of them?
I just hope we dont go drafting CB or FS high in this draft.we dont/shouldn't need them.

what the hey how bout another sleeper. this time a true monster at DT. #99

Last edited:
Wilson went backwards this year. Therefore he does not pass my eye test. Which means, get some guys who are better or who can compete in camp. To just hand a guy like Wilson the job would be stupid. Although I did love the Bull Dawg tackle he put on Patrick.

a true monster at DT. #99
nope-hes going back to school and he will probably be the #1 pick come 2022 LOL some sleeper
Although I did love the Bull Dawg tackle he put on Patrick.
yeah - the guy who took out the 2019 MVP shouldn't be suiting up for the browns?
and he was a 5th rd pick - everyone knows he was playing banged up in 20 and in 19 he was a rook
very short sighted guys - hes got great potential
Wilson blew 'em away
he had a great year in 19 for a 5th rd rookie MIKE but I was not blown away TBH
but..time makes the wine gentlemen
time makes the wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom