2018-19 Cavaliers & Cllin Sexton | Page 11 | Barking Hard

2018-19 Cavaliers & Cllin Sexton

Turn over

Noted in the box score last nite .. no starters from last year. only 3 of 4 were getting minutes most nights. from Finals to the basement ............that's a fast elevator.. Bam

I know I know the loss is the best thing in the long run but I still want to see wins in games like that. The blown coverage on the 3 pointer to tie at the end of 2OT was pretty bad.

Having said that moving on.

Yeah, that was painful. Also not sure why they wouldn't just foul and send him to the line for two right there.

But I also really loved Sexton's awareness to take the ball back out and set it back up, at the end of the 1st OT, before driving in for the bucket. Young players in those situations with time running out will often just continue to heave up bad shots, but he made a smart play. It's encouraging.

Also props to Marquese Chriss during that game. He looked motivated to show that he's still talented.

Cavs let him go too early after his injury. And he did need more time to develop, but Dan is not patient enough.

All Star weekend kind of reminds me how much more I was basketball fan as a youngster. Mark Price was my favorite player and that was a huge deal for me when he was in the 3 point shooting contests. Even the all star game itself I watched because I hoped he would impress. The one year I still remember he did pretty good for himself in the actual game.

Today I could care less.

The worst 3 teams all have an equal chance (14%) of getting the #1 pick.

If the CAVS don't end up getting one of the top two picks in the draft, then they need to be REAL CAREFUL with that selection.

Zion is the clear cut #1.

Barrett is the clear cut #2, despite his inconsistency.

The #3 is wide open. Reddish is a spot up jumper who CAN'T hit the spot up jump shot. At least a dozen other players can do it better than he can.

Defense has no bearing in today's NBA. The best defenders give up 25 points. The worst defenders give up 30. There's no such thing as a "defensive liability" as some like to call it. Dikembe would get called for a foul after his opponent traveled and got swatted with no contact... yea, it's a farce, but it is what it is. The Young Bull gets lit up every night...

So, outside the top 2 of Zion and RJ "Potential Ceiling" Barrett, gimme a shooter who hits 45+% from the college 3 point line...

-Al

Agree that Reddish's shooting numbers aren't ideal, but it's very easy to read too much into small sample sizes with these super-young guys. I believe the NBA analytics folks have concluded you need 700 3-pt attempts to establish a legit shooting trendline; we won't get that yet with any of these collegians.

You'll also find plenty of scouting misses where a guy shot well from deep, very briefly, at the college level, but other factors (bad shooting form, FT%) indicated that wasn't real. The Lakers in particular are getting burned that way right now with Brandon Ingram (41% from 3 at Duke, but only 68.2% from the line) and Lonzo Ball (41.2% with the funkiest shooting stroke, 67.3 FT%).

In some ways, Reddish's numbers are pretty comparable to guys who figured it out later in their college/NBA careers:

Cam Reddish: 68/200 from deep (34.0%), 77.5 FT%

Otto Porter (two years at Georgetown): 55/155 (35.5%), 75.1 FT%

Buddy Hield (first two years at OU): 109/313 (34.8%), 77.5 FT%

But you're right that it's not at all guaranteed he'll get there. Also, it seems likely he'll have other offensive limitations, ones similar to Porter & Hield (limited playmaker with the ball in his hands, more of a catch & shoot guy) — I definitely wouldn't bank him on him becoming the next Devin Booker.

If they keep this up they’ll be out of the Zion sweepstakes soon!

The Blazers game is semi interesting. Good indication where the team stands against more legit opponents

We can’t even get tanking right lol.

On a positive note the team is showing some spunk of late. Coming back down 14 in the 4th quarter tonight. Not giving up the other night against Portland.

Perhaps something to build on.

It is but since we're no longer a possible Zion Williamson landing spot we better hope Dan suddenly has an eye for talent.

Anyway here goes a quick NBA draft preview:

The real highlight of the night! See if the Raptors player gets suspended

A 20 plus point win though against the second best team in the east

Man, Ibaka is one dude I would not want to fuck with. He's in to jujitsu and shit. Plus he's fucking jacked lmao and Chriss ain't no tiny dude.

I'll do an NBA recap in a bit. I saw my boy Mike Conley was Western Conference player of the week, capping it off with a 40pt performance vs the Blazers (career high).

OBJ a Brown, Dorsey not done yet, the draft. Guessing this board might be crickets the next few weeks. ;)

Got slammed tonight. Good news is still #3 pick and shot at Zion.

Watching this UNC/Duke ACC tourney game. Zion Williamson is a straight up man. I'm officially jumping on the bandwagon of doing whatever it takes to secure #1 (if we don't get lucky enough to win it) and grab Zion. Zion with Sexton is an outstanding foundation.

I'm curious to see what will happen with Love, though, if anything.

We need to optimize Love's value first. He was injured and his value was damn near nothing. At least nothing equal to his production.

Now after a few games he's got good value even with his contract. He's been doing well.

Top Bottom