2019 CFB Post week 3 thoughts | Barking Hard

2019 CFB Post week 3 thoughts

The_QCT

Resident CFB Guru
Awards
No, you are not missing anything...I didn't get around to posting week 2. I apologize. A very busy week, wedding anniversary and kid's weekend activities made the week/weekend fly by. However, week 4 is upon us, so it's time to recap week 3.

Results from top teams.

#1 Clemson
- Destroyed Syracuse 41-6 in a game the media tried to frame as a difficult. The rebuilt Clemson front 7 (who everybody said would take a big step back after losing all 4 DL starters to the NFL draft...3 in the first 17 picks) had 8 sacks.

Interesting Note: Clemson is the only team in the country who has played three P5 teams in the 1st 3 weeks of the season and of course the only team with 3 P5 wins. Clemson's schedule is ranked 25th in the nation per Sagarin.

Up Next: Charlotte in Death Valley. Clemson's first non-P5 game and a chance to work out some early season kinks.

#2 Alabama
- Destroyed SCar 47-23 in a game that was nowhere near as close as the score indicated. A late garbage time TD (which resulted in a backdoor cover) makes the score look respectable. SCar hung in for a half...then was blown out after halftime.

Interesting Note: Alabama has struggled to run the ball this season. Versus P5 schools, Alabama is only averaging 110 rushing yards/game and 3/4 YPC. Not good. Alabama's schedule is ranked 44th in the nation per Sagarin.

Up Next: Southern Miss. Should be a beat down.

#3 UGA
- Beat a cupcakes. Next....

Interesting Note: Georgia has yet to play a team ranked higher than 69 in the ESPN FPI (Vandy 69; Arkansas State 89; Murray State NR). UGA's schedule is ranked 118th in the nation per Sagarin.

Up Next: #7 Notre Dame - ND is a pretender. They have no team speed and are 114th vs the run vs P5 teams. UGA should run for 250+ yards.

#4 LSU
- Beat a cupcakes. Next....

Interesting Note: LSU has only played one P5 team...Texas, who has the 96th ranked defense in the nation. LSU's schedule is ranked 105th in the nation per Sagarin.

Up Next: Vanderbilt. *yawn*

#5 Oklahoma
- Beat maybe the worst P5 team in the country, UCLA. Wake me up when Oklahoma plays a defense with a pulse.

Interesting Note: Oklahoma's first 3 opponents are now a combined 1-10. Might not want to hand Hurts the Heisman just yet. Oklahoma's schedule is ranked 88th in the nation per Sagarin.

Up Next: Texas Tech. Oklahoma's toughest test yet...but still not a good team.

#6 Ohio State
- Dominated Indiana as expected. Fields and the front 7 are impressive.

Interesting Note: OSU has played one P5 team this season, 80th ranked (ESPN FPI) Indiana. *yawn*

Up Next: Miami, OH. Ohio State has played FAU, Cincy, Indiana the first 3 games of the season...good for the 68th toughest schedule so far per Sagarin.

So far, through 3 weeks, there are about 6 teams who legitimately have a shot at the title: Clemson, Alabama, UGA, LSU, Oklahoma and Ohio State.

My College Football Playoff Rankings:

1. Clemson
- Most complete team in the nation through 3 games.

2. Ohio State
- I've been very impressed with the front 7 and Fields is progressing nicely.

3. Alabama
- The passing game is humming, but the running game needs improvement.

4. Oklahoma
- Looks very strong so far.

First 2 out:
UGA and LSU. I know everybody is loving these two, but with the 105th and 118th toughest schedules, there isn't enough evidence for me just yet.

Matchups:

1. Clemson vs 2. Oklahoma
- Clemson has dominated Oklahoma the last 2 times they've played them...including the last time with Baker Mayfield under center. There is no evidence that Oklahoma can match-up with Clemson on the field. Vegas currently has Clemson as at least a 9.5 favorite on a neutral field.

2. Ohio State vs 3. Alabama
- Vegas has Alabama has a 7/7.5 favorite on a neutral field, but I think this game could be closer. I Alabama's passing game and Nick Saban's track record vs Freshman QB's (not named Trevor Lawrence of course) would lead me to pick Alabama today.

National Championship:

1. Clemson vs 3. Alabama
- Interesting trend; these teams have met 3 time in the last 4 years in the National Championship...the team ranked #1 has never won. Vegas has this game anywhere from a pick'em to Alabama being a 3 point favorite. Let's look at Clemson's history as the underdog in the College football Playoff:

2015 Orange Bowl: Clemson +4 vs Oklahoma. Clemson won the game outright 37-17.
2015 CFP National Championship: Clemson +6.5 vs Alabama. Clemson lost 45-41 but covered the spread.
2016 Fiesta Bowl: Clemson +3.5 vs Ohio State. Clemson won the game outright 31-0.
2016 National Championship: Clemson +6 vs Alabama. Clemson won outright 35-31.
2017 Sugar Bowl: Clemson +3 vs Alabama. Clemson lost 24-6 & did not cover.
2018 Cotton Bowl: Clemson -12 vs Notre Dame: Clemson won & covered 30-3.
2018 National championship: Clemson +5 vs Alabama: Clemson won outright 44-16.

Clemson has been the underdog in 6 of the 7 college football games they've played. Clemson is 5-1 against the spread as the underdog and 4-2 straight up as the dog.

Being the underdog motivates the Tigers. Make this 6-1 vs the spread and 5-2 straight up as the dog as Clemson beats Alabama in the national championship game 30-24.

You read my thoughts too.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Ryan Day's play calls, team discipline and his overall ability to be a top HC in NCAA football. It's been easy pickings right now playing lesser teams, but hey!

At least we're not michigan! It seems every year that the um hype machine starts up and tries to turns that program into a beast. They ain't nothin' but a paper tiger.
:fuckoff2:

Top Bottom