2019 CFB Post Week 4/Pre Week 5 thoughts | Barking Hard

2019 CFB Post Week 4/Pre Week 5 thoughts

The_QCT

Resident CFB Guru
Awards
College football is still in it's early stages, so we have not learned a lot about many teams yet...or have we?

#1 Clemson
Clemson beat Charlotte 52-10. Clemson went up 24-0 four seconds into the 2nd quarter and started pulling starters...including QB Trevor Lawrence. Sure, Dabo could have left Lawrence in to pad stats and make a case for the Heisman, but unlike Ohio State, Alabama and Oklahoma, that is not the way Clemson operates. Dabo feels it's more important to build depth than pad stats for individual awards. In 2018, Clemson played the most players per game in the nation, 73...and that is a large reason Clemson has the depth it has. Versus Charlotte, Clemson played 111 players.

Interesting stat: Clemson's 1st team defense has not allowed a TD this season.

#2 Alabama
Alabama destroyed Southern Miss 49-7. Remember what I just said about Clemson subbing early vs cupcakes and building depth? Both teams won their conference games in 2018 by an average of 30+ per game. However, Clemson played 73 players per game, while Alabama played 59. In other words, Saban keeps starters in and pads stats to individual recognition. Back to last week....up 35-7 in the 3rd quarter, Tua was still in the game, throwing the football.

Interesting stat: Alabama's defense is ranked 23rd in the nation vs P5 teams, giving up 331 yards per game. Those games include offensively inept SCar and Duke.

#3 Georgia
Beat #7 Notre Dame 23-17. Here is the problem...Notre Dame isn't very good. Everybody picked UGA to roll over Notre Dame...however, they struggled for 4 quarters...at home. The media is telling you this was a great win...the smart college football people are saying this should raise some eye brows to the fact that UGA might not be as good as some thought.

Interesting stat: Versus P5 schools and Notre Dame, the Georgia defense has managed 2 sacks (65th) and 6 TFL (74th) on the season. Last year the UGA defense was one of the worst in the nation in both categories. After 4 games, there hasn't been much improvement.

#4 LSU
Beat a very bad Vandy team 66-38. Burrow continues to be one of the most efficient QB's in the nation.

Interesting stat: The LSU defense is giving up an average of 38 PPG vs P5 opponents...one of which was a really bad Vanderbilt team.

#5 Ohio State
In one of the biggest cupcakes match-ups of the weekend, Ohio State beat Miami, OH 76-5. Remember what I said about Clemson subbing early to build depth and not being worried about padding stats? Day still had Fields in the game, throwing passes, up 42-5.

Interesting stat: Ohio State has played the 59th toughest schedule in the nation per Sagarin.

Random CFB Thoughts:

- I've been saying it since his first season at Michigan, Harbaugh is the most overrated coach in America. I picked Wiscy -3, but I didn't think it would be the absolute shellacking that it was. Michigan is not a good football program right now.

- There are only 6 teams who have a chance to win the National Title: Clemson, Alabama, UGA, LSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma.

- Running up scores and padding stats for potential individual awards is going to come back and bite some of these teams in the CFP when they meet a team who has a ton of quality depth.

- With LSU, UGA and Bama currently winning...get ready for SEC overload and a lot of talk on a 1 loss SEC team deserving to be in over a 1 loss conference champion. It will be nauseating.

- Don't buy the hype on Wisconsin, Oregon, Notre Dame, Florida or Auburn....all pretenders.

My College Football Playoff Rankings:

1. Clemson
- Most complete team in the nation through 4 games.

2. Ohio State
- I've been very impressed with the front 7 and Fields is progressing nicely. Fields still has yet to see a hostile road enviroment.

3. Alabama
- Tua and WR's look great. Running game, and pass rush defense are big question marks.

4. Oklahoma
- Looks very strong so far...still hasn't played anybody or a defense with a pulse.

First 2 out:
UGA - I needed to see a strong performance by UGA vs Notre Dame. I saw a UGA team struggle with a much weaker ND team than last season.

LSU - I needed to see a strong defensive effort vs Vandy...I saw the opposite.

Matchups:

1. Clemson vs 2. Oklahoma
- Clemson has dominated Oklahoma the last 2 times they've played them...including the last time with Baker Mayfield under center. There is no evidence that Oklahoma can match-up with Clemson on the field. Especially with Clemson's new 3-2-6 creating havoc and pressure all over the field and not allowing a TD yet this season (1st team def).

2. Ohio State vs 3. Alabama
- Nick Saban's track record vs Freshman QB's (not named Trevor Lawrence of course) would lead me to pick Alabama today. He's dominated every freshman QB he's faced not named Trevor Lawrence...and I haven't seen Fields vs a real defense as of yet.

National Championship:

1. Clemson vs 3. Alabama

Yes...Clemson vs Bama V. Like it or not, these two programs are the standard in college football and nobody (as of yet) has shown they can prevent this match-up from happening. Last season, BV completely confused and destroyed Tua with post snap coverage. I know what you're thinking, "but that front 4 all got drafted into the NFL and Clemson's new front 4 isn't as good"...right? Wrong...kind of. Venables has adapted to to a 3-2-6 (sometimes a 3-3-5) and created an even more potent defense. As Greg McElroy said the other day:

McElroy, on Clemson's defense: They've changed their structure. Full disclosure, from a QB's perspective, I'd rather play against last year's Clemson defense than I would this year's Clemson defense.

The Clemson defense is even more dangerous this year. Clemson is 2nd in the nation in sacks vs P5 opponents with 14 (1 is UF with 15); 2nd in the nation vs P5 in TFL with 26 (1 is UF with 27)...and #1 in the nation vs P5 in TFL yards with 139 (2nd is UF with 97). The blitzes and coverages are even more disguised and unpredictable than last year. Oh, and there are 3 freshman and 2 sophomores on the DL still figuring things out....scary as hell for opposing QB's. RIP Tua...or any other QB who Clemson plays in the Natty.

National Champion

Clemson Tigers
Back-to-back national championships and 3 of the last 4. Clemson is the best program in America and the standard in which all other programs are striving to emulate.

Buckeyes winning it all this year now that Urban is out of the way. Just as I predicted.

Clemson still cheating their way to the top, eventually some SJW is going to take down that house of ill repute.

TOO FUNNY!!!

[FONT=&quot]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Remember that quote about Michigan being the only school “that competes with the bluebloods athletically” and “academically”?Figuring UM would want to tout this, I filed a records request for the average ACT/SAT scores of its football players. UM denied it <a href="https://t.co/9tbWO6AvKF">https://t.co/9tbWO6AvKF</a></p>— Dave Briggs (@DBriggsBlade) <a href="https://twitter.com/DBriggsBlade/status/1179156054623576064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 1, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/FONT]

ROLMFAO!!! Paul Finebaum:

"It's no longer just Alabama and Clemson like we thought before the season."
Finebaum reiterated a point he'd made earlier in the week, saying he would've voted the Buckeyes No. 1 in Sunday's latest AP rankings. Ohio State is clicking on all cylinders at the moment on both sides of the ball and no team looked more impressive in Week 5 than Ryan Day's team, who squashed Nebraska on the road in a prime-time setting by 41 points.
Finebaum says Clemson hasn't looked the part and has to understand reaching the final four isn't a "life time achievement award" year to year.
"Clemson's best win is over Texas A&M by two touchdowns at home," Finebaum said. "Texas A&M had to hold on to beat Arkansas. Trevor Lawrence has grown a lot of nice hair in the offseason but he hasn't grown as a quarterback. I thought he was one of the greatest quarterbacks I've ever seen and could potentially be the best, but there are quarterbacks all across the board right now who are playing better than him.

Last edited:

Top Bottom