2019 CFB Pre Week 11 Thoughts | Barking Hard

2019 CFB Pre Week 11 Thoughts

The_QCT

Resident CFB Guru
Awards
We can finally throw all those irrelevant rankings out the window and focus on the only ranking that matters...the college football playoff ranking. The CFP ranking was unveiled for the first time last Tuesday, and we saw some surprises.

1. Ohio State
2. LSU
3. Alabama
4. Penn State
5. Clemson
6. UGA
7. Oregon
8. Utah
9. Oklahoma
10. Florida

Some thoughts...

1. Ohio State
- No problem with this ranking. A very reasonable case can be made for LSU to be in this slot based on the much more difficult schedule; but OSU here can certainly be justified. OSU has been the lucky recipient of some very bad offensive competition which has inflated it's numbers. But again, no problem here.

2. LSU
- No real problem here. The metrics would put them outside of the Top 5 for me; but the resume and eye test put them back up here. I think you can have gone either LSU or OSU at 1 and 2 and been fine.

3. Alabama
- Here is my first problem with the rankings. There isn't a metric available that justifies Alabama in the #3 spot. Chairman Mullen's reasoning - "They just look better than Penn State". He dodged the question between Alabama and Clemson. I guess the committee didn't watch the Tennessee game...or pay attention to Alabama's mediocre defense this season. This is simply a ranking based on the name "Alabama" and past accomplishments...which aren't supposed to be considered.

4. Penn State

- Penn State isn't the 4th best team in the country. As a matter of fact, per Vegas, Penn State would be the underdog vs Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, LSU, Oklahoma and Georgia. They would be double digit underdogs to Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson. Penn State, despite winning, was out-gained vs Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Iowa and Michigan...all teams with mediocre offenses. Penn State will get ran off the field vs Ohio State and vacate the Top 4 in a couple of week.

5 Clemson
- Interesting...the undefeated, defending National Champions not in the Top 4.

- Clemson has held 8 of 9 opponents to 14 points or less.
- Clemson has held all 9 opponents under 300 total yards of offense (hasn't happened in over 20 years).
- Clemson's defense has allowed 3 total TD's in non-garbage time all season
- Clemson has won 7 games by 30+ points.

6. UGA
- UGA was blown out at home (the game was not as close as the score indicated) by an under .500, really bad, SCar team. A SCar team who lost to UNC...the team Clemson is being penalized for beating. So UGA doesn't get penalized for losing to the bad team (at home) who lost to the team Clemson is being penalized for beating. BTW - The committee said that the SCar loss is negated by the win over Florida. You seriously can't make this level of idiocy up.

What the rankings SHOULD look like:

1. LSU
2. OSU

- Again, you could go either way with these two and be fine

3. Penn State

- Again, they won't finish in the Top 4. When they finally have to play a good football team, they will get beat down.

4. Clemson
5. Alabama

Let's compare here for a minute:

Per every SOS metric, both team's SOS is virtually the same. However...

- Clemson has beaten more Power 5 teams than Alabama

- Clemson has beaten more teams with a winning record than Alabama

- Clemson's opponents have an overall better win percentage than Alabama's opponents.

Opponents records through week 10:
- Alabama: 28-41
- Clemson: 38-40

- Alabama's opponents win percentage is .405...one of the worst of any P5 team

- Alabama's best win is Texas A&M; Clemson's best win is Texas A&M...in which Clemson's performance was more dominant.

- Clemson is the only team in the country in the Top 4 of both total offense & defense.

Total offense/defense ranking
Alabama: 9/16
Clemson: 3/4

- Clemson has 7 wins by 30 or more; Alabama has 4 wins by 30+

Clemson has held their opponents under their season average in every single category by a wide margin (total yards, YPP, points, PPP, etc...); Alabama has not.

There is no rational reason that Alabama should be ranked ahead of Clemson. Unless of course you are trying to create drama and discussion.

6. Oregon
7. Utah
8. Oklahoma
9. Baylor
10. UGA

Teams who control their own destiny:

- LSU, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Penn State, Minnesota, Baylor: win out and they're in.
- Oklahoma, Oregon, Utah and the loser of Alabama/LSU all need help.

As of today, how I think it all shakes out:

1. Ohio State
- I can't see Ohio State losing. They play UMD, Rutgers (both are trash); a very overrated Penn State and mediocre (at best) Michigan team. The B1G championship game could have Wisconsin (can't complete a forward pass) or Minnesota. OSU is the only team that OSU has to worry about. Just don't beat themselves and they are in.

2. Alabama
- Alabama has won 8 in a row and 10 of the last 12 over LSU. Until LSU beats them, I can't pick LSU. Auburn could present a challenge because of their front 7 on defense...and it's on the plains...but I have to trust Saban and Tua here. Alabama will play UGA in the SEC Championship Game. UGA hasn't beaten Alabama since 2007. That terrible passing game at UGA won't get it done this year.

3. Clemson
- Clemson won't face a challenge for the rest of the season, including the ACC Championship game.

4. Pac 12 champ (Oregon or Utah)
- The initial ranking set up the chance for a 1 loss Pac 12 Champion to make the 4th spot.

How that would all shake out:

1. Ohio State vs 4. Oregon/Utah
- Ohio State would be an approximate 11 point favorite per Vegas.
- Oregon has a powerful offense and their defense has been solid. However, I don't see them hanging for 4 quarters with Ohio State.

Ohio State wins 37-24

2. Alabama vs 3. Clemson
- Alabama would be an approximate 1.5 point favorite per Vegas
- Clemson has been the underdog in 6 of their 7 CFP games...and won 5 outright. Clemson DC Brent Venables confused Tua very badly last year on their way to a 44-16 beat down of the Crimson Tide. The only difference this year...Alabama's defense is much worse as is their running game.

Clemson wins 41-24

National Championship: 1. Ohio State vs 3. Clemson
- Ohio State would be an approximate 3 point favorite per Vegas
- Again, Brent Venables made Tua's head spin last year...and he was experienced. Venables will make Fields look like he is in the exorcist. Fields doesn't ever go to his 2nd read and relies too heavily on RPO's. Clemson is very familiar with that style. The coaching match-up leans heavily in Clemson's favor as does the experience on the field factor. Playing in the B1G, OSU doesn't see speed like Clemson possess on both sides of the ball...which will be a big factor.

Clemson wins 34-24

ahh
I could go without playing clemson in the 1st round thanks!
clemson at 5 ouch
TBH Ive been waiting for these to come out
I didnt think clemson would be top 4
well,not yet.gotta think they will be there
LSU tomorrow.tough game for bama

well If it comes down to bama clemson again?
things might be different this year

I updated my personal power rankings to see how they stacked up. The major difference here is the eye test is not involved...this is solely based on statistics relative to performance and opponent.

QCT Power Rankings

1. Ohio State 11.9
2. Clemson 11.8
3. Penn State 11.7
4. Alabama 11.7
5. Minnesota 11.6
6. LSU 10.1
7. Baylor 10
8. Utah 9.4
9. Georgia 9.3
10. Oregon 9.2
11. Oklahoma 9
12. Michigan 7.9
13. Wake Forest 7.2
14. Auburn 6.7
15. Florida 6.6

As I posted above, LSU's metrics (defensively to be specific) hurt their ranking. The LSU defense has not performed well vs opponent's average, and that has dropped them to #6. Now using metrics like resume and the eye test is what moves them up in the college football playoff rankings; whereas my rankings do not contain those metrics as of today.

Because my rankings are based solely on performance, teams like Minnesota and Baylor get more credit and are ranked higher.

Overall, it's been interesting to create a power rankings, and I am still tweaking to see how much better I can make it.

So...you pulling for LSU 2morrow?
or you wanna kick our ass again in the CFP?

you think we might see an 8 team tournament in the future?
I'd like even better a final four type tournament

cant wait for the kickoff..

View attachment 1502

Last edited:
Assuming Alabama beats LSU and Penn State loses in Columbus, I'd agree with the top four in your Power Ranking Q.

Clemson has played a weak ass schedule though and it shows in the rankings. Not that the Bucks haven't, but we at least played a solid Wisconsin team which I guess gives us a slight edge and we still have our rivalry game at that whore's house ann arbor.

And Clemson plays in the ACC a basketball conference. I was hoping when the big 10 expanded it would include two from VA Tech, W. Va and Virginia instead of lame ass Rutgers and even more lame Maryland. Hell Boston College would've been better than Maryland and at some point N Dame needs to realize they need to join the big 10.

'Bama is likely out unless they get in based on reputation or if LSU, OSU or Clemson somehow have a bad day.

[FONT=&quot]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">PREACH <a href="https://t.co/CuVFXyGClf">pic.twitter.com/CuVFXyGClf</a></p>— Sports Nation Ohio (@SN_Ohio) <a href="https://twitter.com/SN_Ohio/status/1194040532650999808?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 11, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/FONT]

Nobody with a functioning brain believes 1) It was a family friend 2) He couldn’t make ends meet.

He claimed he met him the summer before his freshman year at Ohio State. We typicall call those boosters or agents. He was paid...it was not a loan.

He walks around campus with a $2500 Louis Vuitton backpack and 2 phones...he should learn the difference between ‘need’ and ‘want’.

How did he pay back a ‘loan’ if he didn’t even have the money to make ends meet and had no job?

The bottom line is he took money from a booster or agent. It’s blatantly obvious. The NCAA is toothless and will let him & Ohio State put together fake documents of repayment and allow the fake family friend excuse.

IMO this whole amateur athlete thing is a crime
so many NCAA players never make a dime from football but they have lifelong injuries
its only a matter of time before this is changed
tick tock NCAA

Top Bottom