2020 Browns Positional Preview Series: Running Backs/Fullbacks | Barking Hard

2020 Browns Positional Preview Series: Running Backs/Fullbacks

Barking Hard

Awards
We are less than two weeks away from the beginning of the 2020 NFL season. We are almost there! It was a very eventful offseason with a complete makeover in the front office and coaching staff. Andrew Berry and Kevin Stefanski are now running the show. So, what are the Browns bringing to the table in 2020?

In this series, we have been going position by position to preview each of the Cleveland Browns’ position units for the 2020 season. The next position under the microscope is the running back and fullback units.

2020 Browns Positional Preview Series: Safeties, Cornerbacks, Linebackers, Edge Rushers, Interior Defensive Line, Offensive Tackles, Interior Offensive Line, Tight Ends, and Wide Receivers

Biggest Strength

Nick Chubb

The strength of the running back and fullback position groups is Nick Chubb. Chubb is the centerpiece of the Browns offense. He is the most talented offensive player on the roster and one of the best running backs in the league. He has been one of the few consistent bright spots over the past year and a half for the Browns. He will be the focal point of the offensive scheme this year and should be in a great position in the new scheme to have his best year yet.

Biggest Weakness

No Major Weakness

Quite frankly, the Browns running back and fullback units do not have a major weakness. The running back unit is the best unit on the roster with very little holes. I just do not think there is a major weakness to worry about here, barring major injuries.

Key Player

Nick Chubb

As I stated earlier, Chubb is the centerpiece of the Browns offense and so his importance is immense for not only the running back unit but for the entire offense. He must produce at his elite level for the offense to run the way it is supposed to. Everything will be based on the zone-blocking run game and so Chubb has to be super productive to make the offense work at its best level. Chubb is the best offensive player on the roster and so the team needs its best player to be great.

Underrated Player to Watch

Andy Janovich

Andy Janovich was an underrated addition this offseason. Under Kevin Stefanski, the Browns will heavily use the fullback position and so the team acquired one of the better young fullbacks in the league to fill this position. He is a great run blocker, but he also gives the offense a capable pass catcher and runner to make plays with the ball in his hands. I think he will quickly become a fan favorite for the Browns fanbase.

Top Training Camp Battle

D’Ernest Johnson vs. Dontrell Hilliard

This is one of the most heated and close training camp battles this season. The battle of the third running back spot behind Chubb and Kareem Hunt is between D’Ernest Johnson and Dontrell Hilliard. Both players are special teams contributors, so the battle will likely be determined by who can produce more as a runner. Johnson may be the better runner, but Hilliard is the better pass catcher. It will be interesting to watch to see who wins this final roster spot on the running back depth chart.

Outlook

The Browns running back unit is the best unit on the roster. It is led by the star combination of Chubb and Hunt. Chubb will be the lead back who the offense will be centered around. I expect big things from Chubb given the move to the friendly wide zone scheme and the improved offensive line in front of him. He will be the focal point of the offense and the base point of almost everything the Browns will do this season schematically. He is immensely important to the offense.

Hunt will be the do-everything offensive weapon for the Browns. Given the presence of Chubb as the lead back, the Browns have to find ways to get Hunt on the field often. He will get his fair share of handoffs, but he will also have multiple other roles to perform. He can be the second back in the backfield to draw attention away from Chubb or to help lead block for Chubb. But, his biggest impact other than as a runner, will be as a receiver. He will likely be used as a receiver out of the backfield, but also a receiver out wide. He could be the quasi-third receiver for the Browns given his talent level in this area. He is too good to leave on the sideline.

The battle between Johnson and Hilliard is a fun one to watch. They both are quality backs who are good options for the third running back spot for the team. I think it will be a tough decision because both guys can contribute on special teams. But, in the end, I think Johnson wins out in this battle and takes the third running back spot. I like his running ability a bit more than Hilliard.

Janovich is going to be an integral part of this offense. Stefanski loves using a fullback in the offense. So, Janovich is going to be used a lot. He is a talented player who is a really good blocker and also a talented athlete who can make some plays with the ball. His usage will be fun to watch this season.

Overall, I love the running back and fullback units in the backfield for the Browns. They are filled with unique, versatile talents who can be big-play producers. I expect huge things from the running back group. Chubb should have his best year yet. I think Hunt will be immensely important to this team and used all over the field. He will get a lot of touches, giving him ample opportunity to make big plays. The success will be decided by Chubb and Hunt, which leaves the unit is in great hands going into the season.

Top Bottom