2021 FA Thread | Barking Hard

2021 FA Thread

DE/Edge. Vernon may be done, a starter in the draft is probably too high/valuable of a pick. We likely need to discuss the pandora box full of injured or opted out for the season players we have and look at their odds of contributing next year. Delpit and Achilles heel-no guarantees. Greedy and this nerve thing-no guarantee. Who else do we have

I think we need to target several positions. Question is, what or who do we draft vs sign in FA? My guess is it will be a lot different moving forward. It wasn’t all that long ago FA’s avoided Cleveland like the plague. Or pandemic. Now they will want to come thanks to the guys who leave it on the field every week and some credibility in the FO as well as the coaching staff.

my positions of need are pretty obvious. A lockdown Corner, another safety or 2, help on the D line, and a linebacker or 2 who can cover and tackle. Anyone worth a damn available from Minnesota?

it was pretty obvious that the browns need some speed at WR. KS wasn't scared of getting beat over the top they were just pressing all the receivers.

i vote for a low risk high reward John ross should be cheap and he has blazing speed we could use him on over routes from the slot like KC uses Hill.

there are going to be quite a bit of expensive receivers Godwin, A robinson , will fuller, AJ green, sammy watkins , marvin jones and others

they also need some team speed on defense did you see MJ and KJ trying to cover hill? they couldnt even play tag with him they werent close.

I thought so. It's pretty much the whole Practice Squad. Also DE's George Obinna, Curtis Weaver and Trevon Young are on IR. Also of the PS CB's we have they are all bigger CB's. Brian Allen 63 200lbs, Robert Jackson 602 207, and A.J. Green 602 198. If one of these guys can develop into a starter or a solid rotational CB that would be immensely helpful in the secondary.

FA's.jpg

Not sure about space because the cap is going to be reduced, but here are the guys that are Unrestricted Free Agents. A case could be made for all of them to be resigned and let go. Tough decisions moving forward.

Off the cuff I say TMitch, Higgins and Goodson should be brought back. I'd like Vernon if the price is right the same as Joseph Johnson and Larry, but sometimes another team falls in love and will overpay. It's real early and time is on our side to go through these guys work the past year and make a determination.

Last edited:
Goodson had a 5.3% missed tackle rate. Not to shabby by God.
Wilson? Well...he was at 20.4%. That's bad tackling. That's why he was benched.
Takitaki was at 5.6%
Jacob Phillips was at 3.8%, but we all saw him make that big whiff in KC. Still a good speedy LB'er who tackles very well.
Malcolm Smith is at 6.5%

Leighton Vander Esch by comparison and a top 10 LB'er has a 16.7% missed tackle rate. He's closer to Wilson than Phillips.
Bobby Wagner is at 7.4%. Arguably the best LB'er in the league right now.

Anyway I don't think the LB'ers are bad tacklers as much as they are slow. That's what hurt this defense. And injuries. Another year in this defense will allow these guys to play better by not having to think as much as they did at the start of the season.

And let these guys know it's ok to hammer the QB if he scrambles out of the pocket. Make those QB's pay for exposing themselves just like a RB. I've seen to many tacklers let up when they don't have to just because it's the QB.

Goodson had a 5.3% missed tackle rate. Not to shabby by God.
Wilson? Well...he was at 20.4%. That's bad tackling. That's why he was benched.
Takitaki was at 5.6%
Jacob Phillips was at 3.8%, but we all saw him make that big whiff in KC. Still a good speedy LB'er who tackles very well.
Malcolm Smith is at 6.5%

Leighton Vander Esch by comparison and a top 10 LB'er has a 16.7% missed tackle rate. He's closer to Wilson than Phillips.
Bobby Wagner is at 7.4%. Arguably the best LB'er in the league right now.

Anyway I don't think the LB'ers are bad tacklers as much as they are slow. That's what hurt this defense. And injuries. Another year in this defense will allow these guys to play better by not having to think as much as they did at the start of the season.

And let these guys know it's ok to hammer the QB if he scrambles out of the pocket. Make those QB's pay for exposing themselves just like a RB. I've seen to many tacklers let up when they don't have to just because it's the QB.

Once a QB leaves the safety of the pocket... He should be fair game...

Once a QB leaves the safety of the pocket... He should be fair game...
It’s hard to put your finger on the problem getting to the qb. The only thing I can come up with is 1 of 2 things. Woods or these guys just aren’t high motor guys and take too many plays off. Speaking about our front 4 here. Garrett needs some help and the FO hasn’t given him any since he was drafted. And no I don’t buy into the Covid as being the reason for Garrett’s level of play dropping off. I believe he is or has been injured slightly

It’s hard to put your finger on the problem getting to the qb. The only thing I can come up with is 1 of 2 things. Woods or these guys just aren’t high motor guys and take too many plays off. Speaking about our front 4 here. Garrett needs some help and the FO hasn’t given him any since he was drafted. And no I don’t buy into the Covid as being the reason for Garrett’s level of play dropping off. I believe he is or has been injured slightly

Well I keep saying Richardson and Vernon are in their twilight years.. They better shore that up...

I don’t think things are looking good for Greedy. His “day to day” injury turned into a huge deal. I’m hearing reports that the nerve damage is not responding to treatment. Nobody knows when or if the nerves will regenerate in time for him to resume his career. In light of this, I’d definitely re sign Mitchell, and look to draft or sign a lock down or rotational guy and hope Mitchell is up to the task

Agree on Greedy. He's been a bust 2nd rd pick on account he misses more games than he plays. Hell when he comes back in the fall for his 3rd season he still will only have played in 12 games ala Courtney Brown. The FO likes his 6'02 size, but they see it too. They have a bunch of young bigger CB's on the practice squad because size is a weakness of our CB's.

Keeping TMitch around has to be a priority since he's the only reliable CB we have and can play.

Funny that the last several posts have covered every position from SS to DT. We need to draft defense high and maybe a quality FA to boot. Any additions on this defense is a must this year.

Top Bottom