AB’s 1st Draft is an A | Page 3 | Barking Hard

AB’s 1st Draft is an A

Tell you what boys. I have long respected Terry Pluto as a sportswriter with his knowledge of the pulse of a lot of what goes on in the Cleveland sports scene.

Here is another insightful article that was on cleveland.com today.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...browns-draft-why-they-took-who-they-took.html

I will add my own $.02 worth -

This was one hell of an opening act for this front office. It seems like they took in a gargantuan amount of data, visual scouting reports, and personal interviews on the draft eligible players. Then using their brains and the technological tools that they developed - they ranked the players to form their draft board.

If Jedrick Wills indeed was the top tackle on their board, Berry showed incredible restraint not jumping the gun and initiating a trade to go get him once Thomas went to the Giants. He let the draft come to him. A recurring theme throughout the draft.

I think this front office has a chance to be here for a number of years. Unlike their predecessors, this group truly respects each other and their subordinates. They strongly believe in one another, and they are passionate about their work.

Time well tell if their system of picking players bears fruit - but these guys formed a rock solid draft agenda that the entire organization bought into. They knew the course they wanted to take, and they executed the plan flawlessly. They also were smart enough not to pigeon hole themselves into only one course of action to take. They carefully crafted a contingency plan that if they saw an opportunity to better the team without compromising the original path they were navigating - they were prepared to act on that too.

I am so stoked to see if these players end up being team leaders or key contributors in 2-3 years.

Uh, gents? We just added a high-level poster and I think that's a big deal. And it turns out he can write as well, like Trent, QCT, Ocon, DF, Barrels, Jay, PGL, and a ton of others. Never seen this many guys who could have a popular site of their own before.

I'd say Alo, an actual gifted professional... but dude needs to lay down more column inches. Now if we could get Grimm back, that'd be amazing. Such a great kid, too, got to meet him.

(admittedly, slow sports day stuff)

Tom Pelissero and Kim Jones combine to criticize Ian’s hosting skills and discuss the fifth-year options.

Plus, Browns GM Andrew Berry joins Ian to break down their draft and free agent signings (14:40) and NFL.com columnist Judy Battista on the passing of Don Shula (45:00).

<iframe frameBorder="0" height="482" scrolling="no" src="https://playlist.megaphone.fm/?e=WWO5651439221&light=true"
width="100%"></iframe>

We might want to reconsider the grade of an A:

Jordan Elliot and Nick Harris are in the same situation...The issue with both men is that, like with Harris, Elliot has been projected by the assumption that he’s good, but that he hasn’t been given the chance to show it...

...Elliot isn’t expected to have any competition. So if Harris doesn’t earn the spot, you can justify it by saying the guy who beat him is just better, not that Harris is bad. Yet with Elliot, he’s one of the two de-facto “best” players at the (DT) position. So if he can’t earn his starting role, he’ll likely be cut. Why carry a guy who just isn’t good?...

Last edited:
Who are the three you're referring to?
I got Willis and Delpit as lock NFL starters at this point. Then I got DPJ, Phillips, and Bryant as likely NFL starters. With an outside chance for Harris.

To just be extra clear I am only saying NFL starter. Meaning these guys are good enough to start, they would start on many other NFL teams. I am not saying they are top at their position, pro bowlers, all pro, future HoF, or anything similar. Just that they are NFL starter level, and will be seen in the league starting for teams for the next several years, barring injury or off the field issues.

Willis is absolute garbage and was a wasted pick. Literally the only high end starter out of that draft was Delpit who was such a no brainer pick even Tom Heckert couldn't have fucked that one up.

Willis tape from his first year would say otherwise. Last year was not very good, but he was also playing with a bum ankle all year. Not really good for OL, especially a LT.

Darn decent, if not still an A grade. Every player is either a starter or will be heavily rotated, as far as what we know here in June.

• 1st Round (#10): OT Jedrick Wills - STARTER IN 2023
  • 2nd Round (#44): S Grant - STARTER IN 2023
  • 3rd Round (#88): DT Jordan Elliott - STARTER/ROTATION IN 2023
  • 3rd Round (#97): ILB Jacob Phillips - STARTER IN 2023
  • 4th Round (#115): TE Harrison Bryant - ROTATION IN 2023
  • 5th Round (#160): C Nick Harris - STARTER IN 2023
  • 6th Round (#187): WR Donovan Peoples-Jones - STARTER IN 2023

Ocon. I think you may be seeing things through Brown and Orange glasses my friend.

Jordan Elliot, isn't a starter by any means. If he starts this year it's because a lack of competition. Unless he was hurt and I missed that.

Same for Nick Harris and DPJ. We don't have better competition at this time. Harris will get bull rushed until he proves he can handle it. That's why they told him to bulk up. He was weak and light in the pants. The good news now is that he took it to heart and has bulked up. Anyone can see it. Unlike Schwartz who some claim has bulked up. I don't see it him, but I digress.

DPJ has a flaw and that is creating separation. Combine that with average speed and he does not look like a number 2 WR to me. He may be our 3rd WR behind the rookie Bell judging by the way everyone in Berea talks about him and if Schwartz develops DPJ slips even further down the list.

Bryant might be able to start as the number 2 TE, but if we consider him a starter as a number 2 TE then the number 2 WR is even more critical and DPJ needs to get even better to make this offense work.

Phillips is an incomplete. He's flashed here and there, but he spends more time in the training room than on the field. It's why we re-signed Walker. They are not sure what they'll get from him and Walker is their guy right now. I see Phillips as a rotational player.

Grant is a starter no doubt as is Wills. I'm hopeful Wills improves over last year when he played hurt, but Teller offered to work with him at the end of last year and nothing has been mentioned about it since. I would think if they worked together at all the staff would have happily spoke about it by now, but that's where that story died. At the start.

I'd give this draft a C+ right now. If we get two legitimate starters in any draft, Wills and Delpit in 2020, that's solid. The rest of these guys right now are rotational to me. Elliot is at the end of that DT rotation if we had a bit more talent there. Same for DPJ, Phillips and maybe Harris.

I hope I'm wrong and all these guys contribute at a high level, but I have my doubts on some of them.

I think that they're all on the team still at this point, with the worst one being "a contributor" is darn good. At least a B.

On Harris, he took darn near every practice snap for Tretter in the last 2 years, and did very well in the Green Bay game. Impressed everyone enough to let Tretter go. The coaches have had a loooong look at him. They know what they're getting and he put on 17 pounds of muscle this last off season. That goes down as a "win", for a 5th rounder, and it was a manufactured pick by AB at that.

On DPJ, he ascending as a 6th rounder. Now starting. Word is he looks great. Most 6th rounders aren't even on a roster by this time. He was our best blocking WR last year, which is important with Chubb and Hunt.

On Phillips, agree a little incomplete, but they love him and had the top pass rush grade last year for our LB's, even over JOK.

BUT, I'll admit to the orange and brown colored glasses part too haha.

Ocon. I think you may be seeing things through Brown and Orange glasses my friend.

Jordan Elliot, isn't a starter by any means. If he starts this year it's because a lack of competition. Unless he was hurt and I missed that.

Same for Nick Harris and DPJ. We don't have better competition at this time. Harris will get bull rushed until he proves he can handle it. That's why they told him to bulk up. He was weak and light in the pants. The good news now is that he took it to heart and has bulked up. Anyone can see it. Unlike Schwartz who some claim has bulked up. I don't see it him, but I digress.

DPJ has a flaw and that is creating separation. Combine that with average speed and he does not look like a number 2 WR to me. He may be our 3rd WR behind the rookie Bell judging by the way everyone in Berea talks about him and if Schwartz develops DPJ slips even further down the list.

Bryant might be able to start as the number 2 TE, but if we consider him a starter as a number 2 TE then the number 2 WR is even more critical and DPJ needs to get even better to make this offense work.

Phillips is an incomplete. He's flashed here and there, but he spends more time in the training room than on the field. It's why we re-signed Walker. They are not sure what they'll get from him and Walker is their guy right now. I see Phillips as a rotational player.

Grant is a starter no doubt as is Wills. I'm hopeful Wills improves over last year when he played hurt, but Teller offered to work with him at the end of last year and nothing has been mentioned about it since. I would think if they worked together at all the staff would have happily spoke about it by now, but that's where that story died. At the start.

I'd give this draft a C+ right now. If we get two legitimate starters in any draft, Wills and Delpit in 2020, that's solid. The rest of these guys right now are rotational to me. Elliot is at the end of that DT rotation if we had a bit more talent there. Same for DPJ, Phillips and maybe Harris.

I hope I'm wrong and all these guys contribute at a high level, but I have my doubts on some of them.
That's what Ocon does. He gave every one of SaShit The Clowns F-Grade drafts and free agency periods A's as well and tried to spin every draft pick as a high end starter.

Top Bottom