Browns - AB trades for Za'Darius Smith | Barking Hard

Browns AB trades for Za'Darius Smith

I love the way he did some simple Saturday pick swapping AND the Vikings are still paying some % of his salary, at least per Pluto they are.

Vikings fans claiming success. “Pick swap and a salary dump”, for a player who was going to be cut. So, the salary dump was going to happen anyway if they cut him, but this way, Berry ensures he gets him.

If I was a Vikings fan, I’d likely tell myself the same, but, as Joe Thomas says, “you don’t get better trading away your good players”.

I’ve always wanted to be in cap hell and at the top of the division. We’ll see how it works out on the field, but I like the swings at the plate this off season.

Trade Grades I can find

Grade for the Browns: A
Grade for the Vikings: B

Grade for the Vikings: D+

Grade for the Vikings: B-

Grade for the Vikings: C-

🎯
This is another on point player pick up by AB. And for a couple of late round picks?!! Damn straight he'd make this deal! We now have a bit of depth at the edge position. He's played some OLB so there's position flexibility too. It makes sense that Schwartz can put three pass rushers on the line on obvious pass plays.

This also helps out the DB's on pass plays when they know opposing QB's aren't going to get to stand tall in the pocket and make plays, unmolested.

Excellent move by the FO. 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏

What!
Well done. Basically a salary dump by the Vikings. (How's that Cousins contract working out?)
Swap some token picks. Absolutely no loss.

@OconRecon
I grade it A, too. Put me on the list.

drunk the rock GIF by ALL SEEING EYES

True, but paper is all we have to talk about today. But true true.

Which is why I'm not going to say hotseat, but if there is anyone one on the hotseat, it's Watson and Stefanski. I can't think of one excuse, barring a Watson ACL, that's legit not to have success this year.

10 wins is the minimum bar to declare progress and success. Otherwise, what's the excuse? Not a deep enough LB room? The Lamar and Joe are "too good"? Pffft on all that.

It really does come down to Watson even more so. If he plays as well as he's ever played in the NFL, then we could easily get double digit wins. Hell, if this D plays it's best then all we really need to do is RUN THE DAMN BALL, with Chubb.

The problem is the locker room, and this team does not have enough leaders to get young guys through tough times and out the other side in a positive way. Every season, for every single team, there will be a tough loss that has to reckoned with by the players. It could send lesser teams to give up on the rest of the season. Other teams that have leadership in the locker room are better at brushing it off and winning the next game. Those teams have leadership not just in the locker room but in the coaching staff and in management too. Those teams put losses aside like a closer in baseball. It happens and we do not dwell on it. Period. We get it the very next opportunity.

I'm not sure if KS is the type of leader that every last player rally's around in tough times. If true then it's up to other coaches and the players who are leaders. It'll be up to AWalk, who by all accounts is a leader and Watson. Watson by virtue of him being the QB is the leader like it or not. ST's might have a leader but it's been so bad it remains to be seen who it may be.

Btw, KS needs to invest some time in the D. Especially while Schwartz is here and he can get some valuable insight on how a defense will attack his offense. It could open up his offense in a huge way.

It really does come down to Watson even more so. If he plays as well as he's ever played in the NFL, then we could easily get double digit wins. Hell, if this D plays it's best then all we really need to do is RUN THE DAMN BALL, with Chubb.

The problem is the locker room, and this team does not have enough leaders to get young guys through tough times and out the other side in a positive way. Every season, for every single team, there will be a tough loss that has to reckoned with by the players. It could send lesser teams to give up on the rest of the season. Other teams that have leadership in the locker room are better at brushing it off and winning the next game. Those teams have leadership not just in the locker room but in the coaching staff and in management too. Those teams put losses aside like a closer in baseball. It happens and we do not dwell on it. Period. We get it the very next opportunity.

I'm not sure if KS is the type of leader that every last player rally's around in tough times. If true then it's up to other coaches and the players who are leaders. It'll be up to AWalk, who by all accounts is a leader and Watson. Watson by virtue of him being the QB is the leader like it or not. ST's might have a leader but it's been so bad it remains to be seen who it may be.

Btw, KS needs to invest some time in the D. Especially while Schwartz is here and he can get some valuable insight on how a defense will attack his offense. It could open up his offense in a huge way.
Well hopefully.. We have rid ourselves of whatever locker room cancer there was,, OBJ,Mayfield, Clownass or whoever else you wanna blame... It's up to KS to reign those personalities in and deal with them... Jim Schwartz just comes off more Alpha than KS does... That's just my personal observation having watched both over the years... Schwartz is more like 3G in terms of getting into a players face and waking them up.. But not as bombastic and loud.. But I think he gets his point across... I'm just glad to see were running a more tried and true sound defense where every week with Joe Woods I felt like we were watching weekly failed lab experiments on the field watching little guys trying to tackle people and whiffing badly... So hopefully Watson comes out of whatever funk he's in... Although I'm not getting my hopes up... If they don't make at least a deep run in the playoofs... It will be a failed season for me at least...

Pass rush grade. We now have TWO top-10 edge pass rushers.

The Browns and Eagles are the only two teams who can say that, and like the Eagles, we both have three in the top 15.

The Bengals have one.
The Steelers and Ravens have none, as TJ Watt had an average 2022 season.

IMG_4299.jpeg

Well hopefully.. We have rid ourselves of whatever locker room cancer there was,, OBJ,Mayfield, Clownass or whoever else you wanna blame... It's up to KS to reign those personalities in and deal with them... Jim Schwartz just comes off more Alpha than KS does... That's just my personal observation having watched both over the years... Schwartz is more like 3G in terms of getting into a players face and waking them up.. But not as bombastic and loud.. But I think he gets his point across... I'm just glad to see were running a more tried and true sound defense where every week with Joe Woods I felt like we were watching weekly failed lab experiments on the field watching little guys trying to tackle people and whiffing badly... So hopefully Watson comes out of whatever funk he's in... Although I'm not getting my hopes up... If they don't make at least a deep run in the playoofs... It will be a failed season for me at least...
I have the same questions too. Is KS the guy that can wake up certain players when they're screwing up? I'm leaning to no. I don't see it but that doesn't mean he can't be a really good HC and the bottom line is we don't know how he handles these behind the scenes situations.
I do trust KS with the offense and with Watson. He just tends to manage leads in games too much instead of putting teams away. Hopefully KS trusts Watson as his QB and that changes his in game management style.

Top Bottom