AB's 2020 linebacker choices | Barking Hard

AB's 2020 linebacker choices

OconRecon

If you're juiceless, you're useless
Awards
Just some numbers, now that the sample size is decent, from PFF, out of 175 LB's

24th Malcom Smith 71.8
44th BJ Goodson 64.9 (but 2nd in tackling, 90.0 - and that's why he was brought in)

99th Schobert 53.3
148th Kirko 40.0

40th Takitaki 65.2 (but 2nd in run def at 87.2. Bobby Wager is 1st, LJ Fort is 3rd)
144th Mack 40.9 (but has been injured, and just posted his best grade of 78.8, vs the Titans, right behind Sheldon's 79.7)

169th Patrick Queen 28.4
135th Jacob Phillips 44.2 (but is 5th overall in tackling at 82.7, and has that nagging knee)

Not. Too. Shabby. Not elite, but not bad choices to date, and the unit is healthy and improving.

Last edited:
  • Scho overpaid? Yep
  • Kirko too? Yep, as much as we still like those guys

• Smith a good signing? Absolutely.
  • BJ is here to be the alpha & tackle. Check those boxes.

• Takitaki gets his chance, and in Wood's system in year 2, he's coming, and a top Prief guy to boot
  • Mack - maybe he'll late bloom? His attitude is on the Kirko level, let's hope he's Demario Davis-ish one day

• Queen had a hot game or two, but has totally fallen apart
  • Phillips has looked good when healthy, and was used to big market share tackling @ LSU, and that's where he's shining so far (so basically, our first round pick in Jed + Phillips in the 3rd looking way better than the Raven's round 1 LB selection). Oh, and Phillips has a better coverage grade, pass rushing grade, and tackling grade than Malik Harrison.

Last edited:
I've said it before that Goodson has been playing well for us. Takitaki is improving. At just the right time and Mack has been playing through his injury.

The surprise is Malcolm (fucking) Smith!! 24th is impressive. Good job guys! 💪💪💪

I've said it before that Goodson has been playing well for us. Takitaki is improving. At just the right time and Mack has been playing through his injury.

The surprise is Malcolm (fucking) Smith!! 24th is impressive. Good job guys! 💪💪💪

I like the term you used there and something Coach Stefanski says often. He is constantly talking about “improving”. It doesn’t just apply to Baker, or Taki Taki. The whole team has bought in. What a beautiful sight this is becoming

Don’t look now but the Browns are developing players. I put more emphasis on coaching in this league than just about anything else. This is a very good sign imo.

This team could’ve fallen back on a thousand excuses. Between COVID, injuries and, another wholesale change at the top. Instead they have bought in, and it definitely shows. For the first time since BB I really feel like we are on the right track.🤞

Joe Woods ... deserves some credit - I'm sure we all agree. No Delpit, Ward, Harrison, or Greedy and an LB group he had to develop ... and he shut down Derick Henry in a pivotal game.

Come on JW, let's do Lamar next.

Takitaki getting heavy praise in the Tarver interview this a.m.
So is Malcolm Smith.

That unit, like B-Jack said, is coming along. I did not see it coming.

FTR, Dorsey's picks are holding up incredibly well. Teller is way better than Corbett, but even Corbett is playing decently out there for McVey. I'd rather have Teller, but Dorsey hit ... a lot. I'll always think of his time here fondly, other than the Freddie f-up.

The Freddie fuck up was huge though Dorsey did a solid job otherwise. I think his downfall was he refused to work with DePodesta and that was unacceptable to Jimmy.

So is Malcolm Smith.

FTR, Dorsey's picks are holding up incredibly well. Teller is way better than Corbett, but even Corbett is playing decently out there for McVey. I'd rather have Teller, but Dorsey hit ... a lot. I'll always think of his time here fondly, other than the Freddie f-up.

There is one thing about Dorsey I will never understand: how on earth could he think to begin the 2019 season without a serious OLine?

We still had 2nd round pick Corbett that we were hopeful would blossom, but it became apparent he wasn't ready so he traded for Teller. Also I remember being in the Trent Williams trade conversations so if Corbett would've panned out and we got T Williams the OLine would have been pretty good. In the end neither worked out and the OLine was in need of a lot of help.

Speaking of LB's, was Dorsey right (again) about Takitaki > Mack Wilson, despite most of us (at least me) scratching our heads when Taki was drafted?

Eye-test for the last two games has Taki looking good. Can't wait to see his Giants PFF grade.

And is BJ Goodson a keeper for next year? He's such a sure tackler. I'd be tempted to keep him, depending on the FA market, and then still draft an LB too.

I’m keeping Goodson if it’s my decision. There’s a lot to work with there. This defense is very talented. Don’t kid yourself. This bunch needs coached up a bit and that’s the part that worries me. And then there’s the part that says I could be wrong and the coaching from Woods isn’t an issue. I hope I’m wrong. Otherwise the upcoming championship is all on Baker. And that’s ok too!

Joe Woods ... deserves some credit - I'm sure we all agree. No Delpit, Ward, Harrison, or Greedy and an LB group he had to develop ... and he shut down Derick Henry in a pivotal game.
you have got to be joking.
wait until he gets us knocked out of the playoffs giving up 30+
the SR lead D-line stopped henry.
did you guys see #54 martinez play?wow.an devin white?the star MLB is still a thing.
perhaps we need to draft speed freak micah parsons?

Last edited:
So is Malcolm Smith.

Dorseys shoes are going to be tough to fill. AB got his work cut out for him. If he fucks it up, he and Depo are joined at the hip. Remember that everyone. Hopefully these 2 get it right. I still trust my eye test over analytics any day.

The good news for AB is his entire draft class was essentially starting last game, on a 10 win Browns team. Delpit wasn't of course, but when Hubb and Sheldon went down, Harris and Elliott were thrust into starting roles, along with Jed, Harrison, Phillips, and DJP. 4 of our 11 on offense vs the Giants were true rookies (well, when DJP was in there).

4 of 11 on a 10 win team is damn impressive. I feel good about AB, although Dorsey's picks are definitely aging well at this point.

The good news for AB is his entire draft class was essentially starting last game, on a 10 win Browns team. Delpit wasn't of course, but when Hubb and Sheldon went down, Harris and Elliott were thrust into starting roles, along with Jed, Harrison, Phillips, and DJP. 4 of our 11 on offense vs the Giants were true rookies (well, when DJP was in there).

4 of 11 on a 10 win team is damn impressive. I feel good about AB, although Dorsey's picks are definitely aging well at this point.
Were they starters out of the gate? Will they just be stop gap when someone is injured? Will they be able to take it to the next level? I say they are worth taking another look at for sure. Let’s see what they can do. They better play at a high level though. We got a SuperBowl to win ;)

A LB'er high in the draft to go along with DLine, interior or edge, would be a big help. Between Delpit, Harrison and Redwine I think we are ok. Particularly if Karl Joseph balls out the rest of the season. He could make it a top notch Safety room next year IF he does.

Joseph has a lot of talent. There’s a reason he went in the first round a few years ago. I think the lightbulb came on for him a few games ago. He knows he’s going to have to perform to “get his money”.

Top Bottom