And with the 26th pick in the 2021 NFL draft ... | Page 3 | Barking Hard

And with the 26th pick in the 2021 NFL draft ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the FO were to do anything surrounding OBJ it likely would be restructure his contract to a more reasonable number considering OBJ hasn't had a good season in three years. His value is at a low point right now too because of his injury. I think he's got another year here at least, but like Joe Woods he needs to improve his production cause his time is running out.

If the FO were to do anything surrounding OBJ it likely would be restructure his contract to a more reasonable number considering OBJ hasn't had a good season in three years. His value is at a low point right now too because of his injury. I think he's got another year here at least, but like Joe Woods he needs to improve his production cause his time is running out.

I would love to trade OBJ and Njoku to move up in the draft and get an impact player on defense...

On offense I really don’t see a glaring “need” other than maybe some depth on the line once you get past the backups. Even then guys off the street were able to step in and do a good job.

I think the consensus on the street is this defense needs a major influx of talent. Most of the guys on this defense are depth guys. Although Carry was not a hall of famer, it was a blunder on AB’s part letting him walk. He was experienced and could play any and all of the DB positions.

And maybe some will argue that we do have talent on this defense. If true? You have to take a long hard look at Woods. This prevent defense, or Marty Ball part 2 as Nick calls it, is playing not to lose. And what happens when you play not to lose? You lose.

also I think Stefanski is going to have to show some improvement as well. Which I think he will. But his clock management was horrible against KC. I mean how the fuck are you out of timeouts the last 4 minutes of a game with this magnitude? All season long his clock management was stellar and the team reverted back to “that is so Browns” when it mattered the most.

but anywho, I think the team is trending up and will wake up feeling dangerous if they can get this defense fixed which should be top priority this off season after taking care of their number 1 too priority of signing Baker for the remainder of his career. Now if I fires his agent and hires Rosenthaul, we are in trouble. ;)

Last edited:
And maybe some will argue that we do have talent on this defense. If true? You have to take a long hard look at Woods. This prevent defense, or Marty Ball part 2 as Nick calls it, is playing not to lose. And what happens when you play not to lose? You lose.
Easy to agree to this. On Jan.10th Ben Roethlisberger passed for 501 yards against the Browns defense. It was the scheme that Woods had decided on. I wonder if KS had been involved in that decision. It's obvious that the D scheme is not going to yield Ws in the playoffs unless the opposing QB continues to throw 4 interceptions per game. Browns vs. Steelers - Team Statistics - January 10, 2021 - ESPN
(It isn't just the talent in the D that's problematic.)

A draft pick was used on Delpit and now Berry has to decide if Delpit can be counted on to show up and develop.

If not, then Berry will have to find some one else.

Greedy is also still a question mark.

Last edited:
We need a speedy WR on offense to stretch the field I think. Without it teams will continue to drop 8 or 9 in the box. KC showed us that and run blitzed every chance they could. It's also why we used an empty backfield a lot. Which I hate when we have Chubb and Hunt, but I think it was to create less pressure on Baker and force KC out of straight blitzes.

I think we probably draft a speedy WR in the 2nd or 3rd round cause trading for a guy like Houston's Brandin Cooks puts too much cap money in the WR room when you the contracts of OBJ and Jarvis. Also another reason to draft a WR if only to get a guy on a rookie contract. Higgins is a UFA, KhaDarel Hodge is a RFA and I just saw the Browns signed WR/PR Ryan Switzer to a one year deal, but he's 4.55 40 guy. WR Derrick Willies is big WR with a 4.57 40 and the more I look into it the more it appears our WR room is slow. Like our LB room.

I'd take a look at UFA WR Will Fuller who is a 4.33 guy, but is also injury prone and just came off a PED suspension. For the right price...maybe, but I'd rather draft our own outside of the first round and since we draft late in the rounds this year maybe a 2nd round, but I still would rather wait to the end of the 3rd for a WR, if possible.

Lots of decisions leading up to the draft and FA will clear some of them up, but it's definitely time to use up our cap space, fill holes and go into 2021 knowing we are a playoff team to be reckoned with. No doubt about it.

We need a speedy WR on offense to stretch the field I think. Without it teams will continue to drop 8 or 9 in the box. KC showed us that and run blitzed every chance they could. It's also why we used an empty backfield a lot. Which I hate when we have Chubb and Hunt, but I think it was to create less pressure on Baker and force KC out of straight blitzes.

I think we probably draft a speedy WR in the 2nd or 3rd round cause trading for a guy like Houston's Brandin Cooks puts too much cap money in the WR room when you the contracts of OBJ and Jarvis. Also another reason to draft a WR if only to get a guy on a rookie contract. Higgins is a UFA, KhaDarel Hodge is a RFA and I just saw the Browns signed WR/PR Ryan Switzer to a one year deal, but he's 4.55 40 guy. WR Derrick Willies is big WR with a 4.57 40 and the more I look into it the more it appears our WR room is slow. Like our LB room.

I'd take a look at UFA WR Will Fuller who is a 4.33 guy, but is also injury prone and just came off a PED suspension. For the right price...maybe, but I'd rather draft our own outside of the first round and since we draft late in the rounds this year maybe a 2nd round, but I still would rather wait to the end of the 3rd for a WR, if possible.

Lots of decisions leading up to the draft and FA will clear some of them up, but it's definitely time to use up our cap space, fill holes and go into 2021 knowing we are a playoff team to be reckoned with. No doubt about it.

I agree we need a guy who can take the top off of the defense. As of right now, OBJ is that guy.

One thing I can assure you is that we won't be spending a high draft pick on a WR (2nd or higher). We already have $30M+ locked up at the position and have much bigger needs to address. My guess is everything is dependent on what happens with OBJ. If we trade him, then we can address the position in FA with a few bucks behind it. If he stays, then we either find a cheap or moderately priced FA option (maybe Fuller or Perriman) or take a late flyer on a speedster in the draft.

I think what you are seeing is an evolution of a young QB who is getting comfortable within the structure of the offense...and Stefanski opening things up a little more-and-more as Baker gets more comfortable. In other words, there will be a natural evolution that occurs as Stefanski learns what Baker is comfortable with within the offense and as Baker learns and becomes more comfortable within the offense. We saw it throughout the 2nd half of the season. Stefanski hasn't had the opportunity to fully open up his playbook. Hell, he hasn't even had a normal off-season yet.

So anybody saying he needs to 'evolve' the offense is short-sighted (yes, including Smith who I don't love to begin with) and/or looking for click-bait.

I hope all is well with you and yours Q.

OBJ running a 4.43 is pretty damn good considering he can create space, catch the ball and block all equally well.

I think the two Championships yesterday showed that in the 2020s:

A) You don't go to Super Bowls without a great offense
B) You don't go to Super Bowls without a very good defense

We're close to A. We are far, very far away from B.
Our focus has to be on B. I'm expecting a real revolution on the defensive side. Berry and Stefanski must know by now if Joe Woods is the man. And if he is, let's build the defense he needs to succeed. No way we kick off 2021 season without a top 5 defense.

KS mentioned at the end of the season that the offense still had not practiced silent snap counts due to the abbreviated pre season. I'm not sure Baker has gone through the whole offense yet.

We are set to lose two starting DLinemen in Vernon. I can see Vince Taylor and/or Jordan Elliot starting next to Richardson as we speak if Billings isn't ready. At 6'01 328 if he comes in out of shape from Covid opt out it may take awhile to get him ready. Same for three guards who opted out Gossett, Forbes (player X of the 2019 draft) and Pridgeon. Drake Dorbeck was the only T who opted out.

Agreed we need some defensive talent. That being said I'd hate to waste it on Joe Woods. And I would hate for our young talent to have Joe Woods as the guy who teaches them how to succeed in this league.

We don't really know how good our defense is ....because we have Joe Woods. Dude is known far and wide as a chronic under achiever. Was known well before we hired him, which again makes one question who is making that choice.

Agreed we need some defensive talent. That being said I'd hate to waste it on Joe Woods. And I would hate for our young talent to have Joe Woods as the guy who teaches them how to succeed in this league.

We don't really know how good our defense is ....because we have Joe Woods. Dude is known far and wide as a chronic under achiever. Was known well before we hired him, which again makes one question who is making that choice.

Yeah is the Doncos didn;t like him.. Why should we?... He comes across to me as Ray Horton Jr.

In Woods’ first season as defensive coordinator in 2017, the Broncos finished third in the NFL in total defense, giving up just 290.0 yards per game. The Broncos’ fifth-ranked run defense in 2017 was particularly impressive as it improved by more than 40 yards per game after finishing 28th in the NFL in 2016.

Broncos HC Vance Joseph was canned after 2018 so Woods wasn't going to be retained by new HC Vic Fangio who has his own defensive scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom