And with the 26th pick in the 2021 NFL draft ... | Page 4 | Barking Hard

And with the 26th pick in the 2021 NFL draft ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Woods’ first season as defensive coordinator in 2017, the Broncos finished third in the NFL in total defense, giving up just 290.0 yards per game. The Broncos’ fifth-ranked run defense in 2017 was particularly impressive as it improved by more than 40 yards per game after finishing 28th in the NFL in 2016.

Broncos HC Vance Joseph was canned after 2018 so Woods wasn't going to be retained by new HC Vic Fangio who has his own defensive scheme.
Looks like Woods has digressed since joining the Browns staff

D? yup, question is D-line, LB or DB.for me with vernon hurt its a no-brainer
SR DT has changed this D from the line.BPA at DE or a DT (but for DT has to be a "star")
DO NOT draft a CB in the top 2 picks.we generally dont draft high pick LB in cleveland,besides we have the talent
but these young rooms need amazing coaching,which they do not have.
case & point? taki has blown up like biggie smalls ,there goes our speed at LB,he looks like a DE.
this is coaching

the common used cover2/3 D has a glaring weakness.running QB's. all year we got burnt alive and then
it got us in the PO's too. not adjusting to this problem is why woods needs fired asap.
I am nervous AF. he should already be gone TBH

Last edited:
Not really. Woods sucked ass for Denver too. So much so that he was unofficially demoted by the HC who took over DC duties. He had the same weaknesses there as he does here, with totally different talent.
So who hired him? That is the biggest question regarding continuity IMO. If he’s Kevin’s guy, then maybe he’s back next year. But if there was a forced marriage here, then this team is in trouble.

Absolutely. We need to remake the entire D.
Well.. Remake is a bit much... Garrets a keeper... Ward is good so long as he's healthy... Greedy.. unknown quantity along with Delpit... Richardson we can squeeze another year from... Vernon is at the end...I would focus on Lber and secondary while adding depth on the dline... Porter Gustin and Larry O are pretty good... Like I said.. I would package Blow Me J and Njoku to move up in the draft...

Looks like Woods has digressed since joining the Browns staff
When the defense is lining up it's 4th and 5th CB's as starters I would expect a decline in production particularly in passing defense yet we gave up only 2 more total yards than KC's defense who was 16th in yardage given up.

I'm not saying he's going to be a great DC, but he should be allowed another year to make it better. It's easy to see our defense has no speed. Especially in the LB room, except for the rookie Phillips. Same thing on the edges, except for Ward. Look at these stats from the dallas game and see all the tackles by the DB's. It shows the opposing OC's knew the way to beat this defense is to throw the ball. Dak threw for 502 yards and 4TD's. Pigben through for 501 in the playoff game.

Fix it by adding an edge and a speedy LB'er who can cover and see what Wood's D does with it. We don't have to do a complete over haul. That would set this D back and take the rest of the team with it maybe out of the playoffs. Instead add to it. On all levels and grow it some more.

2020 NFL Opposition & Defensive Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

When the defense is lining up it's 4th and 5th CB's as starters I would expect a decline in production particularly in passing defense yet we gave up only 2 more total yards than KC's defense who was 16th in yardage given up.

I'm not saying he's going to be a great DC, but he should be allowed another year to make it better. It's easy to see our defense has no speed. Especially in the LB room, except for the rookie Phillips. Same thing on the edges, except for Ward. Look at these stats from the dallas game and see all the tackles by the DB's. It shows the opposing OC's knew the way to beat this defense is to throw the ball. Dak threw for 502 yards and 4TD's. Pigben through for 501 in the playoff game.

Fix it by adding an edge and a speedy LB'er who can cover and see what Wood's D does with it. We don't have to do a complete over haul. That would set this D back and take the rest of the team with it maybe out of the playoffs. Instead add to it. On all levels and grow it some more.

2020 NFL Opposition & Defensive Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com
The stats don’t always tell the whole story obviously. I’m sure the staff has already seen every defensive play, every defensive position from 20-21 a dozen times since the the loss to KC. I would expect the same attention and same leap forward with this defense as we saw with the offense come next year. But to do this, they need a major influx of talent. Woods has to do a better job! He doesn’t have Zimmer to help him out here. And we can’t make excuses of guys getting hurt. We just can’t. It is up to the coaching staff to get guys ready to play. Heck there were plenty of plays that these guys either were not prepared, not in the right spot, and or took plays off. Whether they are starters, or backups. Changing that culture is next. He just has to scheme to the players strengths a lot better. This prevent defense or “cameo appearance” of “Marty Ball” has got to stop......

Last edited:
I would go the whole draft after defensive players. Maybe, as many pointed out, a deep threat WR in the 5th or 6th round, but beside this all defensive players.
I don't know it it's text book, but you very rarely see a 4-3 type LB taken in the first round. So I think we'll go for a pass rusher in the first round, I don't see Vernon being still with us next year and we need to give Garrett a relief on double teams, and a LB on the second round.

• First round: DE
  • Second round: LB
  • Third round: DB; DB
  • Fourth round: DL; LB (or WR)
  • Fifth to Seventh round (it should be 4 picks if I'm not wrong), we go DL, OL, LB, DB follwing the "best player available" strategy

When the defense is lining up it's 4th and 5th CB's as starters I would expect a decline in production
thats woods choice to play 4-3 with CB's at the OLB positions in a weird nickel
then when the QB runs you have a CB tackling in the open field-not a good idea
woods is terrible,awful,under experienced and clueless
fearful of removing him? dont be.we need elite D coaching for our young D to reach the next level.
you think upgrading 2 starters will transform this D? little will change
and next year the D will fail again.

First round: DE
solid pick-but 1 big problem.this is the weakest DE draft in recent memory.nobody stands out or ticks all boxes
usually there are 2-3 guys you'd really want,this year?not 1. so we must go DT at #1 and get a promising DE prospect later.
we also have FA now we are a winner we might see more interest from players.
we also have a recuperating weaver who may still be productive at DE
barmore or wilson look promising

fearful of removing him? dont be.we need elite D coaching for our young D to reach the next level.

This is a good point Haymaker. It has to be said we are not the only team doing it (KC does it as well, to name one), but when LBs are a weak point in your defense and you're facing QBs who can run the ball, what's the point in playing 5 DBs most of the times?

This is a good point Haymaker. It has to be said we are not the only team doing it (KC does it as well, to name one), but when LBs are a weak point in your defense and you're facing QBs who can run the ball, what's the point in playing 5 DBs most of the times?

Well again.. it just seems dumb to have little DB's trying to tackle a ball carrier who is bigger and stronger than they are...

you know who doesn't do that? Pittsburgh. play and draft real LB.get a real DC.

mock draft simulator
26: R1 P26 DL Christian Barmore - Alabama
59: R2 P27 S Hamsah Nasirildeen - Florida State
89: R3 P25 LB Dylan Moses - Alabama
91: R3 P27 RB Michael Carter - North Carolina
107: R4 P5 EDGE Quincy Roche - Miami
129: R4 P27 WR Sage Surratt - Wake Forest
166: R5 P25 S JaCoby Stevens - LSU
205: R6 P26 DL Malik Herring - Georgia
250: R7 P28 WR T.J. Vasher - Texas Tech

what no CB? we have 3 good starters and our S could play in a pinch.better playing a S as a cover nickel anyway #versatility

Last edited:
When the opponent goes empty back field or even 4 wide those CB's will be easily exposed. PigBen was lining up and going right at Robert Jackson damn near every time. Why? Because he's not ready to start let alone be rotated in yet there he was. Same when you add in Mack Wilson. He's slow AF. He can't cover. BJ Goodson is the same. Good guys to have in the rotation, but not guys who should be starters. Woods' had to slow down opposing QB's somehow.

What and with which players would you have done different?

Oh and I'm not fearful of removing him. If they cut him I wouldn't shed a tear. I think he should be given another year is all.
I think if we add another legit DE and LB'er and we don't lose TMitch we'll be better in the same D than starting over from scratch.

Same when you add in Mack Wilson. He's slow AF. He can't cover. BJ Goodson is the same. Good guys to have in the rotation, but not guys who should be starters.
mack wilsons not a starter? he's played hurt all year.he was much faster his rookie year
taki looks huge.probably covid and bad/not available coaches.taki-no more twinkies! this is apart of coaching.
we do not play a "normal" 4-3 LB core though do we? well, we do on obvious run plays only.
do you read a word I wrote? a S can play nickel,in fact maybe better as they are generally better tacklers too
this cover2 ideology is BS.its not better.the spanner in the works is the running QB.

we are facing 3rd and 18 right? OFF shows 4 wide.we play 4 CB in the 4-3 I mentioned.its a 100% pass right? 6 DB's
snap-the field opens up the QB rolls out and breaks free.now what?he's free to run for 12 yards before having to beat a defender
wilson has to cover half the field now-he looks slow or could it be If he had real LB in
position he wouldn't have to run 25 yards to make a play.the OLB CB's are easily blocked in the open field and mack/taki arrive late.
1st down baltimore.

which players do we need to change to improve this team? you say 2? I say just 1.upgrading 1 man could transform this entire D.
joe woods.

Last edited:
Shiiiiittt.

How about we trade Njoku and OBJ for a 1st rd pick? Say the second pick of Miami's? We could REALLY improve the defense on the first day of the draft! We still need a speedy WR who can catch/stretch the D.
Better get more than a single 1st Rd pick for OBJ and Njoku in a trade.

with OBJ's ACL and davids stats? sorry. Id offer a 3rd and a 5th max.
better to keep them.dave seems to be steadily improving
he dont look much like a dave LOL

too soon for a sleeper pick at DE? look at the size and length of this kid! upside.

Last edited:
mack wilsons not a starter? he's played hurt all year.he was much faster his rookie year
taki looks huge.probably covid and bad/not available coaches.taki-no more twinkies! this is apart of coaching.
we do not play a "normal" 4-3 LB core though do we? well, we do on obvious run plays only.
do you read a word I wrote? a S can play nickel,in fact maybe better as they are generally better tacklers too
this cover2 ideology is BS.its not better.the spanner in the works is the running QB.

we are facing 3rd and 18 right? OFF shows 4 wide.we play 4 CB in the 4-3 I mentioned.its a 100% pass right? 6 DB's
snap-the field opens up the QB rolls out and breaks free.now what?he's free to run for 12 yards before having to beat a defender
wilson has to cover half the field now-he looks slow or could it be If he had real LB in
position he wouldn't have to run 25 yards to make a play.the OLB CB's are easily blocked in the open field and mack/taki arrive late.
1st down baltimore.

which players do we need to change to improve this team? you say 2? I say just 1.upgrading 1 man could transform this entire D.
joe woods.
I don't think Wilson is a starter and as far as the Chad Henne run it's on the DE to hold containment, but it also goes to my point. The lack of talent and depth. Our defense could not chase down Chad fucking Henne on a third and 14. Be it CB's, Safeties or Lb'ers. And if Wilson's injury slowed him down it is what it is and we'll see how he comes back in 2021. The line should've brought Henne down for a sack or held containment first and foremost. Also we had two LB'ers on that play. Goodson and Malcolm Smith our fastest LB'er meaning 5 DB's and that Wilson wasn't on the field. CB's MJ Stewart, TMitch, Ward and Safeties Sendejo and I think Harrison were playing what looks like a Quarters coverage with 2 deep Safeties. Also not a bad D call for the 4 receivers set they lined up in with that down and distance. It looks to me like poor awareness and execution more than Woods' call.

Would you have called a different D?

Takitaki's development is great. Good job by the coaching staff to get him up to speed.

I'd keep adding and building this defense and see what guys like Takitaki, Phillips, Wilson, MJ Stewart, Malcolm Smith and those big young CB's on the PS look like after being in the same D for more than a year. Let's see how they look when they don't have to think about it and just go to the ball.

Also Zegura was saying on CBD that this Boise St. DE Curtis Weaver from we stole off of Miami's PS early last year was a hot commodity and when the Browns acquired him several other teams, who also do their scouting homework, had put in claims on him including the Rams. The Browns were lucky to be "awarded" him. He was out for the year with an ankle injury, but he has talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom