Baker Mayfield 2020 | Barking Hard

Baker Mayfield 2020

Shep

Awards
Nothing matters more. It's time to get into it.

- We know what Orlovsky thinks. He believes Baker is gonna be one of the better QBs in the NFL, last year was an aberration.

- Interesting: As far as Fantasy, if Baker had projected the back half of the year to the entire season? 3rd rated PFF QB. In spite of everything, he did play better in the 2nd half of the season.

- Javonovitch and others have been blown away by his work ethic. Apparently has all kinds of color coded notebooks, works his ass off, has the newcomers gobsmacked. He really is That Guy.

- I've stated that no young QB could've overcome the 2019 clusterfuck... but I do think Baker happily plateaued in life and perhaps came back feeling his oats a bit too much. He seems to have acknowledged that and is keeping his mouth shut while getting his mind and body at their peak.

I believe he's gonna be what he's always been (except last year), an elite QB and team leader. I actually have zero doubt about it.

Y'all?

Nothing matters more. It's time to get into it.

- We know what Orlovsky thinks. He believes Baker is gonna be one of the better QBs in the NFL, last year was an aberration.

- Interesting: As far as Fantasy, if Baker had projected the back half of the year to the entire season? 3rd rated PFF QB. In spite of everything, he did play better in the 2nd half of the season.

- Javonovitch and others have been blown away by his work ethic. Apparently has all kinds of color coded notebooks, works his ass off, has the newcomers gobsmacked. He really is That Guy.

- I've stated that no young QB could've overcome the 2019 clusterfuck... but I do think Baker happily plateaued in life and perhaps came back feeling his oats a bit too much. He seems to have acknowledged that and is keeping his mouth shut while getting his mind and body at their peak.

I believe he's gonna be what he's always been (except last year), an elite QB and team leader. I actually have zero doubt about it.

Y'all?

This is sad considering there may not be a season to be had..... At least we can hope for a condensed one...

Just heard on NFL Network the Browns are starting training camp on July 24 for rookies, July 28 for veterans.

And yes, I do think Mayfield is ready for a breakout year.

I meant he would've been the #3 fantasy QB, BTW.

I have never, ever looked at a Browns offense and thought, "There's no way to stop this." I honestly get that vibe, like it's too diverse and inscrutable, the playcaller is too good, and the talent too elite to be stopped for any substantial period of time.

Just feels like the stars have aligned. I've had plenty of seasons in which I felt we had overall talent to contribute towards a high-flying offense, but this is the first time we've had such a clear lack of issues which need to be worked around.

Which position groups would anyone give up?

This OL might actually be better than the line which boasted Thomas, Bitonio, Mack and Schwartz. Everyone is around that area of skill, with the obvious exception of 73 - but 73 might be the biggest believer in Wills.
This WR group is better than anything since Gordon and the meh crew. Odell and Landry are 1,000 yard guys on a disappointing year, and nothing suggests DPJ and Wood won't be serviceable in a pinch or a solid #3. The talent is there.
This RB group isn't comparable to the expansion Browns. You have to go back to Byner/Mack to get close. I honestly wouldn't trade Nick Chubb for a single back in the NFL. I know there are some great ones, but I would take Chubb.
This TE group is deeper and more talented than Barnidge and Cameron.
This QB, again, just isn't comparable to anything in the expansion era. With all due respect, Baker is likely to surpass Kosar within the next two or three years. That's not shitting on Kosar, that's just acknowledging the worst of our quarterback still includes 20+ touchdowns and 3,800 yards on a season.

Then there is the coach. While he still has to prove it, I will say that the personnel fit his system like a fucking glove. That's already an improvement over anything we've had since returning. We're always a fucking mismatch. Always built for a different system or comprised of a conglomeration of players who fit different systems. This time around feels more unified in approach than ever.

I just don't see Mayfield having a bad year. I felt the same way last year but I had to ignore a lot of shit to get there. This year, nothing needs to be overlooked or viewed optimistically. Theoretically, we should have one of the top offenses in the league.

Absolutely. I sift through it and come out with the same result, BDU. We're better than we've ever been (since 1999) at every position group. Maybe I could relent that we're as good as that brief all-star OL, both "excellent."

I'll take this playcaller, QB, and skill group with ease. Loved reading MK's response to the question, will be see stacked boxes? The answer was sure, and this offense is stocked up with "mirror plays," passes that look just like runs in every single way until it's play-action.

Zimmer didn't like audibles. Sounds like a personal problem. Play-action based offense begs for it.

Just feels like the stars have aligned. I've had plenty of seasons in which I felt we had overall talent to contribute towards a high-flying offense, but this is the first time we've had such a clear lack of issues which need to be worked around.

Which position groups would anyone give up?

This OL might actually be better than the line which boasted Thomas, Bitonio, Mack and Schwartz. Everyone is around that area of skill, with the obvious exception of 73 - but 73 might be the biggest believer in Wills.
This WR group is better than anything since Gordon and the meh crew. Odell and Landry are 1,000 yard guys on a disappointing year, and nothing suggests DPJ and Wood won't be serviceable in a pinch or a solid #3. The talent is there.
This RB group isn't comparable to the expansion Browns. You have to go back to Byner/Mack to get close. I honestly wouldn't trade Nick Chubb for a single back in the NFL. I know there are some great ones, but I would take Chubb.
This TE group is deeper and more talented than Barnidge and Cameron.
This QB, again, just isn't comparable to anything in the expansion era. With all due respect, Baker is likely to surpass Kosar within the next two or three years. That's not shitting on Kosar, that's just acknowledging the worst of our quarterback still includes 20+ touchdowns and 3,800 yards on a season.

Then there is the coach. While he still has to prove it, I will say that the personnel fit his system like a fucking glove. That's already an improvement over anything we've had since returning. We're always a fucking mismatch. Always built for a different system or comprised of a conglomeration of players who fit different systems. This time around feels more unified in approach than ever.

I just don't see Mayfield having a bad year. I felt the same way last year but I had to ignore a lot of shit to get there. This year, nothing needs to be overlooked or viewed optimistically. Theoretically, we should have one of the top offenses in the league.

The only thing missing is continuity and that appears to be on the way. When you have a quarterback who has had four different head coaches in less than three years, you know you have a problem with continuity. But with the personnel we have, it is just a matter of time playing together. We have the talent to be the best. Go Browns!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">In case you forgot how good Baker Mayfield is: <a href="https://t.co/BpgtOeNgWE">pic.twitter.com/BpgtOeNgWE</a></p>— Dave (@SuperBowlBaker) <a href="https://twitter.com/SuperBowlBaker/status/1289294607046434818?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 31, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yeah agree Nick, all we have at this time is glimpses of preparation and individual off season efforts. It's light fare. This damn virus has really f'd with our favorite distraction from the daily grind.

Gonna be fun when someone shows up fat lol. This many players, SOMEBODY will, and they'll likely claim they're adding bulk for strength and durability or something.

Fat Bowe, Callaway, 2019Baker, it's always someone.

Although, I'm struggling to predict who it'll be.

The player, after Baker, I'd love to show up being dialed in and as serious as a heart attack is Greedy. He has so much talent, but also so much work to do. Especially man-to-man in short/medium range. Has to get that footwork down.

Last edited:
Yeah agree Nick, all we have at this time is glimpses of preparation and individual off season efforts. It's light fare. This damn virus has really f'd with our favorite distraction from the daily grind.

Gonna be fun when someone shows up fat lol. This many players, SOMEBODY will, and they'll likely claim they're adding bulk for strength and durability or something.

Fat Bowe, Callaway, 2019Baker, it's always someone.

Although, I'm struggling to predict who it'll be.

The player, after Baker, I'd love to show up being dialed in and as serious as a heart attack is Greedy. He has so much talent, but also so much work to do. Especially man-to-man in short/medium range. Has to get that footwork down.

I think Greedy will be ok as long as he stays away from negative influences...

Okay, I'm officially buying into "the best shape of my life" stuff...

EemEMjEWsAIuGOe

Cynthia Frelund is a new tame nerd for the NFL Network, and she projects Baker Mayfield to have a lot of play-action success (+4K yards, 25, tds, 13 picks) in 2020.

Sure heck yeah cool ... say whatever ya want Cyndy.

cynthia-frelund.jpeg.256x256_q100_crop-smart.jpg

Top Bottom