Baker Mayfield 2020 | Page 24 | Barking Hard

Baker Mayfield 2020

After the Colts game, the team reported that X-rays on Baker's ribs were negative. Then, after the Bengals game, an anonymous 'league source' (not team source) said that he was playing with cracked ribs...which has not been confirmed by the team. So it's mere speculation that there are any 'broken ribs' at this point. Again, not an excuse.

first off, there is no such thing as “cracked ribs”. They are either broken, or they’re not. As you eluded to, the X-rays were negative. nickers is grasping for a defense of Mayfields poor play this year.

Well yes and no JCL. There are different degrees of how they are broken, and do get referred to as cracked ribs when they are not broken in to separate pieces.

"Many broken ribs are merely cracked. While still painful, cracked ribs aren't as potentially dangerous as ribs that have been broken into separate pieces. A jagged edge of broken bone can damage major blood vessels or internal organs, such as the lung."

"Many times, it’s just a crack or hairline fracture, and the rib doesn’t move out of place. "

Baker played well today. I wanted to eat his liver for missing Hooper free in the end zone. But he played a very solid game.
The Browns won. That’s great! But to say Mayfield played well? 12-22 204 yards, 2 fumbles (the 2nd one he got away with) took 3 sacks, missed wide open receivers and left 2 td’s on the board. He did not play well. He is lucky he has the running backs he has

The Browns won. That’s great! But to say Mayfield played well? 12-22 204 yards, 2 fumbles (the 2nd one he got away with) took 3 sacks, missed wide open receivers and left 2 td’s on the board. He did not play well. He is lucky he has the running backs he has
I disagree. Look at the game again with open mind and then let me know. Baker played a good game. He moved the ball well with very little help from the running game for 40 minutes. Yes, he overthrew Hooper for an easy TD, but besides that he was fairly accurate and completed some difficult first downs in crucial moments. I'm happy with what I saw.

Not sure I would call it a good game for Baker. I'd call it adequate for the Browns to be able to win this game against PHI.

Baker didn't move the ball for 40 minutes when the run game wasn't going. Unless the 2nd drive of the game counts for all 40 minutes. Up until the running game got going it was

3 plays 6 yards
13 plays 95 yards (includes 20+ yards on the ground and 13 in PI yards)
5 plays 32 yards
3 plays 3 yards
5 plays 15 yards
2 plays -8 yards and fumble
5 plays 47 yards (most coming on one play) sack ends drive for FG
6 plays 10 yards
8 plays 19 yards when starting at PHI 48
Then Chubb went Chubb

The game plan was clear, just as it has been for a while. Try to have Baker throw as little as possible and rely on the run game. It was also pretty clear on why CLE struggled most of the day to run, which was the PHI D game plan was to focus all of their attention to stopping the run.

I guess it comes down to each person's definition of a good game. For me and when talking a QB, simply not preventing your team from winning, and the D having a game plan that says we are not afraid of your passing game I would not call good. In letter grade terms it's a C to C+

Last edited:
If today's game is playing well we'll not get too far. Baker was OK, but there were some broken plays that he had to improvise on like the first down run off left tackle.

Jim Schwartz' defense made a point of stopping the run and did so for the most part, but not long enough. I think we'll continue to see the box stacked and teams force Baker to win games. Not Chubb and Hunt.

Plain and simple... Baker made some big throws out there today... You can underscore that all you geniuses like... The fact remains... We're 8-3 with Baker at the Helm... It sucks for you guys because you want him to throw 10 TD's and 400 yards every week... This isnt Madden fellas... Enjoy the ride... As long as Baker isnt costing us games... I'm fine with him at the helm...

Baker played well today. I wanted to eat his liver for missing Hooper free in the end zone. But he played a very solid game.

Baker was not good today. He was inaccurate, turned the ball over and led a very inefficient offense moving the football very poorly all day long. The offense didn't score its first point (a FG) until there was 9 minutes left in the 3rd quarter...and didn't get the ball into the end zone until there was 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter. That is not efficiency or good QB play.

Quick snapshot:
- 65 plays and 13 offensive points; 0.2 PPP...terribly inefficient.
- 12 total offensive drives; 2 to end the halves...so only 10 really matter.
- 10 offensive drives and only 3 of which ended in offensive points.
- 7 drives with 6 total plays or less
- 6 drives in which we couldn't get a 2nd first down
- 2 drives over 50 yards all day

The offense was not efficient and Baker did not play well. The good news is that an ugly win is still a win...and sometimes that is how you have to win games in the NFL.

i swear people don't account for the conditions during this stretch of bad weather games. other top qb's have looked poor as well throwing the ball in these 3 games Carr, Watson, Wentz.

Watson threw for 160 yds yards on 10 more attempts than baker. he threw for 344 and 2 TD today in good conditions
Carr just threw for 275 and 3 TDS against the chiefs last night

so carr threw for 111 yds and watson scored 7 points against the browns ......... NEWSFLASH its because of the conditions no NFL team is putting up tons of yards and points in the conditions the last 3 games.

if Baker looks bad against jax next week in sunny FL then maybe its time to worry but i doubt it.

Horrible weather, not at the top of his game, and we're still winning.
He also completed 22 in a row this year in a win, where he carried the team.

Consistency, he just needs consistency. Derek Carr looked very good yesterday, but he didn't "walk out of the box" that way.

I'm totally fine with giving him time, praising him when he nails it, and critiquing him when he needs to do better.

Good team football in tough conditions. The QB did his job. Some people want perfection. They're not going to get it. Baker is playing pretty good. He can get better and I suspect he will.
He’s going to have to if this team is to take the next step. And that is not only beating the teams they are supposed to win, but also beating Pit, Bal and Tenn. I will be a broken record again. 10-6 won’t get this team in. Anything less than playoffs is a 2007-8 situation = disappointment. The window is small. Take advantage while there is a little talent still here.

He’s going to have to if this team is to take the next step. And that is not only beating the teams they are supposed to win, but also beating Pit, Bal and Tenn. I will be a broken record again. 10-6 won’t get this team in. Anything less than playoffs is a 2007-8 situation = disappointment. The window is small. Take advantage while there is a little talent still here.

I'll take 10-6 this year after being served 0-16!

I'll take 10-6 this year after being served 0-16!
Going 3-3 and finishing 10-6 would be playing mediocre to end the season. If you are happy with mediocre play when there is an opportunity to rise above mediocrity, we will have to agree to disagree. Right now there is blood in the water. I want to see a feeding frenzy of victories entering the playoffs. This team gets into the playoffs then look out. Then it’s a new season and even the unthinkable is possible. I hope the players, staff and front office have a different mindset than finishing weak at 3-3 in the next 6 games. If they have a mindset of being happy at 10-6, then this team is defeated already. I don’t want a defeatist mindset. Been there and seen that since the return in ‘99. It’s time to get behind this team and encourage a strong finish going into the playoffs ;)

Going 3-3 and finishing 10-6 would be playing mediocre to end the season. If you are happy with mediocre play when there is an opportunity to rise above mediocrity, we will have to agree to disagree. Right now there is blood in the water. I want to see a feeding frenzy of victories entering the playoffs. This team gets into the playoffs then look out. Then it’s a new season and even the unthinkable is possible. I hope the players, staff and front office have a different mindset than finishing weak at 3-3 in the next 6 games. If they have a mindset of being happy at 10-6, then this team is defeated already. I don’t want a defeatist mindset. Been there and seen that since the return in ‘99. It’s time to get behind this team and encourage a strong finish going into the playoffs ;)

Baby steps dude.... What they are doing now is encouraging after 20 years of fucking futility...

Baby steps dude.... What they are doing now is encouraging after 20 years of fucking futility...
No more baby steps. You have to seize the opportunity when it’s staring you in the face. How many times have we seen these stories in the past where a bad team goes to the playoffs the very next year and in some cases to the SuperBowl? It’s our turn now. The time is ripe for the pickin. Baker’s been here for this his third year. He has all the talent in the world around him. The defense is showing huge improvement the last couple games holding teams scoring way down. Not sure why you wouldn’t want to encourage leaps rather than baby steps?

H
i swear people don't account for the conditions during this stretch of bad weather games. other top qb's have looked poor as well throwing the ball in these 3 games Carr, Watson, Wentz.

Watson threw for 160 yds yards on 10 more attempts than baker. he threw for 344 and 2 TD today in good conditions
Carr just threw for 275 and 3 TDS against the chiefs last night

so carr threw for 111 yds and watson scored 7 points against the browns ......... NEWSFLASH its because of the conditions no NFL team is putting up tons of yards and points in the conditions the last 3 games.

if Baker looks bad against jax next week in sunny FL then maybe its time to worry but i doubt it.
Huh? Conditions? Are we suddenly playing baseball? Let’s not forget this is Cleveland and he better learn to excel in said conditions. If not we all know what those 3 letters NFL stand for

Top Bottom