Baker Mayfield 2020 | Page 27 | Barking Hard

Baker Mayfield 2020

For Johnson I am sure the fumble against PIT was a factor. But Chubb going down, Chubb coming back, and game plans against the opponents probably played a factor as well. He is seeing the field about as much as he did the first 3 weeks of the season.

For Njoku he saw his highest number of snaps for the season yesterday.
D Johnson has one snap on offense in the last two games, but ok. Njoku played 34 of the 67 snaps for 51% of the snaps and he was targeted once. Bryant played 39 snaps for 58% but was not targeted at all by comparison. Hooper played 45 snaps for 67%, was targeted 5 times for 3 catches and 33 yards. Njoku and Hooper did not play on ST's and Bryant held down the last gasp onside kick attempt that was dribbled down the field and subsequently killed the eagles.

D Johnson has one snap on offense in the last two games, but ok. Njoku played 34 of the 67 snaps for 51% of the snaps and he was targeted once. Bryant played 39 snaps for 58% but was not targeted at all by comparison. Hooper played 45 snaps for 67%, was targeted 5 times for 3 catches and 33 yards. Njoku and Hooper did not play on ST's and Bryant held down the last gasp onside kick attempt that was dribbled down the field and subsequently killed the eagles.
For the first 3 weeks of the season D Johnson's snaps were 4, 2, and 0. The last 3 they were 6, 0, and 1. My point was that game plans, how the games played out, and having Chubb/Hunt combo likely has more to do with his reduced count than the fumble in the PIT game.

The targets for the TEs this past week are good numbers. The TEs not named Hooper are not seeing much of targets, or really the group. But considering the number of options for passing to, and how CLE is trying to throw as little as needed, there really are not a lot of targets to go around.

the pressure put on baker last year? he should shit diamonds. it was the playcalling and coaching did that.
that effects his mind and his play. KS saw this and asked himself "how can I best support this young player?"
nothing to do with coaching? it has everything to do with coaching.
he is much improved this year (yes he has made rookie mistakes) over last year.why?
coaching/playcalling

If you are waiting for bake to become peyton it aint gonna happen.we are 7-3 y'all.CB fans should all be jumping into lake erie
I understand your point,coaches dont play but football is not played in a vacuum.there are many many variables to deal with
KS has successfully minimised those things.7-3
A lot to try and unpack here.

I am not quite sure where you are going with pressure last year and it's association with reading coverage pre and post snap. I'll go with the flow here on what is in your reply.

Sure Baker was under pressure last year. He had internal pressure, external pressure, and actual pass rush pressure on the field. In all of those cases some was beyond his control, and others were self inflicted. We could deep dive in to every game and every play last season if we want to go to it. But short of doing that let me just say that last year was not all coaching/play calling. In no way am I saying coaching and play calling last year were not bad in many instances, and at many times did Baker no favors. Only that all the issues with Baker's play last year cannot be pinned to just coaches and play calling.

If the idea here is that last year some how set Baker back on how to read pre snap and post snap coverage, including basics like cover 1, all I can say is if that's the case Baker isn't long for the league.

KS and the FO have done a great job this year of taking pressure off of the QB and the passing game. As well as setting an offensive identity, and getting players on the OL to fit that identity. No doubt on that. How KS is running this offense is for sure coaching and everything to do with coaching. But this is where we are mixing the offense/offensive unit with the play at an individual position on that unit. At this point they have set their identity as a team that wants to run you in to submission, and wants its QB to throw the ball 25 times or less. When you are seeing a QB miss read basic coverages pre-snap, even when putting a player in motion to get a better pre snap read, I have a difficult time buying the overall approach is just about "how can I best support this young player". That really starts to look like good coaching that is going we can't trust our QB to be the center of our offense, what we can do with him is limited for various reasons, and we want to give him as few of opportunities to hurt us as possible.

Other than less INTs, what is something Baker playing the QB position is much improved on from last year? I am honestly asking for some type of examples that are not about the offensive unit.

I am not waiting for Baker to become Peyton. I agree that's not happening. That's what one would hope for when taking a QB #1 overall, but that's not on Baker. Baker didn't draft himself. I don't hold Baker up to the standard of being a #1 over all pick. I do hold him to the standard of play needed from the QB position to win games against above .500 teams and in the playoffs. I have not seen that level of play, or any progress to him getting to that level of play. Right now all I have seen is consistent inconsistency of play week to week for 2 1/2 years.

No question there are many, many, many, many,.... variables that go in to coaching, game plans, depth charts, etc. That is why some things are simple like they are playing so and so because he played for him 7 years ago on another team, or an entire approach is around how can I best support this young player. Good coaching is about finding ways to win with what you have, and an approach which that leverages what you can do well, and protect from what you do not do well.

I am very happy to see CLE 7-3 and the performance of the coaching staff. Critique of Baker's play, and looking at the longer term future of the team can and are separate for me. I can enjoy seeing CLE win games while being concerns about 20~25M tied up on Baker in 2022 if they picked up his 5th year option and 1/4 to a 1/3 of their entire salary cap tied up on Baker if they were to extend him. I don't want CLE to be a one good season team every so often. We have sort of seen this movie before from CLE and other teams.

Other than less INTs
you know ted bundy was a great guy..except for those murders
KS and the FO have done a great job this year of taking pressure off of the QB and the passing game.
but you say baker hasn't improved an if he did it had little to do with coaching?

the MASSIVE improvement this team has made is 95% KS and the FO. that cannot be over stated
we are 7-3 you want proof of improvement? there it is. If our injuries on D didnt happen? who knows where we might be.
TBH I back and forth on #6 myself. I just hope he can get a little bit better.the robber play is hard to defend.
keep the faith

Last edited:
And there you have it. A soccer fan from down under and a moron who lives down under in his moms basement thinking he’s a rock star lol. That’s a helluva a tandem football iq right there now

Hey asshat... I don't live in my Moms basement... I live smack dab in the middle of a Golf Course in Quail Hollow in a beautiful Condo next to a long fairway... But hey thanks for playing and showing us your innate stupidity once more... Now go genuflect in front of your Cam Newton fathead..

Now go jack off to your Cam Newton fathead..
excited seinfeld GIF

you know ted bundy was a great guy..except for those murders

but you say baker hasn't improved an if he did it had little to do with coaching?

the MASSIVE improvement this team has made is 95% KS and the FO. that cannot be over stated
we are 7-3 you want proof of improvement? there it is. If our injuries on D didnt happen? who knows where we might be.
TBH I back and forth on #6 myself. I just hope he can get a little bit better.the robber play is hard to defend.
keep the faith
You are losing me here and seem to be mingle offensive unit with individual position play. This is why I asked and will ask again, what has Baker, as far as playing the QB position, improved upon? Aside from the INTs that is (which one could argue is tied to him being given less opportunities to throw and throw INTs). Because I haven't seen much of any improvement from the actual play at the position (still inconsistent week to week, accuracy not much improved, Y/A not improved, reading coverage not improved, seeing the middle of the field no improved, getting through progressions not improved, etc.). I am not pining those on the staff or KS. Just as I don't pin all of that on the former staffs. These things mostly go back to why I will say coaches coach, and players play.

Asking your QB to throw the ball less, limiting his situations of throwing, and basically trying to keep the ball out of his hands throwing the ball is not an improvement of the Baker's play at the position.

I am not saying the work by KS, the coaching staff, and FO have not made massive improvements to the teams overall performance. I am not saying the offensive unit as a whole is not improved (though still pretty bad at 3rd down conversion rate). They seemed to have looked at their offensive roster, including what Baker is capable of/can be trusted to do, and built their offensive identity around it. That seems to an approach/identity based around running the ball, keeping these score close, and asking very little of the QB as far as throwing the ball. That's not really improvement of play from the QB position, or improvement by the QB of playing the position. That's improvement of hiding the warts of the QB play and current abilities at the position of QB.

And there you have it. A soccer fan from down under and a moron who lives down under in his moms basement thinking he’s a rock star lol. That’s a helluva a tandem football iq right there now
the entire world will stop and think of soccer today my friend

Diego Maradona dead of heart attack at age 60, Argentina declares three days of mourning for football legend​

btw-not a huge soccer fan, well I am today.

Last edited:
Never heard of him and never would have had you not brought it up. After Pele, they all fail in comparison.

Different players, yet mercurial in their own way.
Maradona was god on earth in Argentian and Napoli.

To compare, he's in the Jordan, Kobe, Bird, Kareem, Wilt, LeBron, Timmy D tier.
Not to mention that every street has his mural in Napoli, man was something else whilst living the most unsportsmanlike lifestyle.

RIP to the Little Green One, true footballer who played as he lived, to the fullest.

Different players, yet mercurial in their own way.
Maradona was god on earth in Argentian and Napoli.

To compare, he's in the Jordan, Kobe, Bird, Kareem, Wilt, LeBron, Timmy D tier.
Not to mention that every street has his mural in Napoli, man was something else whilst living the most unsportsmanlike lifestyle.

RIP to the Little Green One, true footballer who played as he lived, to the fullest.
I have been to Napoli... Downtown is a dump like Detroit...the Outskirts are beautiful...

Top Bottom