Browns - Baker requests trade, Browns don't want to trade Baker... | Barking Hard

Browns Baker requests trade, Browns don't want to trade Baker...

Stylepoints

Memento Mori
Awards

So in chronological order:

2018, Browns select Baker Mayfield 1st overall under HC Clueless Hue. Baker makes the all rookie team. 7-8-1 record.

2019, OC Freddy Kitchens becomes HC. 6-10 record.

2020, Kevin Stefanski becomes HC, 10-6 record, Steelers are beaten in the playoffs.

2021, Week 2, still under Kevin Stefanski, Baker Mayfield tears his labrum, stays on the field. 8-9 record.

Offseason speculation: Browns try to trade for Deshaun Watson.
After getting rejected, Browns want to talk to Baker.
Baker says "suck it" and requests trade.

So the Browns handled the first overall exactly how they shouldnt have handled the situation on a macro and micro level.

3 HCs in 4 seasons.

Trying to trade for a big ? at QB, while you have a QB in house and then expect your QB to stay happy after your failed to land questionable QB.

It is just too much of a shit show to think about.

I wish Baker all the best in [Seattle?], I hope the Browns will un-retire The Jersey and we will have another revolving door policy at QB for the next decade or so of failed draft picks and problematic Free Agents.

Last edited:
Offseason: Browns try to trade for Deshaun Watson.
After getting rejected, Browns want to talk to Baker.
Baker says "suck it" and requests trade.

Personally, I don't think it was that the Browns tried to trade for Watson. I think it was...

1. Mort reporting someone from the Browns said they want an "adult" at quarterback.
2. Repeated leaks during the Watson attempts stating the Browns were going to move on even if Watson chose another team.

You can't come back from that. Going after Watson was one thing, trashing Mayfield during the process is another.

Personally, I don't think it was that the Browns tried to trade for Watson.
I couldnt find hard proof, other than speculation, that the Browns actually made an offer to the Texans, so you might be right.

Anyone have a real source, and not a twitter whore about this news?

On that note, what source does 'Mort' have that the Browns actually said this?

It is kinda funny that you dont believe that the Browns wanted Watson, but on the same tokwn do believe that they said that Baker ia not an adult.

WTF are you guys talking about? Its dey job to upgrade this team,baker was prolly out next year anyway.
I mean what are we talking about here?If baker was the guy he would have a contract.he would have gotten what he deserves.
but he didnt because hes not very good.I honestly think the kid has bad eyes.myopia.which he could never disclose because it would end his career.not even 2 months ago baker made threats about asking for a trade. who gives AF who said what to whom.the kid spins out emotionally like he always has.hes not going on to be successful elsewhere LOL. he may never start for a team again.we'll be better off in the long run.our team is still good.you guys searching for someone to blame? BLAME BAKER FFS! he blew this up himself.

I couldnt find hard proof, other than speculation, that the Browns actually made an offer to the Texans, so you might be right.

Anyone have a real source, and not a twitter whore about this news?

On that note, what source does 'Mort' have that the Browns actually said this?

It is kinda funny that you dont believe that the Browns wanted Watson, but on the same tokwn do believe that they said that Baker ia not an adult.

Rapoport and a few others had said the Texans only allowed Watson to interview with teams who had officially submit an offer the Texans would be willing to accept should Watson be willing to waive his non-trade clause. So, basically, every interviewing team had submit a trade offer.

No idea who Mort's source was, but the guy has been around forever and is extremely well respected. I'm not going to speculate that he's a liar. I think it's weird for him to be putting it out, but I don't doubt it was said.

I also do believe the Browns wanted Watson. Not sure where you're getting it from that I think they didn't/don't want him.

Rapoport and a few others had said the Texans only allowed Watson to interview with teams who had officially submit an offer the Texans would be willing to accept should Watson be willing to waive his non-trade clause. So, basically, every interviewing team had submit a trade offer.

No idea who Mort's source was, but the guy has been around forever and is extremely well respected. I'm not going to speculate that he's a liar. I think it's weird for him to be putting it out, but I don't doubt it was said.

I also do believe the Browns wanted Watson. Not sure where you're getting it from that I think they didn't/don't want him.
Hm.
So they could or could not have said it.
Bottom line is, they fckd it up. :)

You said this, so thats why:
Personally, I don't think it was that the Browns tried to trade for Watson.

Hm.
So they could or could not have said it.
Bottom line is, they fckd it up. :)

You said this, so thats why:

Ohhh I get you. Bad phrasing on my part. I just meant I think Baker is more upset that his name was being dragged through the mud during the trade negotiations than he is about the trade negotiations happening.

Atlanta are trying to land Watson, but nobody in their organisation is saying negative things about Matt Ryan in the press. That could be the difference. We've known for weeks the Browns were trying to get in on the Watson sweeps. It was only after the "adult" jab and the "we move on no matter what" reports that Baker requested a trade.

It's such a weird situation. What I cannot get over is after the trade request, the Browns immediate denied the request and said he will not be traded. Then Haslam, Berry and Stefanski all reportedly tried to jump on the jet, fly to Austin and connect with Baker to try to make it right. They really went from not wanting him at all, to reaffirming their commitment?

The messaging is so conflicting. In just the last few months:

- The Browns commit to Baker for 2022, saying they believe he can bounce back and find his stride.
- At the combine the Browns apparently reiterated that belief, but said they would try to upgrade if the opportunity presented itself.
- The Browns moved in on Watson, and it starts leaking the Browns will move on from Mayfield no matter what.
- The trade attempt for Watson fails, so the Browns are all in on Mayfield and willing to fly to his home to try and fix the relationship.

I don't understand how the messaging can be this conflicting, this devoid of consistency. It's fucking bipolar.

Tua literally watched Miami talk about trading for Deshaun Watson the entire season. Rumors, scenarios, Miami media taking about acquiring Watson the entire season...he kept his mouth shut and went about his business. Baker hears about the Browns wanting Watson for a day and proceeds to tweet out a farewell and demands a trade.

Yeah, bring on Jimmy G or Matt Ryan.

Thats why I doubt if all the twitter reporting (click whoring) is true.
It makes either little sense for it to be true, or if true it's just bad and dumb management.

I'm beginning to wonder people in the organisation simply aren't all on the same page. As other have pointed out: Russell Wilson wanted nothing to do with this organisation, Deshaun Watson wanted nothing to do with this organisation, now Baker Mayfield wants nothing to do with this organisation.

For as respected as our front office and coaching staff is supposed to be, everyone is running in the opposite direction.

For example:

it starts leaking the Browns will move on from Mayfield no matter what.
this is BS. that was the sports media's opinions and thats all. It never happened.
As other have pointed out: Russell Wilson wanted nothing to do with this organisation, Deshaun Watson wanted nothing to do with this organisation, now Baker Mayfield wants nothing to do with this organisation.
yeah? so fu&k all of them!

So when OBJ did this you threw him under the bus as quick as you like.now you're throwing the FO under because its your nephew? the team comes 1st.not your baby boy bubby baker brat mayfield.

I thought Ivy League guys were smart?

Matt Ryan may have been target all along??

I'm going to reserve judgement on that until the scenario fully plays out. Who knows what they have up their sleeve? Maybe a trade for another QB is on the horizon? Who knows? But there is plenty of time to see what goes down.

this is BS. that was the sports media's opinions and thats all. It never happened.

You're entitled to your opinion but I don't believe some of the most respected NFL reporters are just making it up for the fuck of it.

I don't care anymore. You can still hate Mayfield without pretending the Browns front office didn't mismanage the shit out of this thing.

I've been a vocal supporter of this front office. Love the draft picks, some of the savvy trades and solid free agent signings. But they didn't handle this one the right way. Period.

I don't care anymore. You can still hate Mayfield without pretending the Browns front office didn't mismanage the shit out of this thing.
Its not the FO job to kiss his arse or ask his permission.the GM is his boss.he told his boss he cant do his job.
I do hate BM now,after he pulled this old trick of going to the media and the public.hes got zero trade value now and the browns will be the ones to pay for it.bakers blamed the browns and you believe him. I dont.
If he had just ignored this and concentrated on his rehab?none of this happens.he'd still be our starting QB.
BTW he waited for watson to turn us down before demanding a trade.why?because hes a nasty entitled little cu^t.
If doing the GM's job of improving this team is mismanagement? I dunno what to tell you.I could list you 6 QB's who have had the same treatment recently and none of those guys got upset. still you cant figure out whos to blame?

Baker quit on the team at the end of the season. Well known. Locker room, coaches, front office all pissed. He then "disappeared" and had zero contact with the team while he and his Instagram bride criss crossed the country partying. It was Baker who quit. Baker who put the team on notice. Baker who invited a trade scenario. Stop kidding yourselves. Baker has been trying to get out all season. He had his people go public that the offense needed to be changed or he wanted out. Come on. Kid is a d-bag.

A Baker fan approached him at his latest partying outing and said Baker please come back to Cleveland. "Fuck no" was his classy response.

Fuck him.

I thought Ivy League guys were smart?

Matt Ryan may have been target all along??
That is the mythology. As for THESE Ivy League dolts? The jury has been in on them for several years now, when it comes to the NFL and anything to do with the NFL they are fucking clueless. They have been fucking clueless. They will always be... Clueless.

No one in the NFL respects them. Absolutely no one. They were looked at as a joke their first go around and the rest of the NFL is looking at them as even bigger jokes than before.

Top Bottom