Breaking: Sources say training camp to open on-time in July | Page 3 | Barking Hard

Breaking: Sources say training camp to open on-time in July

The problem with these, uhm... less populated states? Shall we call them? They followed the "federal response," which must be put in quotes, so they haven't peaked yet. Now those states are skyrocketing, especially senior deaths (like Sweden) but some gnarly death percentages overall.

Not sure where you are getting your information, but it certainly doesn’t appear to be from a reliable source.

As I look at the data, I see no suggestion that the death rate is skyrocketing in any area of the country nor as the nation as a whole. The death rate in the United States has been remarkably stable for the past couple of weeks at about 1900 deaths per day on the average. It seems to be edging downward slightly, but that may be just normal variation. The same applies to the various states. For example, New York is relatively stable with about 325 deaths per day on the average. New Jersey has about 250, Ohio has about 45, Georgia has about 35, Nevada has about 7, Oklahoma has about 6 and California has about 75.

Understand that these are averages with day to day variations. For example, in the past 10 days, the California daily death totals have been: 32, 58, 86, 77, 90, 82, 77, 24, 71 and 93. As you can see, there is daily variability, but, overall, the data indicates relative stability in the rate over time. There is not an observable upward or downward trend from the data. The same is true for other states and for the nation as a whole. The national totals for the past 10 days are 1,157, 1,384, 2,470, 2,390, 2,201, 1,897, 1,691, 1,154, 1,324 and 2,350. Again, there is variability from day to day, but no trend.

It should be noted that occasionally a state will report a death total that is several times larger than prior days. A recent example is Pennsylvania. But I checked and found that that anomaly was due to an adjustment of the total for prior days.

I am, of course, aware that there are models out there that are forecasting significant changes in the future, but, as we all know, models can be made to say practically anything you want them to say. The data indicates no such thing.

Greater concentration of the virus creates worse outcomes, scientists say. More virus, like in a cluster, more symptoms. So getting it one to one is less than, say, clustered in a building with 100 people, or on a subway. Odds are many of them are infected, if these meat plant and retirement home totals predict anything, and they would.

That is essentially correct. It is the basic reason for the concentration of the virus in the New York/New Jersey area. Based on the number of active cases and the population of those two states, the chances that the next person a person in New York or New Jersey comes in contact will be someone with the virus is about 1.2%. In Ohio, it is 0.15%, in California, it is 0.11%, in Nevada it is 0.07% and in Montana, it is 0.004%

Outdoors, especially in heat, is many times safer. I'd strongly recommend doing everything outside all summer long, into September.

Right as rain, Lad, right as rain!

The biggest downside to reopening too early, in addition to it being a literal human sacrifice (especially of people over 65, which is disgusting), is how badly it's going to fuck the economy. Atlanta malls are open, no more assistance to small biz owners... but nobody's going there. Nobody. The giant ass malls are ghost towns because consumers don't wanna be used as crash test dummies for big corporations and the wealthy. "GO BUY, YOU MIGHT NOT DIE, WHO KNOWS?!"

First, reopening has nothing whatever to do with the death of people in nursing homes. That is a function of people in nursing homes being visited by people, including staff, who have the virus. It has nothing to do with people eating lunch or dinner in a restaurant. Second, we will see how quickly people start going out to eat or renew shopping at the mall. It isn’t worse than said businesses being closed. If you disagree, I would appreciate an explanation (preferably on the Church and State board, of couse).

It's fucked. California and NY are on the downsides of their curves because of lockdowns.

True for New York but not California. In this respect, California is similar to most red states. People in California do not generally take the subway to work. Most Californians drive their cars to work similar to the people in most red states. This limits their exposure to the virus.

In a month, all of California will be mostly open except for large inside gatherings. Georgia and Texas will be in the middle of it.

There is no evidence that California will have a significantly different reopening experience than Texas or Georgia. The conditions for those three states are similar.

I'm not sure how that's gonna work. Might need travel restrictions to keep them separated as much as possible.

Summer's gonna be about the red states, obviously.

You are talking nonsense.

Testing for covid-19 is still not reliable
and testing so far is on less than four
percent of our population, so 70,000 dead
could easily be over 100,000 dead
so your numbers and reality don’t match.

And every player on the opposing team including support, coaches, etc. tested negative?

Certainly. You don't play if you don't test negative. And, by the way, contrary to assertions to the contrary, the testing processes available to test for the coronavirus are highly accurate, particularly when performed under controlled conditions. It is expected that tests performed by team doctors will be performed appropriately and accurately.

Do you honestly believe that with all the things needed to be done to get from training camp to games that there won't be positive tests and players not infected thinking it's ok to play?

That is why it will be necessary to test each player repeatedly. Infected players will want to play, but you can't allow it to happen. So you test before every game.

Look, the bottom line for me is that everyone with a brain knows what's going on. Very agressive, contagious virus without (yet) an effective vaccine or treatment. The majority of people will not die but they will spread it around. They're are going to be people who won't be concerned about it. Back in the early 70's I was in the army and was required to get the swine flu vaccine. Other than that one I've never had a flu vaccine or any flu that I know of so maybe I'm asymtomatic. I justbdon't feel like spreading this one around..

Well, again, that is why it is necessary to test before every game. Either a player has the virus or he doesn't. If he does, he must be removed and isolated from the team.

We can go back and forth òn this all day. For every scenario you can come up with I can counter and vice versa. Solves nothing. I completely understand the need for people to get back to work whether it's everyday workers or football players. We're already seeing those choices being made and we'll see the results of those decisions soon enough.

And, finally, I'm with you. I want to see some football!

By the time, the country is fully open this summer, there will be adequate testing for the state health departments of the several states to do appropriate contact tracing and isolation of individuals who have the virus to contain the virus at manageable levels. There obviously won't be enough test kits to test all 330,000,000 Americans daily or weekly or at all. We don't need to get absurd with testing of the general public.

However, in the case of professional sports, the individual franchises and the leagues will be able to afford enough testing to test all personnel both before and during any training camp or similar team practice as needed to insure that no player with the virus can infect other players within the facility or on the field.

That can be done.

Last edited:
I'm on the front line (yes, a saying I'm sick of, as to me, it's just the job) and I'll say, for the most part, there are two things that shape one's opinion on if the country should open back up.

1. Are you still receiving your income
2. Are you bothered by limiting socialization

If you're still receiving your income and don't mind being a home body, you're okay with a very slow re-opening. Otherwise, you're ready to move towards a reasonable re-opening.

We're a different society than we were earlier this year. If you're concerned, then stay home, and limit your interactions.

Thank you for being on the front line OC!,and everyone else who
are working to help us get back to some semblance of whatever
what ever normal will be post Covid-19.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Iowa is the fastest growing COVID state at the moment with food processing plants finally testing at 60%, even higher. Similar in North Dakota, where a plant was inundated and then one worker (almost certainly) took it to a nearby retirement home, and 13 have died in short order.

California is staged opening because the curve is flat and on the way down. Same for NY, which is beginning to stage. The states that shut down biggest and fastest (mostly California and Washington) are way further along their curve than states that shut down later. It's a very real concern, a checkerboard recovery.

Saw a list of the fastest growing spots and the top 10 are all small-ish towns across the plains and through the south. The concern is way, way fewer medical services.

There's no real way to brave it out. Social distancing, or pulling out the match in the matchbook, is absolutely critical. Then mass testing and tracing, finally the vaccine. The economy will fully crater if any area opens up to early and we pull all assistance. Nobody's gonna swarm to the mall in areas still reporting scads of new cases.

That's scary shit. Nobody wants to land on a ventilator. We can't stay locked up forever, no doubt about that. And the economics of the situation are 100% part of the equation (crashed economy is a health risk all its own). But just pretending it's not happening will be the worst choice of all.

(BTW: Not being political, no interest. But we can't just keep the food flowing by saying, "Keep the food flowing." We have to figure out a way for the entire workforce to not get sick, thereby becoming a self-fulfilling prophesy. One plant is becoming the paradigm, really figuring it out before just jamming people in and avoiding testing.)

Last edited:
Encouraging numbers but what are they based on?
That is the great misnomer about this virus.
Testing is becoming more scarce each day because
we canÂ’t tell the truth, these numbers have no basis
In reality because the testing isnÂ’t there.

Current numbers of the dead involve only the tested
Current numbers of positive tests are only based on the tested
We have only tested four percent of the populati

Testing isnÂ’t very reliable and false positives and negatives abound.
This is an election year why test more people?, that would only hurt
Trumps poll numbers and chances of re-election, yes itÂ’s that simple.

I donÂ’t blame Trump for the virus but he has proved to be an empty
suit on matters that seriously affect our country regardless of party
unless your filthy rich already see who got paid pimping chloroquine!

Screw politics I want to buy tickets to games on Thursday night but
I canÂ’t trust that itÂ’s safe to do so, IÂ’ll watch from home if a season
moves forward this year but I donÂ’t trust how this has been handled
and I want to watch football beyond 2020...
Peace.

i agree on the testing for numbers of people that they are saying had the virus could be much higher.

you know damn well they are grouping people into the death numbers to inflate the death toll by saying they probably had covid just add them in even know they died from a heart attack they had a fever and a cough. add it to the covid death tally.

"We don't need to get absurd testing the general public." Wow. That's a quote worth noting. Not wasting anymore time on this. To each his own.

It appears that some people love to take things out of context. Here was the context:

"There obviously won't be enough test kits to test all 330,000,000 Americans daily or weekly or at all. We don't need to get absurd with testing of the general public."

In context, the point was that while there needs to be adequate testing of the general population for adequate contact tracing by the various state and local health departments to contain the virus, it will not be necessary to test every person multiple times. Trying to do that would be a logistical nightmare and define the law of diminishing returns. In other words, it would be absurd.

However, in the case of sports such as football where close contact is the norm, a seemingly absurd level of testing will be required to maintain a high level of confidence by the players, coaches and support personnel as well as the general public.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/04/us/coronavirus-live-updates.html

This is a good article but a day old. California had it's first week to week decrease in deaths, but most of it (55%) is L.A. proper, which got hit late. Northern California, Central California, Ventura County and then jump to Orange... all well along the downside of the curve. A lot of areas were barely hit (my town had 6 cases).

The next hot spots are rural, often connected to food plants and retirement homes. The national increase in deaths from 70 to 140,000 (with fudge for even more) is "increased mobility in areas still showing an increase in cases." More people are expected to die so we can open sooner than later.

I'm glad I don't have to balance the two very real factors but they are NOT separate. Fucking this up will be costs lives and THEN crush the economy. Certainly equating it with being "warriors" or suggesting that moving around freely in a pandemic is "patriotic," that's just fucking ghoulish.

It's counterintuitive for Americans because it's a cooperative situation, not every man for himself. What you do affects everybody so it's definitely not a personal choice, it's a collective choice that must be made collectively. Germany is the best example of what we should've done, a populous first world economy that shut down all at once... and now is mostly reopened.

Bottom line is that we did not do that and those choices started long ago, including closing CDC offices in China. As a federal government, it was (and is) as bad as it could possibly be, a near total pass on doing much of anything. But states have picked up the slack in some areas.

We 100000000% must do miles and miles better in the future. But we're learning a lot of those lessons.

All of the data is screwed up and unreliable. The only thing that matter is the actual death count. And that number is inflated. The testing is messed up too. Now that they are testing, we are simply finding more positive cases of people who are not particularly sick. All that will do is lower the death rate.

My aunt died yesterday. I won't be surprised to find her listed. After all, she was in a nursing home on her death bed for the last 2 years

All of the data is screwed up and unreliable.

100% correct.

I've had classic CoVid patients test negative (and tell them they're a false-negative), asymptomatic patients test positive (and so they're told they're part of the 40% asx group), and NYC physicians are being told to put CoVid on the death certificate, even if they think it was just a mild possibility. All of the numbers are flawed way more than people realize.

In fact it seems the results that don't make clinical sense far outnumber those that do. Crappiest testing I've seen in my career.

In Ohio, all of the surge-epidemiologists were way off. We're wayyyy below the lowest part of their forecasting.

So, who the heck knows.

What's that ocean?
They aren't being honest on death certs?
I been saying so for weeks in church and state thread...
An older person has congestive heart failure diagnosed years ago, they had a stroke and passed.
A year ago they would have said they died from all 3, age included

Today they list covid19 only, even if they aren't sure.

All I know is that I was just informed I will be back in planes by June 1, flying every week from Naples, FL to Houston, TX. Keeping in mind I work in the healthcare field, it does say something about the level of concern there is going into summer.

I truly believe training camps will be open on time...and the season will be held in front of fans. Hell, Italy is opening up already.

Just so nobody thinks I was just pulling the rural thang out ma ass (!)...
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2 of the 10 locations for US highest daily growth rate of cases are in Nebraska.<br><br>True, the state has tried to hide its meat plants problem, but I think the view of how bad things are is also occluded by the fact that the state's numbers are just garbage:<a href="https://t.co/IZgkOeIcCc">https://t.co/IZgkOeIcCc</a> <a href="https://t.co/Z5KpTUzYPX">pic.twitter.com/Z5KpTUzYPX</a></p>— Rachel Maddow MSNBC (@maddow) <a href="https://twitter.com/maddow/status/1258096841226366978?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 6, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Iowa is the fastest growing COVID state at the moment with food processing plants finally testing at 60%, even higher. Similar in North Dakota, where a plant was inundated and then one worker (almost certainly) took it to a nearby retirement home, and 13 have died in short order.

Well, there is no doubt that Iowa is having a problem at the moment and the coronavirus is highly contagious. However, this is a specific problem that the Iowa State health department along with the CDC will handle in relative short order. It does not represent an overall trend. It is, of course a much larger problem than the problem in South Dakota (not North Dakota), but both represent solvable localized problems. South Dakota has returned to normal with an average of about 1 death per day for the past week from the coronavirus.

Hot spots will occur. Accept it. Food is about as essential as it can get and more attention needs to be paid to keeping food processing workers safe. But we don’t need to start comparing Iowa to New York which continues to have a daily death toll in the range of 300 to 350 per day.

California is staged opening because the curve is flat and on the way down. Same for NY, which is beginning to stage. The states that shut down biggest and fastest (mostly California and Washington) are way further along their curve than states that shut down later. It's a very real concern, a checkerboard recovery.

You’re speaking nonsense. New York and California have nothing in common with respect to the virus. New York has a cesspool of contagion in their subway system and is essentially infecting the nation with air travel to and from New York. The main problem with the spread of the virus is mass transit. Californians, like most of the rest of the country travel by car and thus self distance naturally during travel. All things being equal, depending on their normal mode of travel, the death rate is essentially a function of the population of the state. For example, California with a population of 40 million has a daily death rate of about 75, Oklahoma with a population of 4 million has a daily death rate of about 6, Nevada with a population of 3 million has a daily death rate of about 7, Ohio with a population of 9 million has a daily death rate of 45. Georgia with a population of 10.5 million has a daily death rate of about 35. Get the picture. Not exact, of course, but relatively consistent.

Compare those ratios with New York with a population of 30 million and a daily death rate of about 325 and New Jersey with a population of 9 million and a daily death rate of about 250.

It is the movement of people and their mode of movement that contributes mainly to the major spread of the virus.

Saw a list of the fastest growing spots and the top 10 are all small-ish towns across the plains and through the south. The concern is way, way fewer medical services.

On the contrary, hot spots in sparsely populated areas are relatively easy to manage. Say a businessman from Des Moines travels to New York and brings back the virus and it spreads to a meat packing plant where workers typically work shoulder to shoulder. What does contact tracing look like? Well, test everybody in the plant and each of the families. You probably have at least 95% of the possible spread right there. But what do you do to contact trace the case of a subway traveler who probably comes in close contact with 10 people he will never see again every day? How do you contact trace that?

There's no real way to brave it out. Social distancing, or pulling out the match in the matchbook, is absolutely critical. Then mass testing and tracing, finally the vaccine. The economy will fully crater if any area opens up to early and we pull all assistance. Nobody's gonna swarm to the mall in areas still reporting scads of new cases.

That's scary shit. Nobody wants to land on a ventilator. We can't stay locked up forever, no doubt about that. And the economics of the situation are 100% part of the equation (crashed economy is a health risk all its own). But just pretending it's not happening will be the worst choice of all.

(BTW: Not being political, no interest. But we can't just keep the food flowing by saying, "Keep the food flowing." We have to figure out a way for the entire workforce to not get sick, thereby becoming a self-fulfilling prophesy. One plant is becoming the paradigm, really figuring it out before just jamming people in and avoiding testing.)

More nonsensical political talk. You cannot eliminate the virus as long as people keep moving about. And even when you shut down all nonessential business, you still have 75% to 80% of the workers moving around as if normal since they are considered "essential."

What we must do is contain the virus as best we can until effective vaccines come on line. A vaccine will work as well for a subway traveler as someone who drives a car to work.

First of all...Rachel Maddow? She is about as accurate and reliable as...hell, can't think of anything as inaccurate or unreliable.

Besides that...growth rates are too convoluted to even consider. It is based more on how many tests are being given than any true increase in disease.

The reality is the big states/cities (NY/CA) were using up the vast majority of the testing supplies for the past month, and smaller less dense locations were not being provided them. Now that NY/CA are starting to level off on their death rate (again, not all that reliable), rural areas are finally getting tested...hence the increase in cases (identified, not newly infected).

I can tell you that the coding rules (the rules that govern the assignment of a patient having COVID) are so loose in interpretation that I find it criminal. In most cases, if the physician does not document a positive test and definitively state the patient has a disease, we cannot code it. With COVID, they can go off of a patient saying they 'might' have been exposed and simply have similar symptoms and the disease code can be assigned. This practice is inflating the numbers astronomically. They also assigned deaths to COVID on patients that were never tested based on anecdotal findings.

Back to the real topic...I see the season opening on time with a full pre-season.

Rachel is as close to 100% accurate as she can be, intense about it, sources literally everything and then asks legit experts if she's misrepresented anything. She may have something else you don't like about her but it would absolutely not be her accuracy. That chart isn't her chart... it's an actual factual chart.

She's America's Storyteller, has done such an amazing job of given context and only working from sourced news from legit outlets, no hyper partisan stuff at all. Really, libs don't have their own Fox News, although I find CNN wonky and annoying.

It's virtually impossible to not like her... but I'd probably be as hesitant if she were at Fox. But I don't really know any Conservatives who don't respect her, haven't heard one diss her, ever.

And so I don't misrepresent myself at all: Dear God, I want football to happen. I really want optimistic visions to end up being right.

Rachel is as close to 100% accurate as she can be, intense about it, sources literally everything and then asks legit experts if she's misrepresented anything. She may have something else you don't like about her but it would absolutely not be her accuracy. That chart isn't her chart... it's an actual factual chart.

She's America's Storyteller, has done such an amazing job of given context and only working from sourced news from legit outlets, no hyper partisan stuff at all. Really, libs don't have their own Fox News, although I find CNN wonky and annoying.

It's virtually impossible to not like her... but I'd probably be as hesitant if she were at Fox. But I don't really know any Conservatives who don't respect her, haven't heard one diss her, ever.

And so I don't misrepresent myself at all: Dear God, I want football to happen. I really want optimistic visions to end up being right.

You're so gullible , it's beyond laughable...

Top Bottom