Browns O line vs Bengals O line | Barking Hard

Browns O line vs Bengals O line

OconRecon

If you're juiceless, you're useless
Awards
It's probably our biggest concern on offense, outside of the HC/QB chemistry. For the Bengals, it's theirs too, although we'd all agree they have a bigger list of concerns after the O line than we do.

LT

Bengals - Jonah Williams - 11th overall, hasn't taken a live snap since 2018 d/t injury
Browns - Jed Wills - 10th overall, but is in a normal football trajectory

RT

Bengals - Bobby Hart - "a guy at best" per Locked on Bengals
Browns - Jack Conklin - probowler starting his 2nd contract

It's pretty fair to call LT a draw, even though our guy is fresher. RT, we win. Heck, Kendall Lamm's grade was much better than Hart's, and Hubbard was about the same (50's). At least Hubbard has played every O-line position.

=====

LG

Bengals - Michael Jordan - 4th rounder from last year, middle of the roader
Browns - Joel Bitonio - probowler in the prime of his career

RG

Bengals - Xavier Su'a-Filo - nearly 30 yr-old who couldn't start in Dallas last year
Browns - Wyatt Teller - a Dorsey fave, who improved as he settled in last season

They may have the two worst guards in the NFL, both with Cam Erving-like PFF grades (low 40's), and #3 in line is Billy Price, who lost his job last year. Yet for us, Bitonio is top-10 and Teller is a middle-third-er in the rankings. Teller's grade is a dozen points higher than their best G in Jordan, and his pass-blocking is very good. If it weren't for being part of 8th and goal debacle in his first game, his run grade would have been much better.

A little more on Teller, he also played (and graded) way better than players like Forest Lamp and, cough/cough, Austin Corbett.

=====

C

Bengals - Trey Hopkins - 25th ranked center and a horrible run blocker
Browns - JC Tretter - an overall top-10 center, and a top-3 pass blocking center

Pffft. Browns win.

=====

So overall all, we have a draw at LT, and the Browns are better at every other position, with better depth.

Here's the Bengals beat writers' concern. Everyone on their line has to take a step forward for this to work. It's pretty common for an O-line to have a player or two who needs to elevate and solidify, but they feel it's going to take incredible luck for their entire O-line to both elevate AND stay healthy. The writer I read said he's fine with hoping their 2019 first rounder works out, but to then look down the line, & need the same for every other position, well, it's tough to be optimistic.

Yes, it's the slow-season like we've never seen, so I thought I'd compare a little. Might add on the Ravens and Steelers to this thread for more O-line vs O-line thoughts.

https%3A%2F%2Fdawgpounddaily.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2016%2F04%2F1179862525.jpeg

Last edited:
If Wills plays as well as we think he can I don't see our OLine being anything less than top ten overall, but that's a big if for a rookie LT who played RT in college. I mean just to come into the NFL and be solid would be OK. He has the attitude and I like that he's physical and wants to dominate his opponent. He'll need that going forward.

okay, I"m going to blow out the AFCN

LT

Bengals - Jonah Williams - 11th overall, hasn't taken a live snap since 2018 d/t injury

Browns - Jed Wills - 10th overall, but is in a normal football trajectory

Steelers - Alejandro Villanueva - 32 yrs-old, PFF's 24th ranked tackle

Ravens - Ronnie Stanley - stud, PFF's #4 OT last year

Winner Ravens

RT

Bengals - Bobby Hart - "a guy at best" per Locked on Bengals

Browns - Jack Conklin - probowler starting his 2nd contract

Steelers - Banner vs Okarafor to compete for the spot

Ravens - Orlando Brown Jr - PFF's 31st ranked tackle

Winner Browns

=====

LG

Bengals - Michael Jordan - 4th rounder from last year, middle of the roader

Browns - Joel Bitonio - probowler in the prime of his career

Steelers - Matt Feller - moving from T to G

Ravens - Skura, who is rehabbing, so may be need 2nd string help early on

Winner Browns

RG

Bengals - Xavier Su'a-Filo - nearly 30 yr-old who couldn't start in Dallas last year

Browns - Wyatt Teller - a Dorsey fave, who improved as he settled in last season

Steelers - David DeCastro - stud, probowler

Ravens - Bozeman vs roster competitors

Winner Steelers

=====

C

Bengals - Trey Hopkins - 25th ranked center and a horrible run blocker

Browns - JC Tretter - an overall top-10 center, and a top-3 pass blocking center

Steelers - Pouncey - took a step back last year, (PFF 51.5, 40th) 11 season vet

Ravens - Bozeman vs Mekari- IOL is unsettled

Winner - Browns

So, imho, we win at RT, C, and LG vs the division, with a blue-chip rookie at LT, and a RG who compares very well, sans DeCastro.

The steelers also used a 1st round pick on DeCastro. We used a 2nd on our best Guard. The ravens are going cheap and hope somebody separates from their group. I'mm not even considering the bengals guards as anyone of note.

Although after last night, if I'm a Bengals fan, the path is clear. Get the DL healthy (2 starters out) and go all-in on the O-line for 2021, because the HC/QB combo looks darn good.

For now though, Callahan has our unit gelled. Impressive. Damn we needed this 10 days off a dub.

Top Bottom