Browns Offense 2020: Hide the Children | Barking Hard

Browns Offense 2020: Hide the Children

Shep

Awards
Just teeing up. O'Shea's deep dish on Kareem Hunt today tells you that the top four "WRs" are OBJ, Landry, Higgins, and Hunt. Another is Harrison Bryant, likely to see a lot of slot time.

Browns are gonna run out of footballs before they run out of targets. I expect the five above, Chubb, Hooper, and Njoku to be in the mix. I can't see how at least 2 or 3 don't catch Stephon Diggs feelings.

We should be top 10 at every level: QB, OL, RBs, TEs, WRs. We just got ranked 2nd at WR by PFF, had been first at RB. It's likely they're all top 5. Hell, Andy the Fullback is at worst 2nd best.

Objectively stacked and I love how the system fits the personnel. But after all that, comes down to the QB, as always. Baker's numbers will reflect the quality of the personnel and scheme around him... and I expect that reflection to be quite gorgeous.

Browns offense should be better than the Vikings and SF last year, and that should put us right near the top. If our defense is just solid, I don't see how we don't win 11 or more.

Just seeing Baker/Chubb in a lot of play-action sounds like living hell for any defense.

It'll be interesting to see who carves out a role. If you aren't Chubb-Hunt-Hooper-OBJ-Landry, finding niches will be important.

Like Higgins inside-out ability allows Landry to go back into the slot, where he's one of the best. Harrison Bryant splits out really well, better than Njoku statistically speaking, and had several scouts wonder about him as a big WR. With our top 3 WRs all around 6'0 and Hunt at 5'10", there are red-zone opportunities for Njoku and Bryant. DPJ probably returns punts.

Gonna be interesting to see who makes it from Ratley, Montgomery, and Hodge.

Khadarel Hodge has an inside track as a ST'er. DJ Montgomery has flashed and is a bigger WR as is Ratley. Hopefully we can develop one or two of these guys on the practice squad in anticipation of OBJ leaving in a couple of years. Along with Higgins btw, but he may not be here after this season.

Player development has to improve in all areas. Develop and resign the guys who contribute in small ways on the field, in the locker room or in the clutch.

Bryant is gonna have a tough time getting touches. CoVid is going to limit his time to impress as TE3.

How many TE’s do we keep? 4? How many FB’s? Just one I’d assume.

I’d like to keep Carlson.

Me too.

I like Carlson and we already have Hooper and Njoku. The rookie Bryant pretty much means all the TE positions are accounted for unless Pharoah Brown or somebody else steps up their game and can make onto the practice squad. The thing is Njoku may not be here after this season so do we really keep 5 TE's? That's a lot for the position.

Develop a guy like Carlson, and Bryant I say. Carlson can play on my team any day, but continue his development. Run better routes and learn to separate better. He's already a damn good blocker.

Carlson impressed me too last year with his play. Realistically, his role for 2020 will be a practice squad player who needs to continue to develop and be ready when called upon.

Am I crazy, or did I see the Browns picked up an option on a TE, like our designated blocker dude?

I'm betting they keep four, but with Hooper, Njoku, and Bryant, he's likely to be primarily a blocker, not sure if that's Carlson. I liked him, too. Looked the part.

Backup fullback will probably be that fourth TE.

Wanted to chip in on player development, Brooksie. I know Ocon and I hammer it over and over: It's something the casual fan doesn't think of, like if a young player didn't do much as a rookie, or struggles, or sits on the practice squad, we absolutely need to draft someone to replace him.

I think it's one of the biggest gaps between organizations and fans, actually. "Within the building," the first place coaches (and GMs) look for new starters is the current roster. In fact, it's planned a year or two in advance with guys like Sione and Mack (and Nick Harris this year), neither of whom was expected to be first teamers in 2019.

Guys decide to take training seriously, something the Browns are seeing a ton with young players (including Baker and Ogunjobi). Higgins basically reinvented himself before 2018. Bigger, lighter, stronger, quicker, whatever's right for the position in this scheme.

For instance, one of the places the Browns will look for more pass rush... is this dude Takitaki who plays for the Browns.

It's still 53 for this year as far as I know, but the whole Covid thing might mean adding 5 guys or so this year and next year which is when the expanded roster is supposed to kick in.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-at-all-the-season-roster-and-salary-changes/

[h=3]Rosters[/h]
  • Teams can designate an additional player to return from injured reserve each year (three instead of two)
  • Two practice-squad players each week can be elevated to the team's active roster, and a team doesn't have to replace the player on the practice squad
  • Active game-day rosters increased from 46 to 48 players
  • Practice squads expanded from 10 to 12 players in 2020-2021, then to 14 players starting in 2022 (including between two and four players with unlimited accrued seasons per team)

Wanted to chip in on player development, Brooksie. I know Ocon and I hammer it over and over: It's something the casual fan doesn't think of, like if a young player didn't do much as a rookie, or struggles, or sits on the practice squad, we absolutely need to draft someone to replace him.

This is a good observation, Shep - and it is the prevailing attitude of the outside media. (and some of our local media as well).

According to those supposed know it alls, and the casual fan as well, if a player drafted is not All-Pro status by his second game in the league - The GM should be castrated for drafting such a schmuck, and the player banished to the end of the bench forever.

As you point out, there has to be time alloted after drafting a player to develop. If he is showing no development by the end of year two, or if certain personality traits manifest themselves - THEN you take action.

This "kneejerk reaction" approach to draftees and front office personnel is what has gotten us where we are.

I am so glad to see Jimmy appears to finally be learning from his past mistakes, and hiring the people with the proper perspective on things - and then getting the hell out of the way and letting them do their jobs. It is the only way this cycle of futility will stop.

So true. That's the reality of the rich getting richer, always finding "steals." They're drafted for what they can become, not what they are at this precise instant, and then they get to learn behind a terrific player who's really bought into the culture.

Thinking of the Patriots and, painfully, both the Steelers and Ravens. Tends to start with stability at HC and QB and radiates out from there. The defense creating a stand-alone culture with a lineage of great coaches passing the baton, that's something else that pisses me off about those two teams.

It's starting in a small way with the offensive line too. Joe Thomas reaching out to Wills. Tretter reaching out to Nick Harris. A couple other spots like WR with Landry and OBJ reaching out to DP Jones and Delpit talking smack to Greedy Williams. I know not truly a development situation on that one, but it certainly helps overall morale to have friendly competition.

Totally agree, Jay. It's how you build a culture, do your job and be about something bigger than yourself. Patriot Way and all that. Winning with these guys on this team has to become important to you.

That's just not the case for all players. Maybe not even most.

Just gives the soyboys Baker and Kev more time to virtue signal and boost their retard cred on Twitter.

You could set a fucking clock to it..... They couldn't even go a week without virtue signalling, Stefcuckski and his bull Andrew "Unqualified" Berry hired a couple more lezzies to show off them high estrogen SJW skills. I guess since they know they won't be winning many games they may as well go for broke and win the NFL Full Cucked Soyboy award, presented to you by Colin Kaepernick.

You could set a fucking clock to it..... They couldn't even go a week without virtue signalling, Stefcuckski and his bull Andrew "Unqualified" Berry hired a couple more lezzies to show off them high estrogen SJW skills. I guess since they know they won't be winning many games they may as well go for broke and win the NFL Full Cucked Soyboy award, presented to you by Colin Kaepernick.

The Browns will show us how modern and forward thinking they are by announcing Katie Sowers as they're next coffee fetcher(HC)

In 2 years...

In case you didn't realize, we gots a STUD in the backfield.....

<samp class="EmbedCode-container"><code class="EmbedCode-code"><blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Since 2018 &#55349;&#56360;&#55349;&#56359;&#55349;&#56357;&#55349;&#56370; &#55349;&#57296; RBs are over 4 YPC &#55349;&#56320;&#55349;&#56325;&#55349;&#56339;&#55349;&#56324;&#55349;&#56337; contact:<br><br>Derrick Henry - 4.5<br>Nick Chubb - 4.2 <a href="https://t.co/R1d2G3aS3S">pic.twitter.com/R1d2G3aS3S</a></p>— PFF (@PFF) <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1274492736167727109?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 21, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> </code></samp>

Top Bottom