College Coaching Royalty | Barking Hard

College Coaching Royalty

The_QCT

Resident CFB Guru
Awards
“If Clemson reaches the College Football Playoff this year, Dabo Swinney would join John Wooden (9, 1968-75) as the only college basketball or football coaches to take teams to 6 consecutive Final Fours.” - Tim Bourret, Former Clemson SID (40 years)

Absolutely rarified air to be mentioned in the same breath as Wooden.

Swinney, in 11 seasons, has already accomplished the following:

- 4 National Championship appearances
- 2 National Championship wins
- 5 College Football Playoff appearances (5 consecutive)
- 11 Major Bowl Appearances
- 7 Major bowl wins
- 6 conference championships
- 5 straight conference championship game wins (1st & only program in CFB history to accomplish this feat)

To sum it all up, he is a sure fire future CFB Hall of Famer already. He and Clemson are far from done as he/they have plenty more accomplishments to add.

Last edited:
Dabo is one of the best ever and you're lucky to have him. I don't see how he is not a 1st ballot HOF'er CFB HC. Right now!

I'm hopeful Ryan Day is as good as Dabo. He looks pretty damn good, but it remains to be seen if he can win with his recruits. Early results are phenomenal, but he's still has to prove it over a few seasons for the Bucks.

It's rare that you find a coach who embodies everything about your program and university and is an absolute perfect fit - Clemson absolutely found that in Dabo Swinney.

Swinney was the WR coach under Tommy Bowden (who was fired) and had never even held a coordinator position (just like Urban Meyer) when he was named interim Head Coach.
The AD at the time, Terry Don Phillips said he saw something in Swinney. It was obviously not an extremely popular choice at the time as most fans wanted a big name to succeed Bowden...and Swinney's tenure started off rocky with 9-5 and 6-7 seasons. But Terry Don believed in Swinney, didn't have a quick trigger finger, and allowed Swinney's vision to be built over time. A lot of people act like Clemson came out of nowhere, but that simply isn't true. It was a slow build. It took 3 years to win his first Conference Championship; 5 years to win his first Major Bowl game; 7 years to make his first National Championship appearance and 8 years to win his first National Championship. Clemson athletics, Terry Don Phillips, Dan Radokovich and the Clemson family believed in his vision and gave him the time needed and it has paid off.

This is one of my favorite Clemson Football tweets of all time

Regarding Ohio State - I think Ryan Day is an excellent fit for . He is a the Buckeyes. He is a great offensive mind who has already proven to get the most out of his QB's. Doing what he did with Dobbins was just incredible. And the fact that Fields is listed in the Top 2-3 QB's in the nation is more of a testament to Day's scheme and ability to put the QB into positions to limit mistakes and be successful. Of course, playing a bunch of really slow, non-athletic defenses helps :)cool:). Day is an excellent recruiter who is willing to do what it takes to get kids. This year's class is off to a great start.

Dabo Swinney will be a lifer at Clemson. He will retire a Tiger. My main question with Day is how long will he stay? He strikes me as a guy who will ultimately end up in the NFL. The good news is that if he does in fact get an NFL head coaching job someday, that means he did very well at Ohio State and probably won a national championship or 2. The bad news would be that Ohio would be back on the hunt for a HC...although there are some good , home grown options out there like Luke Fickell (who is getting a lot of attention by AD's, BOT's, etc...around the country).

Ultimately, I think Clemson, Ohio State and Alabama are going to be mainstays at the top of the college football world until Saban, Swinney and Day leave. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean there won't be a down year here and there (like Alabama last season)...but those are 3 guaranteed powers for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
You can try perpetuating the slow myth, but Simmons couldn't run down any of the Buckeyes. You know. Your fast LB'er.

The reality is the top CFB teams are all fast and Clemson plays the weakest of the three teams conferences. Everybody knows that.
;)

You can try perpetuating the slow myth, but Simmons couldn't run down any of the Buckeyes. You know. Your fast LB'er.

The reality is the top CFB teams are all fast and Clemson plays the weakest of the three teams conferences. Everybody knows that.
;)

Tanner Muse, our safety, ran down Dobbins from behind, lol

There are no challenges in the B1G for OSU outside of possibly Penn State. Everybody else is either slow or stinks. Just stating the facts.

Right.

Penn State was ranked 9
Minnesota 10
Wisconsin 11
Iowa 15
Michigan 18

I mean when Appalachian State is ranked higher than everyone else in the ACC, You have for shit competition in your conference.
Just stating the facts.
Tanner muse took the proper angle and ran him down after ohhhh i don't know 40 some odd yards or so. Good job outta him I guess! lol.

Last edited:
Jim Harbaugh is an idiot. Ryan Day handled this exactly right too by saying “How about I worry about my team and you worry about yours?”

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.72)][FONT=&quot]“It’s great that Jim Harbaugh cares about rules that nobody else cares about, but for the audience that doesn’t understand what’s really going on here, Jim Harbaugh was brought back to Michigan a number of years ago, paid $8 million dollars a year, and the sole purpose was to beat Ohio State. That’s the goal at the University of Michigan. Guess what? He hasn’t done it! He really hasn’t come all that close other than one year when he blew a game that may have cost the Wolverines a shot at the national championship.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.72)][FONT=&quot]And last year in Ann Arbor, a lot of people thought ‘maybe this was the year.’ And Ryan Day, in his first year after taking over for Urban Meyer, just wiped the floors with Jim Harbaugh.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.72)][FONT=&quot]…. It is a complete and total embarrassment. The fact that Jim Harbaugh even has a job these days… is for another question, another day. Jim Harbaugh just can’t get out of his own way. He wakes up in the morning and seemingly says ‘how am I going to call more attention to myself, to the fact that I can’t beat Ohio State?'”

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-...ayer-grills-Michigan-Jim-Harbaugh--149977276/

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/08/paul-finebaum-slams-jim-harbugh-ryan-day
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Top Bottom