Browns - Conklin: 4-year, $60 million extension that includes $31 million fully guaranteed | Barking Hard

Browns Conklin: 4-year, $60 million extension that includes $31 million fully guaranteed

Guess it's a
  • 2 year deal for $31m dollars covering 2023 & 2024
  • Team option in 2025 & 2026

Seems about right for a perennial probowl RT. But, he's not perennial, and gets injured a little more than your average bear. Not a lot more, but some more.

Maybe the UFA OT market is bad this year, or will be even more costly once the new Sunday Ticket deal settles in and translates.

Orlando Brown is the only big tuna to be had in 2023, and his market value is currently at 22mil per year.

Didn't see that one coming. Berry obviously has faith in the guy. I really wonder how much faith Berry has in Wills. That is: I'm really wondering if another LT is picked in the draft.

He's having his 2nd worst year and has been awful in the run game. He better get back to form in a hurry next season.

I guess this also means there is no chance of moving Wills to RT. So it will be interesting to see if we continue with that failed LT experiment.

Dude's definitely having a 'down' year after patellar tendon surgery, but let's not forget he has been part of a line that, over the last 3 years, has often been considered top-5 in the NFL. And I strain to recall any of us complaining about him until this year.

I guess I don't see the point of jettisoning a guy who we're going to either struggle or at best gamble to replace with someone who's demonstrably better. Why create another hole to fill when, as many here have noticed, we have a much bigger problem on the other end of the line. Not to mention the other (D) line (and LB). Just doesn't make sense to let him walk.

He's 28. Should have 4 years left to give, at minimum.

^^^I didn't know he was only 28. TYVM.^^^

It looks like they believe he's in some way still going to get better after the injury and closer to All Pro form next year. I hope they're right. Now we can work on Pocic and maybe trade Harris? :unsure::unsure::unsure: I'd like to bring back Pocic if possible.

waynes world doritos GIF

I know there’s nothing to do today about the right tackle spot, but Dawand looks legit, and if he continues to play this well the rest of the year, with zero more improvement, then he’s at least as good as Conklin, but cheaper, younger, and more durable.

Options:

1. Trade Conklin. He has a reasonable contract for a probowl RT. What could we get for him? Seems like a 3rd rounder is within reach. Pads our cap too.

2. Move Conklin to LT. At least he’s played there before and we aren’t going to extend Wills.

3. Cut Conklin. Seems like the least attractive idea.

Thoughts?

I think it is a large stretch/exaggeration to say Jones is as good as Conklin, unless talking about a Conklin injured and not playing. Conklin is way better in run blocking than Jones, today. Also better against speed rushers.

I'd have to look at the cap options, but I think even trading Conklin even post June has a big dead money and cap hit.

Wills had his 5th year option picked up so that salary is guaranteed. So if Wills is as bad as some make him out to be, what can CLE really do with him for next year

I'd rather have Conklin at RT next year with Wills at LT unless we use a high draft pick on a LT. If we don't then play Conklin and Wills while working out Jones at LT. Then Wills can be a FA and we'll have Jones at LT and Conklin at RT in 2025.

All that is if we don't draft a LT or sign a FA LT.

Top Bottom