Damontre Moore, Texas A&M | Barking Hard

Damontre Moore, Texas A&M

Shep

Awards
Had 8.5 sacks last year, has 11.5 this year including 1 in the big win over 'Bama. Goes 6'4" and 250, has more potential as a full-time 4-3 DE than Miller did because of his frame.

Has moved up to just about everybody's top 10. I think both Sobo and Alo called this one ahead of the pack. Keep an eye on him.

EDIT: Kiper has Jones #1 and Moore #4. Of Moore...

Moore has been impossible to block so far, and it goes back to 2011. There's not a single recent game in which he has struggled. Versatile, Moore has adjusted well to playing as a defensive end in a 4-3 scheme. Excels as a pass-rusher, able to dip hips, turn the corner and use quickness and length to bother tackles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, Moore had sacks against both LSU and 'Bama, so he's getting them in big games against the best opponents. Choice between Jones and Moore might be about Jones' health and the scheme we play.

I'll be mentioning a lot of people as we go. Sobo brought him up on OBR a few weeks ago, then he had sacks against both LSU and 'Bama.

I looked around on him last night and he's only getting attention now. He seems to have had a solid year so I wondered if he was coming back from an injury and only now making an impact. He's still a fourth round selection from the draftniks not quickly emulating what they see.

I wondered if there was anything holding him back. To go from a fourth round pick to the second best DE prospect seemingly overnight was a concern.

Fourth round?! He's in everybody's top 10. Even before I knew much about him, he was in both CBS guys' first round. He had 8.5 sacks and 17 TFL last year! He leads the nation this year with 11.5.

Some draftnicks over at OBR think he's not as mega-athletic as Dion Jordan, a guy predicted to rise late after he murders the Combine. But I'm always a little iffy on a guy like Jordan, wondering why he can't do better than 5.5 sacks in the Pac while Moore has 20 in less than two years in the SEC! Also, Moore has like 19 TFLs this year. He lives in opposing backfields.

Both guys will end up in the first round, almost certainly, along with Werner, Ming, Jones (more linebacker-ey) Montgomery, and some others. The injured dude (Jeffcoat?) will probably rise fast if he can show he's healthy.

The new coaching staff at A&M switched to a four man front and lit a fire under Moore, who's now playing with an unbelievable motor.

As for Jordan, his lower sack production's partly the result of how Oregon uses him. The coaching staff makes good use of his freakish athleticism by lining him up all over the place. It's not often that you see 6'7" guys cover the slot...and look good doing it. And he doesn't play as much in the second half when the Ducks already have a huge lead.

Keep an eye on that Anthony Barr from UCLA. Getting some heat with scouts. Crazy athlete, not much experience, 11 sacks this year. He's 6'4" and only 235 so he'd be situational at first. But he might come back for another year and get bigger. Scouts in today's LA Times said he could be a very high first rounder in 2014.

EDIT: The Seahawks Bruce Irvin, seen as a "reach" because he's a small-ish edge rusher and situational player, has had a serious impact with 7 sacks. Might help Barr.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta keep giving Moore the love: He moves to DE... and moves to the SEC... and he has 12.5 sacks to go with a nation-leading 20 TFLs. That's crazy production at the highest level. Can't imagine why in the world he'd stay. A&M have put together a huge year as a team, too.

Moore love - Damontre Moore just turned 20 years old on Sept 11.
icon_eek.gif

He's just a kid. Very similar situation to Aldon Smith a year ago. An NFL weight room program will do this kid wonders.

Top Bottom