Derek Carr | Barking Hard

Derek Carr

Awards
BORKED

BORKED

Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr is one of the most physically gifted quarterback prospects in the 2014 NFL Draft class. Carr possesses good size for the position at 6’3″, 218 lbs. and he turns 23 years old on March 28th. After playing in five games and completing 10 of 14 passes as a true freshman in 2009, Carr redshirted during the 2010 season. Carr never missed a game during his final three seasons (started all 39 games). He completed 1087 of 1630 pass attempts for 12,843 yards, 113 touchdowns, and 24 interceptions in his career. He also carried the ball 164 times for 190 yards and five touchdowns during that time.

Intangibles

By most accounts, Derek Carr is a vocal leader with a strong work ethic and a fiery demeanor. He was named Fresno State’s offensive team captain as a redshirt sophomore in 2011 and a team captain in 2012 and 2013.

Toughness is not a question mark with Carr as he has shown the mental fortitude to play through injuries and start every game over the past three seasons. It has even been reported that Carr played with a sports hernia during the 2012 season.

Derek Carr’s brother David was the number one pick of the Houston Texans in the 2002 NFL Draft. Although David never blossomed into the quarterback that scouts had hoped, it is noteworthy that Derek has a brother with similar experiences that he can get advice from and bounce ideas off of as he embarks on his NFL journey.

College System

The past two years, Carr has played in a system that mostly consists of short passes and deep throws down the field with very few passes between the numbers in the intermediate passing game. He has spent most of his time in shotgun the past two seasons and got some experience playing under center during the 2011 season.

Competition Level

Derek Carr faced mostly poor competition in the Mountain West Conference. He threw to a lot of wide open receivers and put up huge numbers in a pass-first offense. In his final season at Fresno State, Carr completed 454 of 659 pass attempts for 5,083 yards, 50 touchdowns, and eight interceptions.

At the Senior Bowl later this month, Carr will be on the same stage with other quarterbacks that played against much better competition. This will be a great opportunity for Carr to convince evaluators that his production was not simply a product of poor competition.

Physical Tools

Carr possesses excellent arm strength that will allow him to make all of the necessary throws at the next level. When he is able to step into his throws, he shows the ability to drive the ball down the field and throw into tight windows. This means that his offensive coordinator will not be restricted in what plays he can put in the game plan and opposing defenses will be forced to cover the entire field against him.

Carr has the ability to gain decent yardage as a scrambler if he breaks contain and gets out in space. Although he does not possess the foot speed of the most athletic quarterbacks in the world, I would certainly consider Carr to be an above average athlete that can make defenses pay for being undisciplined.

Footwork/Mechanics

Overall, Derek Carr’s footwork could use a lot of work. He has a bad habit of taking a long hitch step at the top of his drop that keeps him from consistently transferring his weight properly when throwing the football. This leads to a lot of flat-footed, inaccurate throws.

Carr needs to speed up his feet in his drop back and while maneuvering in the pocket. He often looks uncomfortable or unnatural when forced to migrate away from pressure in a muddy pocket. Speeding up his feet should help with this issue. Carr did show some improvement in this area between the 2012 and 2013 seasons, but he still has plenty of room for improvement.

Carr has a bad habit of throwing off his back foot; which often leads to inaccuracy. He has flashed the ability to make accurate throws from multiple platforms and throwing angles, but he has not shown the ability to do so as consistently as I would like to see.

Ball Placement

Derek-Carr-10-Games-2013-420x360.png

In charting every pass from 10 of his games during the 2013 season and 14 games over the past three seasons, I have found that Derek Carr’s ball placement is pretty inconsistent to all levels of the field. There are times when Carr shows excellent touch and velocity as he hits his receivers in stride, but there are too many times when he throws the ball to the wrong shoulder or under throws his intended target. I believe that most of Carr’s issues with inaccuracy come from the mechanical flaws that I mentioned earlier. Carr’s ball placement often suffers when his feet aren’t set, when he throws off his back foot, when he is forced off his spot, and when on the run.

Derek-Carr-Deep-Balls-2013-420x92.png

Carr shows below average accuracy on his deep ball as he was on target on only 17 of 47 (36.17%) passes thrown 25+ yards from the line of scrimmage.

Decision Making

Although Carr plays in an offense that often expects him to take what the defense gives him and throw underneath the coverage, he throws into traffic too often and takes too many chances with the football when asked to throw the ball down the field. It is apparent that Carr has a lot of confidence in his arm strength by the number of times that he tests tight windows; especially to the intermediate and deep portions of the field.

Eye Discipline

I have found Carr’s eye discipline to be pretty inconsistent overall. He shows the ability to look off defenders from time to time, but has a tendency to stare down receivers too often. This will lead to passes getting knocked down and intercepted at the next level if he does not improve upon it.

Conclusion

All in all, I view Derek Carr as a quarterback prospect with a high upside and a low floor. The physical tools and flashes that he shows are undeniable, but there are too many question marks for me to be completely sold on him as a franchise changing quarterback at this point. Although I cannot blame a team for taking him in the top 10 picks of the 2014 NFL Draft, I would be much more comfortable waiting until the second day before spending a pick on him. There are simply too many questions about mechanics, adjusting to the NFL game, and accuracy to the intermediate level of the field for me to invest a first round pick in Derek Carr.

Games Evaluated

2013: USC, Nevada, Rutgers, Boise State, Utah State, San Diego State, San Jose State, Wyoming, New Mexico, Cal Poly

2012: SMU, Oregon, Boise State

2011: Ole Miss

Special thanks to the guys over at DraftBreakdown.com for making it easy to find the resources to evaluate draft prospects.

http://www.draftbrowns.com/2014/01/2014-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-derek-carr/

I guess the word I'd use for Carr is "interesting." He does have a HUGE upside, that Elway combination of arm and mobility. By all accounts, he's very smart, meets well, works hard, etc. He's been mentally preparing for this moment since he was a child, breaking down defenses with his big brother.

He had amazing numbers and didn't turn the ball over. He's no Derek Anderson. I totally know what Higdon's talking about regarding his feet, but that's a strong-armed QB's bad habit that gets fixed pretty quickly by pro QB coaches.

I think the Browns will take Manziel, Bridgewater, or Bortles, frankly... but I can't help but find Carr interesting. I don't have any problem at all seeing him become a special NFL quarterback, a championship level quarterback. Right now, I see him going to Minnesota at #8 (they were especially fixated on him at the Senior Bowl) and I have a feeling he'll start right out of the gate and do quite well.

Alex Smith is a Pro Bowler, a winner, and one of the most accurate passers in the NFL. He's well beyond "good!" He's seriously shown up under the brightest lights, too, in the playoffs. Chiefs are already talking big extension.

But if you want to say Carr's Alex Smith with a bigger arm, that makes him a #1 overall, which he won't be. But I do think he will, and should, end up in the top 10. He's not perfect, mostly on footwork, but when you list his qualities, you have the ingredients for a great NFL starting quarterback: Great arm, great wheels, smart kid, good size, mature with a serious work ethic, has been studying the position at an NFL level since he was 11, etc.

He's a better prospect than Jake Locker, to whom he gets compared. A little more of everything, honestly. I think with Hoyer likely starting at least the first half of 2014 (and maybe all of it), an upside guy like Carr isn't a horrible idea at all.

I'd hate a Mettenberger pick, for instance, because I just don't trust The Statue in today's NFL. I think Chud would've loved getting him or Mallet but I don't believe that's the type of QB this franchise is looking for... or the type of offense. Carr brings that arm but can really scoot.

He's one of the three I'd endorse, which is worth absolutely nothing (!). Along with Manziel and Bridgewater. I just don't know enough about Bortles but the draftnick community has a huge hardon for him.

Alex Smith is a Pro Bowler, a winner, and one of the most accurate passers in the NFL. He's well beyond "good!" He's seriously shown up under the brightest lights, too, in the playoffs. Chiefs are already talking big extension.

But if you want to say Carr's Alex Smith with a bigger arm, that makes him a #1 overall, which he won't be. But I do think he will, and should, end up in the top 10. He's not perfect, mostly on footwork, but when you list his qualities, you have the ingredients for a great NFL starting quarterback: Great arm, great wheels, smart kid, good size, mature with a serious work ethic, has been studying the position at an NFL level since he was 11, etc.

Alex Smith is your boy, I get it, but that's not at all what I'm saying.

How far do you want to go for a 60% - 3,313 yard - 23 touchdown - 7 interception - 89 PRG season? Is that a great season? No, not even close. What happened in the playoffs? He watched the other QB chase down a (28?) point lead while all Smith did was fumble. He couldn't answer back or extend a drive. He was useless. That's not well beyond good, that's hardly even a good season. In my eyes, it was the perfect description. He'll help win a game when his team is playing great, but he won't win the game when they struggle or need him.

Now you look at guys like Manning, Brady and even Manziel, they want the ball when the cards are down. They want to go win that game, and they have a history of doing it in spectacular fashion no matter how their team plays. That's a winner. They are the guys I want.

Carr won't be that guy. And I said poor man's Alex Smith, so you're not going to get the solid regular season before the playoff choke/exposure. Talk him up all you want, but being Alex Smith isn't a good thing.

Whoa, wait, didn't Smith have a really good playoff game? Also, the year before, he was the most accurate passer in football with 82% completion including official drops. Over the past three seasons, I'm betting his PR is top 7. And PR adds up to wins (and has for him).

He's really good. He's a Pro Bowler and a winner. I don't think anybody's saying he isn't good these days.

Whoa, wait, didn't Smith have a really good playoff game? Also, the year before, he was the most accurate passer in football with 82% completion including official drops. Over the past three seasons, I'm betting his PR is top 7. And PR adds up to wins (and has for him).

He's really good. He's a Pro Bowler and a winner. I don't think anybody's saying he isn't good these days.

In numbers, yeah, a great game. But that's where I don't care. Why have the losing QB with great numbers when you can have the QB who won his team the game and only had solid numbers? I'll take the winner, not the loser who not only couldn't help his team but got sloppy when the heat was on.

"What have you done for me lately" - Eddie Murphy.

I don't care about last year. It's the best year of his career by far and he only threw 200 passes before he got benched. Considering 7 out of 8 years haven't been remotely close to matching it, and it was the year he lost his starting job, I think it's safe to say Alex Smith isn't held in that high a reverence for it.

Alex is respected at the moment, but if he goes another year of fantastic regular season and choking his guts out in the playoffs you're going to see doubt creep in about if he's good enough. Just like we saw when he lost his job. When is the last time a "winner" got benched for the kid on the sidelines?

Like I said, Alex Smith is your boy. I paid you your dues and said I acknowledged where you're coming from, but I'm not changing the facts as I see them just because you demand I conform to your opinion. You know me too well, you know it won't happen. It doesn't even matter. Carr won't even be as good as Smith anyway. Again, he's your boy, so have your opinion but don't expect me to follow it. Just let me have mine and then move on.

We'll agree to disagree. When an offense puts up 44 points and a quarterback has 378 and 4/0, the loss is completely on the defense. Alex Smith has become a superb quarterback the last few years... and a winner in two different places.

He was the only significant personnel change on that team. After a so-so start, he closed really strong as he and Reid got into sync. Their draft pick (Fisher) wasn't good.

I like Carr at 26. I don't know if he'll fall that far, but if he did that would be a very good selection in that spot.

None of these QB's stands out enough to pass on elite, gifted talent at 4 for a developmental QB. And all these QB's are in need of developing.

All have their flaws and I ain't pissin' my pants to get any of 'em at 4 let alone trade up.

I prefer Jimmy Garappolo, and we should be able to grab him at #26 if a team like the 49ers don't move up and get him first... http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1981293-jimmy-garappolo-pro-day-reaction-and-analysis

I like his quick release, pocket presence, ability to look off DBs and pump-fake to help create separation. He's got a decent arm for the deep ball and good touch on fades. I think he would be perfect to learn the NFL for a year or two as a backup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xm-Ezr7E3Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72eZH_Cd1-U

Jimmy goes over the top nice, too... but he struggles driving the ball outside the hashes past 15. It's a hole in his game right now, but maybe by 2015 he's stronger and has been coached. He said it's not in their playbook.

His accuracy downfield between the hashes is fantastic, though.

Carr's gonna rise even more off meetings and his pro day. Both are strengths, neither makes him face a pass rush. He's not getting out of the top 10.

Carr does too many things that remind me of the Browns' QB who wears #3 on his jersey -- strong arm, throws a good pass without any pressure, but he also holds onto the ball too long, stares at his primary receiver, doesn't look around for a secondary if the primary is covered, and then throws into coverage. He scares the hell out of me.

Top Bottom