Example of a false narrative | Barking Hard

Example of a false narrative

Brownsfan

Continuity Please!
Awards
Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms says Georgia reopened too soon: 'People are paying with their lives'

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms, who announced Monday she tested positive for coronavirus, said Georgia was "too aggressive" when it reopened from COVID-19 shutdowns in late April.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/atlanta-keisha-lance-bottoms-covid

The Mayor deserves our sympathy in regard to contracting Covid-19. I am sure that even when it is largely asymptomatic, Covid-19 isn't exactly a fun thing. But she is wrong to suggest that the recent surge in her state, as well as others, is related to a premature opening. She is ignoring the significant delay of the surge from the opening as well as the obvious relationship between the mass protests following the murder of George Floyd and the surge. In addition, she is wrong to suggest that people have paid for the early opening with their lives considering the recent drop in the mortality rate in Georgia as well as in other states.

The following is an attempt to put things in perspective:

The opening in Georgia began near the end of April when Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp reopening hair salons, gyms and tattoo parlors. At that time, the seven day moving average for new cases was 761 as shown on the Worldometer graph for new cases in Georgia. (If you wish, you can find the graph and follow along to confirm my descriptions.) The following is a link to the website:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/georgia/

Two weeks after the initial opening steps, by mid-May, the seven day running average for new cases was 656. Two weeks after that, at the end of May, it was 595. (This was, by the way, about five days after the beginning of the George Floyd protests.) By mid-June, the state had experienced a moderate rise of the seven day average to 845 per day--probably related to some degree to the mass protests.

However, at that point (three weeks after the beginning of the protests), the number of new cases shot up to a seven day average of 1,944 by the end of June. And on July 2, there was a one day peak of 3,472 new cases. Since then, the number of new cases has dropped to the 1,548 new cases that Georgia experienced yesterday and the seven day average is finally turning downward at 2521. (Hopefully, this downward turn is an indication that the Georgia state health department has been able to catch up with the virus and has started putting out the fire.)

In regard to people paying for the premature opening with their lives, I would mention that the death totals in Georgia have continued a general descent from the end of April with the seven day running average at 35 to the current seven day average of 13 deaths per day. There was a modest peak of 41 on June 15 before the descent to 13 yesterday.

Again, all of the above data is obtainable from Worldometer graphs for the state of Georgia at:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/georgia/

My conclusion from the above is that the surge in Georgia had nothing to do with reopening. The number of new cases remained relatively constant for a month after its completion. What happened was mass protests that caused a surge in new cases.

In addition, the assertion that people paid for it with their lives is actually absurd. Indeed, it is remarkable that despite the mass protests that resulted in large numbers of new infections, the death rate has continued to drop.

Good luck finding the data on the protest causing the up tick. but it sure looks related, to the naked Eye.

Mad, I tried hard, but I failed to find a correlation that could stand up. As a result, I am now convinced that the increase in new cases in several southern and western states is not significantly impacted by outside gatherings.

In the beginning, the possible correlation looked promising. In my review of graphs for several of the southern states that have experienced a surge of new cases, I noticed that the shape of the graphs were similar. These included the states of Texas, Florida, Georgia, Oklahoma, Nevada, Arizona and South Carolina.

The graphs for Texas, Florida, Georgia, Oklahoma, and Nevada are essentially level until about the second week in June at which time they start a decidedly upward trajectory. This seemed to correlate perfectly with the protests which began May 26 in Minnesota and quickly spread to other states. As an example, the following is a link to a Worldometer page containing the graph for Texas:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/texas/

For best viewing, click the seven day moving average checkbox below the graph. At that point, you will notice a slight uptick about May 25 and then a significant upward surge on June 14. If the slight uptick on May 25 is ignored, the correlation of the protests and the upward surge three weeks later aligns perfectly considering that the 7 day running average line is for the week of June 7-14.

However, I quickly noticed that two states, Arizona and South Carolina, do not fit the theory. While they have a similar appearance, the surge in new cases starts too soon to correlate with the protests. The following is a link to the graph for Arizona:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/arizona/

Notice that the uptick in Arizona (based on the 7 day running average) begins on May 27 (which is actually the week of May 20- 27)

The same applies to South Carolina where the upward swing is during the week ending May 30. In both cases, the uptick occurs too soon to be a result of the protests.

And what about northern states that had massive protests such as Minnesota?

Minnesota had a surge of new cases starting the last week in April, but in late May and early June when the protests were in full bloom, the new cases in Minnesota was actually going down:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/minnesota/

And what about other northern states that had massive protests such as Illinois, Michigan, New York?

Nothing! Either the number of new cases are level or descending.

I therefore think it is pretty damn clear that outside open air activities, regardless of the lack of social distancing or masks does not contribute significantly to the spread of the coronavirus.

So what is happening?

With the advent of summer, southern states suddenly start have a major problem with the virus while northern states are suddenly quieting down. What could cause this?

I think it is because people in the southern states are turning on air conditioning systems while people in northern states are turning off heater systems that recirculate inside air.

This is happening throughout society in stores, restaurants, bars, airplanes and subways.

If it isn't that, what else could it be? I believe I have demonstrated from the data that we can’t establish a correlation between mass protests outside and the spread of the virus. If mass protests with people in close proximity don’t spread the virus, it seems unlikely that people taking in the sun on beaches are likely to do the trick.

Seems to me we need to concentrate on heating and air conditioning systems that pump outside air into buildings to mitigate against the spread.

Top Bottom