Ezekiel 'Ziggy' Ansah | Barking Hard

Ezekiel 'Ziggy' Ansah

brownsdownunder

Fuck Cancer! R.I.P Sean Webb
Awards
The thought of taking Ziggy at #6 is probably daunting for a lot of people. He is the most raw prospect in the draft, maybe ever, because he's only started one year, ever, and has only played 3 years of football. Went to America from Africa, was a track star, put on some weight to play football. Didn't know the rules or how to tie his shoes.

At 6'6 and 270 pounds he is an absolute monster of a kid. He also ran the 100m sprint in 10.91 - that's almost Olympic good (Obviously not at 270 pounds though). It's why it's unanimous that he's a first round pick, but debatable if that's mid or late round. I think that will change come the senior bowl/combine if he really shows up, and I think taking him early is still a steal.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpiOSwicEkk[/ame]

Being so raw, he is a project, and he's not going to get himself 13 sacks in his rookie year or maybe even his second year. But the sky is the limit with him. He could be absolutely brilliant. What kind of shocked me was that in 2012 he recorded 62 tackles, 35 solo, 13 for a loss, 4.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble and 9 passes batted down. It looks good, but what shocked me was when I consider our worries about what happened to Jabaal Sheard to give him a down year. Doubled, chipped, pushed and the focus of the opposition line. Well, Ziggy Ansah was doubled much more than Jabaal and TRIPLED at stages. It's scary that he did so much when given so little. Watching other prospects I can safely say I didn't see any getting as much as him.

Here is his play from the Poinsettia Bowl against SD state. He had 5 tackles, an interception, 2 tackles for a loss and a couple of hurries. What I see is how many times the SD QB gets sacked, nearly gets sacked, has to throw it out ect after one guy got a single blocker while one, two or even three were too busy trying to contain Ziggy. Ziggy doesn't give up either. Him being there makes plays because it squares up others in easier situations even if he isn't directly making the play.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9h5CJFMlt8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9h5CJFMlt8[/ame]

There is a lot of Ezekiel on youtube for everyone to see that this isn't a one off thing. This attention has been constant all year. People are straight scared of this guy.

A big positive is he plays 3-4 DE, 4-3 DE, 3-4 stand up linebacker (Doubts he could do that at NFL level though), NT and DT. He's also played both on the left and right. He's the definition of prototype. He's big, fast, incredibly strong and it's given him great versitility. Back to the point I find most amazing - how often he gets double teamed. Apparently that's why they use him in DT/NT sets - because they need too many people to stop him and it lets their DE's go to work one on one.

As for the cons, well, Ziggy could improve across most aspects of his game. He is far from perfect. He's a one year starter but the final result is what makes him so interesting. I think come all the events leading up to the draft Ziggy is going to lift his stock - especially when he runs his 40. A guy who is that destructive while being so new to the game is hard to digest. How good can he actually get.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u9DLxjuYGs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u9DLxjuYGs[/ame]

Ziggy is my draft crush this year. I love his story, I love his dedication to get where he is and I love his dedication to getting where he wishes to go. This guy draws so many rave reviews from everyone who know him. When I think prospects I often thing about them on our team. Winn and Ansah lining up at DE is perfect in a 3-4 and Sheard and Ansah lining up in a 4-3 is also perfect. It's a nightmare set up considering how much attention he is going to draw and how much better he is going to get. Working him with Joe Thomas over the off-season is hopefully going to have the same results that it gave Jabaal Sheard - and we all know what Jabaal said about facing off against big Joe.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O4NawUsjtc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O4NawUsjtc[/ame]

Thinking he could go to us is more a hypothetical situation. Right now you'd probably take someone else, but how he plays out the dates before the draft is going to be very important. He could show up in a massive way and work his way down to us. He's been mocked a few times at #9 so a good showing doesn't make him crazy at #6.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dp4M68Tfw0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dp4M68Tfw0[/ame]

I love some of the videos from 2011. People saying work hard and you might get to the NFL. At that stage he had 10 career tackles in two years. He worked hard and got himself a starting role and then went on to be a first round prospect. Gotta love that in someone.

Anyone else keeping an eye on Ansah?

I watched, and I'm kinda scratching my head because it's film of him vs GT. A) The triple option's never used in the NFL, and B) you don't really get to see his true skill set. I'd like to see what he does against a spread passing attack, as well as a pro-style O. That game tape doesn't overly impress because you don't get to see what he does as the aggressor. Against the triple option, the DEs are always on their heels just due to responsibilities of read and contain. I was honestly underwhelmed from what I did see. He ran down a few plays, but the runners were usually pinched from turning the corner by the secondary already.

Apparently he kicked ass at the senior bowl and really lifted his stock.

This afternoon many of the elite seniors of college football players gathered in Mobile, Alabama for the 2013 Senior Bowl, a contest won by the South 21-16 over the North. The storybook fairytale for BYU’s Ziggy Ansah continued as he led the South’s defense and garnered MVP accolades.
On the day Ansah had six solo tackles, 1.5 sacks, and 3.5 tackles for loss. He also forced a fumble. What the stats don’t show is how his huge frame, impressive strength, and shocking speed disrupted the play of the admittedly weak quarterback play all day. No matter who was tasked with trying to block him, Ansah pushed, swam, or just plowed his way into the backfield all afternoon.
Up and down results in practices and drills throughout the week had caused some scouts to have mixed reviews about where they place Ansah in the upcoming draft. While his size, strength, and speed are all impressive, he is still a young and unrefined player with raw skills. Ziggy proved today and throughout his senior season that there are other aspects of gameplay besides drills and technique that will make one an efficient player. Ansah has shown off many of those intangible gifts that he possesses and after his performance Saturday against many of the nation’s top players, you can bet that all eyes will be on him at the NFL Combine next month. For the humble player from Ghana who had never even put on football pads 2 1/2 years ago, the dream continues, and that dream is certain to have a seven-figure contract attached to it.

he's also overtaken teo as my draft crush this year, possible somewhat due to the fact that one of my best mates is from the same country.

but the potential for this guy is huge, him and mingo. boom or bust, browns are due some luck. let's get some boom.

Ansah's an end in any front. And I don't think he truly boosted his stock in Mobile, given how ineffective he was at practice. More a confirmation of the risk/reward factor that comes with such an inexperienced football player.

Ansah's an end in any front. And I don't think he truly boosted his stock in Mobile, given how ineffective he was at practice. More a confirmation of the risk/reward factor that comes with such an inexperienced football player.

Really? Everything I saw said his stock has risen quite a bit.

I can't really find anything solid on what went wrong with practice. If it was an issue with just understanding it, not doing it effectively or if he was lazy. Have you seen anything to add clarity to that?

Agreed on him being an end across every look. Guy is certainly a speciman.

he's also overtaken teo as my draft crush this year, possible somewhat due to the fact that one of my best mates is from the same country.

but the potential for this guy is huge, him and mingo. boom or bust, browns are due some luck. let's get some boom.

No shit man I'd have no issue pulling the trigger with the top 10 pick. Dude is my crush too. Jadeveon Clowney playing blotto drunk is what Ansah looks like to me. The strength and speed is there he just needs to learn the ropes playing on the technical side of things to become more well rounded and efficient.

I love what he brings to our "Hybrid D" too. He could play 3-4 or 4-3 DE and maybe linebacker on a select few blitz packages which really opens doors depending on what we need to do to shut down the opposition. That's what I want to see in our hybrid, the ability to use guys in more than one way.

I say teaching that kind of size, strength and speed against Joe Thomas is a ripe for destruction. Jabaal talking about how much he learned in his short time at RE against Joe so that alone could really speed up Ziggy's development.

Sorry to triple post guys, but thought I'd share this from Walterfootball who have us taking Ansah at #6.

Cleveland Browns: Ezekiel Ansah, DE/OLB, BYU
BYU_logo.gif

The Browns have to find a franchise quarterback to compete for the AFC North. There are none worth taking here, however - I could be wrong, but I think I remember hearing Michael Lombardi say there was no quarterback worth taking early this year - but that's OK because they need to improve their pass rush as well. Jabaal Sheard led the team in sacks with only seven. Juqua Parker-Thomas was next with six, and he'll be a 35-year-old free agent this offseason.

I'm stealing Charlie's pick from his mock draft. It was very close for me between Ezekiel Ansah and Barkevious Mingo, but I thought about it and the former makes more sense from a scheme perspective. Lombardi learned from Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick, who both prefer larger rush linebackers. Ansah (274 pounds) dwarfs Mingo (240). He was also more productive this past season and possesses more upside, so why not Ansah?

Not entirely sure how I feel about him playing linebacker. I think he could do it, but it's a whole other beast. From a rush perspective it's great. Jabaal looks fearce with a run up and Ziggy is bigger, faster and stronger than Jabaal so wow. But in coverage I haven't really seen enough to say that doesn't concern me. I think it will take longer for him to adjust from the linebacker position.

To me, feels like a square peg. I don't think it's out of the question... but I think we have a marquee starting position to fill at rush 'backer and a few guys in Moore, Jones, and Jordan who've showed the versatility to step right in. Feels like need meets value for once.

My humble opinion: If we don't stun everybody and go quarterback, it's one of those three. Even better if we can trade down a little, add a pick, and still get one of them.

I think of James Harrison in the Steeler's scheme as the ROLB. He's never been lauded as a great coverage LB but that's really never been his role. His job, from the QB's blind side, has been to harass the QB and disrupt running plays. It really depends on what they think of this kid's ceiling.

Really? Everything I saw said his stock has risen quite a bit.

I can't really find anything solid on what went wrong with practice. If it was an issue with just understanding it, not doing it effectively or if he was lazy. Have you seen anything to add clarity to that?
I was down in Mobile for the practices. To me, his biggest issue was his inability and/or unwillingness to dip his shoulder and beat offensive tackles around the edge. As a result, tackles who had trouble anchoring against other pass rushers were able to hold their ground vs Ansah because they knew what was coming.

Obviously, he had a lot more success in the game, I think for two reasons: first, his constant bull-rushing does wear down tackles; second, it puts him in position to make plays when the quarterback ill-advisedly holds on to the ball too long or scrambles in Ziggy's direction.

For those reasons, he could be very productive in the right situation, especially if receives excellent coaching. But at this point, we've got close to no evidence that he can bend it like DeMarcus or the league's other premier pass rushers.

If that was the issue then I am really pleased with that to a certain extent.

He's a raw prospect, I don't think anyone expected him to turn the corner like DeMarcus Ware. That would explain why he's mostly skyrocketed his stock. That's not unusual, but some would have liked to see that. In my eyes a 270 pound raw prospect just don't lean around guys when they're not familiar with it. It feels like a development issue with me. He's going to need that on the rip in the NFL, but he didn't need it in college with his sheer strength and speed. So as he didn't need it maybe the coaches took his development in another direction. An attacking minded coach like Ray is going to make Ziggy learn that and ultimately it's something that can be taught. On the bright side, if he had leaned like some of the pass rushers in the NFL there is no way he's in conversation for us. He'd be picked way earlier. It's a technical move and the technical side of his play (Lack there of) is why he's in our eyes.

I'm really glad to hear that he was wearing down the tackles at that rate though. That's what I want from a prototypical monster like that. When you can wear down some of the best tackles in the country and then capitalize on average QB play (Sorry for the assumption, but I hear the QB's did nothing to leave their mark) then that's exactly what I want from a guy like that. The senior bowl must be really daunting for a guy so raw to be under the watchful eyes against quality players with first round stock on the line, but to be dominant enough for a description after a rocky start like that really highlights his development and ability to just get out there and play.

The combine is going to be very interesting for him.

It's a pretty significant deficiency, though. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a pass rusher who came into the league weak in that area and turned it into a major strong suit.

In fact, it's a big part of why the JPP comparisons don't make sense: though "raw", Pierre-Paul proved he could win around the edge while at USF. Not so with Ansah.

Just to be honest: I don't see him as one of the five or six most likely. So much depends on whether the Browns have already made their mind up to move on at QB. And then I look at hybrid pass rushers.

Top Bottom