Jarvis Jones | Barking Hard

Jarvis Jones

ramrod

Awards
My goodness... Did anyone watch him in the Georgia vs. Mizzou game? Talk about elite...

2013 NFL Draft Scouting Reports - Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia

5 months ago: April 14, 2011; Athens, GA, USA; Georgia Bulldogs linebacker Jarvis Jones (29) during the first half of the Georgia spring game at Sanford Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Daniel Shirey-US PRESSWIRE

The past two years I have done reports very similar to this but I never published them. This year, I have decided to publish my scouting reports for the world to see. A draft grade of 90 or above is considered a first round pick and 95 or above is a top 10 pick. One Scouting Report per day will be published on​
Draft Database
at 8AM.​

Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
Height: 6’3″
Weight: 241
Class: RS Junior
2011 Stats: 70 tackles, 13.5 sacks
Draft Projection: Top 5
Draft Grade (out of 100): 98.5
Player Comparison: James Harrison, OLB, Pittsburgh Steelers

star-divide.v59c7267.jpg

Strengths:

• excellent athlete
  • incredible burst off the line of scrimmage
  • incredible upside
  • great production
  • plays with anger against both the pass and the run
  • good wrap up tackler
  • good bull rush
  • good leverage
  • can drop into coverage and be effective
  • big hitter
  • fantastic motor
  • long arms
Weaknesses:

• Has some troubles disengaging from blocks in the run game
  • Needs more seasoning in his pass rush repertoire
  • Could add weight
  • inexperienced
  • Neck injury his freshman year of college
Final Word: Jones has James Harrison like upside and is a very safe pick. I currently have him graded as my #1 player in the 2013 draft. He plays mean, fast, and smart and can do everything you look for in a 3-4 OLB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumping this.

Jarvis Jones absolutely sucked at his pro day. Ran a slower 40 time than Manti Te'o, and Mayock (Who I've seen a lot people here say they trust) personally clocked him at 4.9. To make matters worse, the rest of his day didn't get any better. One scout said it was terrible.

Dude is still a first round pick, but who knows what this will do. It's still relevant because Lombardi apparently loves him. Don't know what he'll think now.

This is the kind of guy, along with Te'o, Ozzy in Baltimore would draft in a heartbeat. Just a football player and let everyone else pay attention to non-game data. Especially if all of this "he really sucked at his pro day" gets in his ear and places a fat chip on his shoulder.

I agree, still a 1st rounder.

Agreed. Steelers too. It sucks when the best teams grab a guy who falls and then field a top 10 guy.

I don't think he gets past 15 though. Te'o and Jones are the same completely. People will question what is wrong but someone will get what is right - and their right was Sunday dominance.

Right or wrong, it matters. It factors in, maybe more than it should. If he'd done everything well BUT the 40, you'd blow it off. But he had a bad workout.

He has the edge of Te'o on two fronts: The media circus did nothing good for Te'o. And Te'o laid a big, fat turd in the biggest game of his life.

But agree, BDU: Lots of excellent tape on both guys... and tape is truth.

Wasn't it reported that Jones was not a practice guy? Mayock is saying "go back to the tape" on Jones.

I mean if he isn't a practice guy it's a good chance that he just came out and half-assed everything. I don't know though, the 40 time is concerning.

Well, he ain't Von Miller with that 40 time. Doesn't mean the kid won't be an impact player, but he doesn't have elite, pure "athleticism" with that 40 (presuming that's his "best").

Wasn't it reported that Jones was not a practice guy? Mayock is saying "go back to the tape" on Jones.

I mean if he isn't a practice guy it's a good chance that he just came out and half-assed everything. I don't know though, the 40 time is concerning.

If someone has serious questions already to answer, and decides to handle that by skipping the combine and dishing out a half assed pro day, that in itself is just another huge question. Prac is one thing, but a pro-day, especially his situation, is really important.

He looks like he shows good instincts on video, if he's got that you can rebound from being less athletic but I don't know. It seems like a lot of the hype for Jones has died off after the combine and I haven't heard anything about his pro day. Last I heard his spine was given a thumbs up by a doc and that was that... I still feel pretty strongly as I did upon my first impression of the prospect that he could be a great asset to this defense.

Top Bottom