JOE WOODS DEFENCE -- the playoffs are coming.are the correct adjustments being made? | Page 8 | Barking Hard

JOE WOODS DEFENCE -- the playoffs are coming.are the correct adjustments being made?

If you watch the highlights and the box score you might be forgiven for thinking our D was "average" or "good enough"
but If you watch football closely you'd quickly deduct its a chinese fire drill out there. (cosells voice) its anarchy,chaos,disaster.
hill unmarked off the line? LOL with walker realising hes wide open and trying to chase him down from the LOS.
I mean,that sh&t is going to be hard to explain away to KS and ownership.
woods said "hey,ya cant cover them all!" - great deduction from a D genius who does not bother to gameplan his opponents.

BALT just got out up as bad if not worse defensively by KC. BALT was the number 2 scoring D last year, returned most people f their starters, and have had the same system for several years.

It's 2 weeks in to the season. With the off-season rules the first few weeks of the season have tended to look like preseason across the league for a few years now. I am less interested in how the D looks now, and more interested in how it is trending by week's 6-8 of the season. If they are still having issues then I can see having serious concerns

Your just going to make yourself miserable
yes, I am miserable. this D is miserable. no, I dont seriously think we will fire the DC being hes a close personal friend of KS.
the hard truth is though and you guys know damn well,we aint going through the playoffs to win anything with this D.
this was supposed to be the year.our time.we are being held back by one man.

^^^ Well said Masters^^^

...However I heard on 92.3 The Fan this AM that our defense was game planning on the Texans running the ball and that is kind of why the defense looked flat. If true my question immediately is who and why did we believe the Texans would run the ball? Even still, Woods had to have signed off on the/his game plan. Which if true, was an at least a questionable game plan.

All that said I still think we need to give this D more time. Not that I think it's going to be over the top awesome, but to be fair to Woods. I said it before and I'll say it again. This is a damn good organization that is not going to make knee jerk reactions. Particularly the day after a game. That we won.

The trend I see that is a concern is there is little pressure on the opposing QB's. Our DB's are playing little to no man cover schemes when we have Ward and Newsome. The edge is regularly exploited for excellent gains and I haven't even mentioned the abysmal 3rd down defense which is close to the worst in the league. If these guys can't get off the field on 3rd down then they damn well better expect to be playing tired more often. I don't know if that's on Woods defense or on his 3rd down play calls, but it doesn't matter too much anyhow.

FIX IT!

Then I see shit like this:

It's a statistical anomaly. It doesn't match what I've seen.
Aaron Paul What GIF by Breaking Bad

^^^ Well said Masters^^^

...However I heard on 92.3 The Fan this AM that our defense was game planning on the Texans running the ball and that is kind of why the defense looked flat. If true my question immediately is who and why did we believe the Texans would run the ball? Even still, Woods had to have signed off on the/his game plan. Which if true, was an at least a questionable game plan.

All that said I still think we need to give this D more time. Not that I think it's going to be over the top awesome, but to be fair to Woods. I said it before and I'll say it again. This is a damn good organization that is not going to make knee jerk reactions. Particularly the day after a game. That we won.

The trend I see that is a concern is there is little pressure on the opposing QB's. Our DB's are playing little to no man cover schemes when we have Ward and Newsome. The edge is regularly exploited for excellent gains and I haven't even mentioned the abysmal 3rd down defense which is close to the worst in the league. If these guys can't get off the field on 3rd down then they damn well better expect to be playing tired more often. I don't know if that's on Woods defense or on his 3rd down play calls, but it doesn't matter too much anyhow.

FIX IT!
Good stuff Jay.

As far as what was being said on the radio, I would take it with a grain of salt. One of the refreshing things of this new regime has been that they don't tell the media much of anything. So it seems unlikely they have any idea or source of what the game plan was. But assuming it was stop the run first, it does make some sense. History of Taylor would tell you he isn't going to beat you passing all day. He was taking what the D gave him in the first half.

I am with you on Woods. I am simply not making snap judgements 2 weeks in to the season, with 8 new starters, and little real practice/playing time together yet. If by week 6-8 the same issues are occuring then I will get concerned and annoyed with Woods as DC.

You hit on the biggest issue I have seen the first two games, which is that the front 4 are getting no real pressure on the QBs. When that's happening it doesn't matter if playing zone or man, your coverage is going to give up plays. Probably bigger plays if you are out on man coverage.

I have seen a bit of guys ending up out of position or getting fooled by motion which let's the receiver get the leverage they want. That's less scheme and more about players needing to settle in and not still thinking about what they should be doing.

Some of the reactions are as if Woods and the rest of the defensive staff are playing schemes that just leave people open. No DC is drawing up schemes intended to just let people be open

The guy has been the same his entire career. lmao
this isn't a DC thats been tried and tested elsewhere. had success and then was hired by the browns.
this guy is another freddie type gamble.a guy who's only ever done it for 2 years and was fired.
If he gets fired this year (or let go at the end) just like freddie he will be back as a position coach at best.
of course most will say "give him time" and "things will improve" reflecting the views of the browns media exactly.
until the media affirms woods is on the hot seat.then browns fandom will turn on him en mass like they knew it all along.
we have excellent man coverage players. he did play SOME man.perhaps KS is getting to him?
the few times we have played press man? we looked really good.zone needs to be situational. NFL D 101 for dummies..

Last edited:
The entire coaching staff was fired in Denver. Not just Woods. Coordinators are almost always gone when the HC is gone.

2017 Broncos
Defense
4th in yards per game
4th in passing yards allowed per game
5th ranked in rushing yards allowed per game
T23rd in points per game allowed
22nd in sacks
2nd in getting off the field on 3rd down

Offense
17th in yards per game
20th in passing yards per game
12th in rushing yards per game
27th in points per game
31st in give aways (only the browns turned it over more)
14th in converting 3rd downs

2018 Broncos
Defense
22nd in yards per game
20th in passing yards allowed per game
21st in rushing yards allowed per game
13th in points per game allowed
8th in sacks
17th in getting off the field on 3rd down

Offense
19th in yards per game
19th in passing yards per game
12th in rushing yards per game
24th in points per game (Browns scored more per game)
17th in give aways
28th in converting 3rd downs (Browns were better)

It's not just local media not over reacting about the browns D/Woods, it's national media too. Not that what the media says means much.

Or maybe they played man some because that was the game plan for that team....game plans change week to week and opponent to opponent. All man on KC works well....

Zone defense is not just situational. One who thinks that would be the person that needs football 101 for dummies.

Last edited:
I'm not sold either way, but I know Woods isn't getting canned during the season.

That would be disastrous, same ol' Browns type of stuff. Even if the D was under performing.

The D has to start trending upward, period. The good news is Delpit looked phenomenal, Newsome looks like the real deal and now it's time to get JOK unlocked.

We've already had this convo about Woods, and I posted info and links in those threads. He has the reputation of being a dunce. Not putting players in a position to succeed. Forcing players to conform to his limited scheme rather than changing his scheme to best utilize his players talents. Square peg into round hole guy. Unable to adjust a gameplan. Had the very same issues in Denver, and fans hated him for it. Which is why I thought it was a bullshit hire from the get go with so many other viable candidates available.

One would think even he couldn't screw up the talent on this team, but we have already seen it. Hopefully once these guys gel, they can override his lack of ability. But at the end of the day, he's going to get outcoached against most teams.

Defense
4th in yards per game
4th in passing yards allowed per game
5th ranked in rushing yards allowed per game
turns into--
2018 Broncos
Defense
22nd in yards per game
20th in passing yards allowed per game
21st in rushing yards allowed per game

he took a top 5 D and turned it into a well below average one in a year.
then he couldn't get a sniff at another DC job in the entire 32 team NFL.
when you're argument produces stats and results like this? Its not very good.

he got this job because KS and him were friends for 8 years in Minneapolis together.both joined in 2006.
thats why I was shocked to hear woods was back for 2021.you all said he didnt have the talent for his T2 scheme.
good DC's can get it done with average rosters.look at lovie smith for example.
look at his interviews! the guys a deer in the headlights FFS!

blames the players - "theres inconsistency with what they're doing."
he's been saying that same thing since he arrived here. "I think upfront we had pressure"
"you dont want to be so predictable that they know whats coming" LOL soft zone?
"are you where you thought you'd be 2 games in?" woods- "I dont know!" WTF!
we have the perfect coverage LB in JOK and he doesn't want him to play? FFS! I fu&king hate this guy! BUM!
we specifically drafted players for his BS soft zone system! now they are not good enough to play!?!

Last edited:
Top Bottom