John Simon | Barking Hard

John Simon

Greythan

Yin & Yang
Awards
Okay, full disclosure:

• I am not a college football talent evaluation enthusiast. Just not my bag baby.
  • I am not a OSU blinded homer.
That said, I've watched a fair amount of OSU football and this Simon kid impresses me. He spent a lot of time in the opponent's backfield either blowing up running plays or sacking QB's. He's also reputed to be a flat out standout teammate.

At 6'1" he lacks ideal height but at 265# he fits the more "athletic" DE description. I read one scouting report that basically pans Simon believing he's too short, too slow, and lacks athleticism. All I saw was a guy with an unreal motor and great football instincts.

Interested in the draft enthusiasts views on Simon.

I'm going to do something really stupid and post 1. A highlight video and 2. the first thing I have watched of him (I have not even seen his career stats yet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPAWU1Oc1iw

But be that as it may, that was really impressive.

In looking at 6 recent projections he's projecting as a 2nd round pick most of the time. (One said 5th though, gotta love the silly season, we have no idea) including Walter Football who has mocked him (And Carradine) falling past us in the 3rd while we take Landry Jones (I might have to get back on the Colt McCoy love threads until the world see's reason.)

What these guys worth will be is really quite fascinating as I can list maybe (Jones, Moore, Werner, Ansah, Jordan, Mingo, Montomery, Okafor) as all guys regularly thought to be first rounders but you instantly think "Fuck off" because there is no way 8 teams are in need of a DE in the first round alone while a bunch fall in the 2nd/3rd. There there is guys like Carradine & Simon who are mostly mocked in the second. Guys like Gholston going 3rd or later. It's odd. So many guys.

Anyway, I like the pick if the world does warp and DE's start to fall due to lack of need and we can snap this guy up in the 3rd if we didn't find our guy in the first. I'm now going to go watch more and hope I didn't make a complete fuck of myself off one video that may have been a one off, but yeah, that looks nice and I talk too much.

Last edited:
Alright!

I've watched a few hours on him now and I am a little concerned about his reflexes. He seems to be very slow off the line. Werner, for example, has the strong point of being lighting fast off the snap. It means if the tackle doesn't maintain complete focus Werner can get the upper hand and fly around for a sack like Casper was blocking. Werner is actually comparable to the way PollyShittsburgh use to jump the line - it's near impossible to defend. One concern I had over Werner is that in the NFL teams aren't as often caught out by a lightning start because of how well coached they are, so Werner loses a little bit of an advantage that has grabbed him a few sacks in college. So if that impacts Werner, I am a little worried about that. With that said, he greatly improved across 11' to 12' with his jump off the start and I put a big tick on that because it shows development but it needs to further improve if he ever wants to record an NFL sack.

He also has his moves nailed. He can swim, rip, bullrush, spin, lean ect. It's great to have a prospect come in with that. Remember Jabaal only really came in with a bullrush so they worked him with Joe Thomas to help pick up his technique and give him his confidence in the other aspects of his game so he wasn't one dimensional. If we bring him in with that know how then working with Joe is only going to make that better.

I agree with you on what you said too. Quite a few plays fooled everyone and the camera man but not him. He has great vision and instinct, he plays with a high motor and he is one of those odd guys that just find a way to get it done. When I look at ends I also rewatch every play to decide if the blocking was crap, but overall I thought he just did a very good job. He also reminds me of Werner and Moore in the way he can rush and defend the run. I want a 3 down guys at right end. He's not Frostee Rucker.

I am not worried about his size. Size is totally overrated and Drew Brees/Russell Wilson will back me on that. He has the athleticism to not need to depend on his size and strength the way Ziggy Ansah will when he first comes in. He showed he could switch gears depending on the tackles he faced and what would best help him which is a great compliment to him and the coaching staff.

He will most likely rise, so I am not sure if he's our guy, but I think he could develop in to very good player. He just has that it factor. Like you said, he passes the eye test.

I don't think there will be enough faith on him falling to us in the 3rd to overlook the right DE in the first should we love one, but like I mentioned before on the insane quantity of ends tipped to go early, he might very well fall to the 3rd if other ends start getting snapped up and others either step in a development guy or buy in a free agent.

But overall, he's a great player to watch, and watching him as a Cleveland Brown would be fun if we could develop him correctly. I'd like the pick a lot.

Wow BDU, really impressive work there my friend.

Again, I'm not a student (at all) of college players but between what I've watched living in central Ohio of him and how the staff talks of him I think he could be a sleeper (of sorts). I mean you should hear how Urban Meyer goes on about this kid is unreal. It seems like he almost tears up every time he says "John Simon". Guys have to have the physical ability but the intangibles (motor, leadership, dedication, focus) are what separate the good from the great.

Will be interesting to see how he transitions to the NFL.

EDIT: Tried to rep your post but looks like I need to spread it around some. :)

Top Bottom