Kareem Hunt: 2-year, $13.25M extension | Barking Hard

Kareem Hunt: 2-year, $13.25M extension

Yeah, that blue check mark yesterday has zero supporting cast. Some saying he's just an ex-player with a check mark.

Wow.. SpoTrac had his market value at 12 million per year.

Chubb until January of 2022
Hunt until January of 2023

Plenty of time for things to shake out between the two, and in a couple of years, the Jarvis and OBJ contracts will be filtering out as well.

I love Stefanski's response to Zegura asking (in regard to usage of both Hunt and Chubb) "any idea of just splitting the carries down the middle, or going every other game?".

KS replied - "I'd like you to be the one to tell that to Nick Chubb".

I loved it. A clear message that Chubb is RB1. It's been said publicly, so it must the established hierarchy in the locker room as well, I'm thinking.

Atta baby KS. Clear messaging. Don't pitter patter around.

This is great news. And it is not just about Hunt. Instead of replacing Brown and Dorsey players with AB players, AB is quietly converting players he already has into AB players. First, Garrett and now Hunt. He tried with Schobert, but the Jags overpaid. If AB had been here a year earlier, the Jags likely wouldn't have had a chance to outbid him.

Gotta push back on this. According to Schobert's wife, they didn't try ....at all. Zero offers.

I hadn't heard that. I won't dispute it directly, but I would note the following at the time from Mary Kay:
Andrew Berry confirmed that he’ll meet with Joe Schobert’s agent here at the NFL combine in an effort to try to keep him from hitting the free agent market.

But Berry knows that Schobert stands to hit the jackpot in free agency, and that he might not be able to prevent him from testing the waters. Half a dozen teams or more could be interested in the 2017 Pro Bowler, and he stands to make double-digit millions if he shops around.

“Joe is a good player and an even better person,’’ Berry said. “We’re going to spend some time with his representation [Joe Panos] this week to talk through his contractual situation. He’s obviously earned the right to test the market if he deems that appropriate. But it’s one of those situations where we like Joe. It obviously has to work for both sides. It has to work for us from a cost perspective with our long-term roster strategy, and obviously it has to be a fit for Joe and his family as well."

One of five draft picks left on the roster from Sashi Brown’s 24 selections in 2016-17, Schobert wants to stay, but the money must be right. In the future, Berry hopes to wrap up the team’s core players before it gets to this point, but he has to make do this year. He must also make a decision on linebacker Christian Kirksey, who’s coming off a torn pectoral muscle.

“We’re going to be aggressive in engaging in pre-market extensions for players that we view as pillar players — long-term fits for the organization,’’ he said. “That does present it challenges, but those are challenges that we're going to have to face every year."

Say what you will about Mary Kay, my assumption is that she is capable of reporting an accurate quote. Therefore, my guess is that AB wanted Schobert but that he knew Schobert wanted to test his market. So the approach he took was to tell Schobert to test his market and then come back and we'll talk.

Unfortunately for AB and the Browns, Schobert got an offer that he knew AB would not be willing to match and so he never returned.

But that doesn't mean that AB didn't want Schobert and wasn't willing to compensate him appropriately. His statement that Mary Kay quoted makes that clear. But in that situation, he didn't want to make Schobert an offer which would in effect start a bidding war. Instead, he wanted to be in the position to match or counter and never got the chance.

The key sentence in the above quote was:

In the future, Berry hopes to wrap up the team’s core players before it gets to this point.

Looks to me like he is trying to do just that. First it was Garrett and now Hunt. My guess is that we can look for Landry to be next.

Okay, I guess we are getting tit for tat, but...

In the future, Berry hopes to wrap up the team’s core players before it gets to this point, but he has to make do this year. He must also make a decision on linebacker Christian Kirksey, who’s coming off a torn pectoral muscle.

“We’re going to be aggressive in engaging in pre-market extensions for players that we view as pillar players — long-term fits for the organization,’’ he said. “That does present it challenges, but those are challenges that we're going to have to face every year."

I don't blame the Schoberts for wanting AB to engage in a bidding war. But that isn't what AB is about. He made it abundantly clear that if Schobert chose to test his market and came back, he would match the offer if he could.

Good on CLE to lock up Hunt for a couple more years. While Chubb is clearly RB1, those things can change quickly for RB in the NFL. Plus if Chubb were to stay healthy and RB1 for the next two years he is going to command a contract CLE really shouldn't pay (see how that has worked out.for the teams that have done it recently). That will leave the franchise tag to keep him short term, but not long term. This gives CLE a backup plan for the position going forward. Of course Hunt has to continue to stay out of trouble.

As to Joe and contract, it's all rumor, including from himself and his wife. For all we know his agent called with what Jax offered and AB said good luck we can't offer anything anywhere close to that. Which would result in "I wasn't offered anything.". Joe was a nice player, but he is was not anything special at the LB position that can't be replaced pretty easily. Not like he was stopping TEs in the passing game or anyone in the run game either.

As to Joe and contract, it's all rumor, including from himself and his wife. For all we know his agent called with what Jax offered and AB said good luck we can't offer anything anywhere close to that. Which would result in "I wasn't offered anything.". Joe was a nice player, but he is was not anything special at the LB position that can't be replaced pretty easily. Not like he was stopping TEs in the passing game or anyone in the run game either.

Well, either way, I guess it amounts to "no offers." :)

Sorry I got this off track. The point that I was trying to make was the manner in which AB is handling contracts for players like Garrett and Hunt.

The reference to Schobert was an unfortunate sidenote that kind of got us off track. The key point I was attempting was the manner in which AB has handled the contracts for Garrett and Hunt. The inference from the Mary Kay article was that AB viewed Schobert as a pillar player that he wanted to keep if he could, but really, that was just a sidenote.

The main point was that AB is following through on his promise to "be aggressive in engaging in pre-market extensions." We already have two examples: Garrett and Hunt. I think we can look forward to more of the same with other pillar players.

Wonder what the Saints think of that deal? Alvin Kamara never lead the league in rushing or was offensive rookie of the year.
Can't believe Hunt signed that deal. Lesser backs are getting that for 1 year.
Just unbelievable.

He obviously felt unwanted. Maybe he would have taken a lesser offer to stay. You just don't know. Point is, AB made zero effort to get him to stay. Like @Masters he must have felt he was overrated.

We just don't know. we don't know if AB made any offer or what cost discussion were had with Joe's agent. The only thing that can be gleemed out of Joe and his wife's tweets is no formal offer was presented to Joe and his wife. The only thing clear is that Joe and his wife's feelings were hurt over how it all worked out. Can't blame them, they had to move to Jacksonville

Sorry I got this off track. The point that I was trying to make was the manner in which AB is handling contracts for players like Garrett and Hunt.

The reference to Schobert was an unfortunate sidenote that kind of got us off track. The key point I was attempting was the manner in which AB has handled the contracts for Garrett and Hunt. The inference from the Mary Kay article was that AB viewed Schobert as a pillar player that he wanted to keep if he could, but really, that was just a sidenote.

The main point was that AB is following through on his promise to "be aggressive in engaging in pre-market extensions." We already have two examples: Garrett and Hunt. I think we can look forward to more of the same with other pillar players.

A player can't be a pillar and be a side note. If Joe was a pillar he would have been retained, or at minimum more effort would have been there to do so. AB is like every other GM in the league. What he says to the press should be taken with a grain of salt. Sure AB and this front office wants to retain top talent the team drafted, and lock them up as early as they can. 31 other teams want to dot he same thing and say the same thing.

A player can't be a pillar and be a side note. If Joe was a pillar he would have been retained, or at minimum more effort would have been there to do so. AB is like every other GM in the league. What he says to the press should be taken with a grain of salt. Sure AB and this front office wants to retain top talent the team drafted, and lock them up as early as they can. 31 other teams want to dot he same thing and say the same thing.

My initial reference to Schobert was intended as a side note.

Regardless, while it is hard for me to feel sorry for people being forced to live in Florida, I can see why after playing for a loser during his rookie contract, Joe may be feeling some regret that he is missing out on the revival and instead signed with another loser--even if it is in Florida.

Top Bottom