Labor Day BBQ: WFNY Staff Chat | Barking Hard

Labor Day BBQ: WFNY Staff Chat

Barking Hard

Awards
Labor Day weekend is nearly upon us. So, we need to discuss BBQ. All types. Your secrets, your favorites, your don’ts. Whatever you want.

wfnycraig – Is there anything better than a smoked brisket? I’m super jealous of my brother who got a Traeger pellet smart grill. It takes a lot of the babysitting out of the smoking process, keeping consistent temps for long periods of time. I am out of the habit of doing smoking right now, so for me it’s a lot of grilling. I like to brine chicken for grilling so it doesn’t dry out. We’ll probably go simple burgers and dogs this year. One of my kids doesn’t eat meat for the most part other than salami and chicken fingers, or fish sticks, so it’s a lot of ketchup sandwiches at this point. That’s a whole other conversation.

mgbode – Burnt ends off smoked brisket!

wfnycraig – The best. I’m sure it’s not like you have in Texas, but the burnt ends at Oak and Embers here in the Cleveland area are really good. They serve them with a side of plantain chips as well.

mgbode – I mostly cook at home these days. I try to follow the same type of philosophy as some of the pros here, but they are professionals for a reason. I keep to four components to add: sea salt, black pepper, EVOO, garlic powder. I don’t always use all four, but those are what I use exclusively in some combination. And, my opinion is that there is no such thing as too much when applying during grilling. Another factor is I also grill rather than smoke. To help compensate a bit, I try to always buy 3 pound or bigger slabs of steak rather than individual portions. Part of what makes that brisket good is being able to hold in the flavor with those bigger cuts.

And burgers and hot dogs are a good way to go too. Add some corn on the cob there and I’m in.

andrew – When I was a kid, I loved corn on the cob, and now as an adult, I despise it. Most of the time it’s the other way around, things I hated as a kid I now love, but for whatever reason I just do not like corn anymore at all.

davesterling – I was just here to stan corn on the cob. Not boiled, not roasted, straight on the grill. Get it slightly brown on the tips of the kernals to carmalize it. So good!

mgbode – Oh, interesting… I prefer to butter it up, throw some salt & pepper on, and wrap in foil to put on the grill to avoid that carmelization.

davesterling – I feel bad for Bode corn wise. Nothing beats Ohio sweet corn.

mgbode – This is fact.

davesterling – Ate at an excellent BBQ place in North Las Vegas back when going to other places was a thing. They had smoked corn-on-the-cob on the menu, we thought it would be good…but when you start with non-sweet bland corn…no good at all.

mgbode – Anyone grill seafood?

wfnycraig – I’ve always hated seafood. The word combination “seafood boil” is maybe the most disgusting food terminology I can think of.

andrew – Craig and I are long-lost brothers. I also hate seafood.

mgbode – That’s cool, more BBQ shrimp for the rest of us.

andrew – As for my grilling habits, I haven’t done much this year. I don’t usually get too crazy, though. I mostly grill burgers and steaks. But even steaks I normally do on the stove because it’s easier to make sure I don’t overcook them.

joshpoloha – BBQ anything for me. Brisket, ribs, wings…literally anything. I’m a huge barbecue fan. As far as seafood goes, I’m a big fan of shrimp, scallops, lobster, and crab.

mgbode – @joshpoloha – since you mentioned ribs & wings… do you have a preference between sauce or rubs?

joshpoloha – Any non-spicy BBQ sauce for me. The more sweet/honey, the better.

mgbode – Baste or marinate?

joshpoloha – Doesn’t matter to me. I just love sweet/honey BBQ sauce; doesn’t matter how it’s on the actual food itself.

Top Bottom