Manti Te'o - First-round bust for Cleveland Browns | Page 4 | Barking Hard

Manti Te'o - First-round bust for Cleveland Browns

I've only known you for two drafts so not up to me. Maybe I am secretly pissed at you deep down because you stopped fighting for Damontre Moore. :(

Total misunderstanding: He's still my favorite pick. I just don't think he's gonna be there.

But last draft... I was kind of all over that. Let's see if I can string a couple together.

Starting to look like Teo was indeed duped by that Ronald guy... but that's not a ringing endorsement. He also kept it quiet, maybe advised to do so, when he should've come out immediately. Would've been so much better.

I am actually thinking trade up for him. The other DE's just seem like settling for much less and the thought of Jabaal Sheard and a Demontre Moore who is working against Joe Thomas seems worthy. I won't be shocked if he actually goes #2 though.

Te'o said he found out 20 days before the big game, was confirmed 15 days before, and kept it quiet for the sake of the team (And most likely his career) before going to the coaches.

There's still a ton of weirdness, BDU. He and his family certainly spoke in very misleading ways about this "girlfriend," including her visits to the family home in Hawaii. At the very least, it feels like elevating that relationship to perfect the narrative of losing someone meaningful. If they'd ever said, "Well, it was an online relationship, not a girlfriend in any traditional sense," it would've been seen as kind of odd instead of so heartbreaking.

As Florio put it, lots of nooks and crannies to be investigated.

Shep, you do realize that this weirdness around Manti will draw Banner/Lombardi to him with our first pick like a moth to the flame.

I mean it would be the logical continuation of our pretty weird offseason: we'll be tracking Moore or one of the top edge rushers and then on draft day we'll trade up a spot and take Manti.

Your reaction to that will be priceless however. ;)

Weird and wrong in so many ways

There's still a ton of weirdness, BDU. He and his family certainly spoke in very misleading ways about this "girlfriend," including her visits to the family home in Hawaii. At the very least, it feels like elevating that relationship to perfect the narrative of losing someone meaningful. If they'd ever said, "Well, it was an online relationship, not a girlfriend in any traditional sense," it would've been seen as kind of odd instead of so heartbreaking.

As Florio put it, lots of nooks and crannies to be investigated.
Oh, there's a ton of weirdness alright.

My point earlier wasn't to defend Te'o or attack you, btw. I came at you only because there's a lot of confusion and you weren't clearing anything up.

My pet peeve in these situations is poor reporting and then poor repeating and Twitter makes both REALLY easy.

For instance, Gregg Doyel from CBS came out IMMEDIATELY blasting ND and Te'o for being liars. Has he repented? Of course not. It's his job to stir shit up.

But I have no respect for that approach. I'd rather see some decent reporting about what did or did not happen, what was or was not true. We're getting there, slowly, and it's becoming apparent that Te'o was likely duped then lied about the hoax to keep it from becoming, well, this.

And let's not kid ourselves. This would have happened. It wouldn't have been as big had he gotten better advice and/or made better decisions about how to release it but it would have still been big, and distracting.

Given how everything played out, however, I do have to wonder if giving the team time to go through this and recover wouldn't have been better -- and maybe even influenced the game in a positive way.

But, as the old cliche goes: it is what it is.

Anyway, as for the draft, I do have to imagine this kills his top 10 candidacy and all things considered, I'm okay with that.

I still think it's as likely as not that he becomes a good-to-great NFL player but I'm not blind to needing a stud at 6 and I'm fine with whatever stud we identify, pass rushing or otherwise.

Te'o is sooo going to Minnesota to join the other Irishman. Two slots in the late first round for the Vikings. Seems like a perfect fit.

313364_10151497765187836_610542656_n.jpg

My excitement level... because of my complete lack of attachment to either the Irish or Vikings... is literally off the charts. Like... on the lower side.

Teasing you, bro. Know you love your Irish. There's a certain one I'd like in an orange helmet, as you know.

Apparently on Steve Marriuchi's draft prospect show, Te'o, Barkley and Eifert were featured. At one point Manti attempted to make light at his plight, when Marriuchi said they would need to pretend there was a WR on the play they were simulating Manti said "Im good at pretend things..." Marriuchi asked for clarification and Te'o shut his pipe.

He says he's ready for possible bullying he will receive on his rookie "hazing" but I don't know 1) how bad it really gets and 2) if he has as thick skin as he claims.

As a rough aside, I used to work with someone who was sexually abused by his mother. He was socially awkward and liked to make light of it for some reason and when I read Te'o's joke it made me think of this. It's clear to me it's not something he's "over" which leads me to believe he wasnt in on the hoax. I didn't SEE the episode though so I'm plainly reading in to this, just an observation.

He's been working really hard to erase that hoax, the Alabama game and his poor combine showing... I haven't really read a lot of bad buzz, outside this moment, that has suggested his stock is on thin ice.

That being said, unless we trade WAY down, No way Manti is in Brown and Orange next year...

Top Bottom