Manti Te'o - Future Browns Hall of Famer | Page 9 | Barking Hard

Manti Te'o - Future Browns Hall of Famer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a getting old thing. I just feel gross being mean now. I never was very into it, certainly only defensively... but I just don't get anything out of it. Always feel like I need a shower.

I was royally fucked over in the Hollyweird biz recently and frankly never got properly worked up over it. I was so lame about it a good friend asked if I was on something. I just shrugged and said, "What's the point? Like I didn't know it could be a shitty business?"

I think Te'o is just about as cool a kid as I've seen in college football. So likable. I loath the SEC and I dig that kid so I'm all about Notre Dame tonight.

Still not the right draft pick... but I'm a fan. Just saw where he missed 2 tackles all year. Impressive.

EDIT: Oops. Kinda feel like I hexed him. I take it all back.

EDIT AGAIN: Te'o had a seriously rough night. Gonna raise a lot of questions. Dane Brugler jumped on it fast on Twitter, said he's not an elite NFL prospect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dane Brugler

WHO? Yeah... Exactly.

One bad game and he's no longer Elite? Get the fuck outa here. Of course I Googled this no name wannabe and I see he's another Dave Thomas(Founder of Wendy's) lacky. Yeah these are the guys to trust, the same ones that swore Laurinaitis was a mid round prospect because at 6'2", 255lbs he was "too small for linebacker" and "not elite." The same guys who also called Clay Matthews a 3rd round "project" and had Aaron fucking Curry and Rey Alcoholuaga as "Elite" first round prospects. Should I also mention listing Brandon Spikes as a 4th round scrub over a bad 40 time?

Yeah, i'd definitely trust Davey and his mindless NFL Draft "Scout" lackey's as knowledgeable when it comes to Linebackers. Their records on being correct are so utterly steller.

Daniel Jeremiah, highly respect ex-scout (including for the Browns) said the same thing. He's never seen Te'o as an elite NFL prospect but does like him. Says he's still first round but needs to be in a 4-3 where he's protected (he gets overwhelmed in spite of size). Won't measure great but will interview great.

We'll see what we see. The game wasn't about changing minds on Te'o so much as confirming what a lot of the draftnicks and scouts already thought.

EDIT: Jeremiah has tweeted on that he thinks Te'o will be a solid pro but not a gamechanger. Someone asked if C.J. Mosley is better and Jeremiah said yes. By a good margin.

Last edited by a moderator:
What did you expect, KoK, Shep is going to be looking for any little thing he can to drop Manti's name in a massive negative. He has all year.

I would seriously bet that if you could see in to the future and proved to Shep that you could, and you said "Manti Te'o will be a hall of fame linebacker - the greatest the NFL has ever seen - while all DE prospects will never be more than either a solid player or just simply a bust" he would still try to talk you in to drafting a DE.

What did you expect, KoK, Shep is going to be looking for any little thing he can to drop Manti's name in a massive negative. He has all year.

I would seriously bet that if you could see in to the future and proved to Shep that you could, and you said "Manti Te'o will be a hall of fame linebacker - the greatest the NFL has ever seen - while all DE prospects will never be more than either a solid player or just simply a bust" he would still try to talk you in to drafting a DE.

Do you EVER have a conversation where you just have the conversation? As opposed to turning it into another jackoff with KoK? It's a real topic.

And enter the annual "This loser who flamed out and cannot get a job in the NFL says what I need him to say. He's 'well respected' even though he has been fired from three teams and can't get another scouting job."

*Yawn* hacks on the internet are saying he isn't elite. The same ones who said James Lauranaitis and Clay Matthews weren't elite. Meanwhile those who are IN the NFL and actually know something? Yeah... Elite.

Been there, done that. Said Brandon Spikes was a badass motherfucker we needed to grab in round 2, Shep wanted a WR. Neither one got what they wanted yet Billy B proved me right. In a way it sucks, I keep falling for the whole fall for a player deal and we never grab 'em and I have to keep watching them to go New England(Mayo, Spikes, SeaBass, Gronk.) Fuck you Belichick, fuck you in the ass to make you humble, Old Country Way.

Where was I? Oh yeah, Mant'i. Yeah we will probably pass, Balt will probably make a move and grab him and in all likelyhood he steps right in and the drop off from Ray Ray becomes minimal. Maybe we'll grab another DE that gets 4-6 sacks a year though. Or maybe another 1st round QB even.

Do you EVER have a conversation where you just have the conversation? As opposed to turning it into another jackoff with KoK? It's a real topic.

We tried that. You just kept grinding your axe. Many tried to have a conversation about Manti but your bullshit got so bad that we had to stop talking about him because it just wasn't worth it anymore. The thread went dead and now started again because you went in just to say something negative. It is what it is.

Somebody name dropped Arthur Brown agessssss ago and I was really impressed with him, been keeping a keen eye ever since, and I am shocked he is still mostly tipped to be a 3rd round pick. I could easily see him being a rewarding pick in the 2nd.

I'd be all over him like a fat kid on cake.

Yup. Probably gonna stay away from convos like these for a while. Gonna be busy with the videos, Senior Bowl, and stocking shelves at Blockbuster.

Yup. Probably gonna stay away from convos like these for a while. Gonna be busy with the videos, Senior Bowl, and stocking shelves at Blockbuster.

Sorry about that, pal. You're one of the main reasons to drop by here.

It was going to happen sooner or later. Manti plays a bad game and plummmmmmmmeeeeeettttttsssss down the mock boards. Some even have him a second rounder. Walter football has him going to the Steelers, a million Bleacher report people are going mental with him being the perfect replacement for Ray Lewis and some even have him as a second round prospect. I know I just said that, but it needed repeating.

I hope he goes to the Ravens or Steelers, because he is such a bad player. Eye roller.

I hate this. Every year a late team gets a guy like Manti and says "WOW, A GUY LIKE THIS FELL TO US!? WELL, NEVER FEAR, YOU'LL BE A PRO BOWLER SOON ENOUGH!" while we complain that we, once again, didn't hit on the pick.

This fucking game, I swear.

I hadn't watched all that much of him so I admit that I'm tainted by a legitimately bad showing. He couldn't cover, couldn't get off blocks, and missed tackles... the last thing you'd expect from him. Thing is, he's gonna see nothing BUT guys like this in the NFL, and that's always the issue with guys who don't have high end physical attributes: For all the character and technique, can they keep up?

It happens all the time... but you're right: It goes the other way, too. I don't have a crystal ball but scouts and GMs have to make a call anyway. Truth is, he's a non-rush backer so he has to be truly special both physically AND in the intangibles to go in the top half of the round. I think he'll probably settle into a more reasonable spot based on his prospects at the NEXT level.

Yuh, and like I said, guys like Ray Lewis got the same "not special" deal and look at where they ended up.

I feel really bad for Manti, and admittedly I do like the kid as it is, but the way he is getting torn down over one bad game is laughable. To be so special all year, to almost do enough to win the hiesman, just to be called a second round pick because you had a bad game is tough.

I still don't get the pass rush nonsense - he is a middle linebacker. Ray Lewis got 5 sacks in his best year. Brian Urlacher has 9 in the past 7 years. DQJ racks up love with a career best 3.5 (Both in 2011 and 2012). Navorro Bowman has only grabbed 4 in 3 years. Patrick Willis has only ever grabbed 6 in his best year and has 2.5 in the past two years. I bet I can point out a bunch of those low sack numbers coming from broken pockets too. I know pass rush lovers bitch on about sacks meaning nothing because pressure is everything but it goes to show that the best M/ILB's aren't the major point of attack for pass rushing which has the ultimate goal of bringing down the QB. DE's are the guys who do that, then outside linebackers. Middle men hit the gap or chew up the block. Simple. That's enough pressure and distraction as it is. Even then, they spend most of their time in coverage. Why does all of a sudden Manti need to be a pass rushing monster to be any good when frankly none of the elite MLB's are?

MLB's shut the shit out of the run so the DE's have something to rush more predictably. Can't stop the run, won't stop the pass, cannot win the game. Simple, really.

It seems messed up to me. Our starting RDE doesn't know how to rush the passer and is only there to stop the run (Might I add, poorly enough as it is) - and we can't draft a monster MLB because he cannot rush the passer and is only elite at stopping the run. This team, I just don't know anymore.

Last edited:
Again, he's a non-rush linebacker and those are pretty plentiful. And in a passing league, if you don't cover or rush, you're gonna be a little marginalized unless you're perceived as transcendent or whatever word you wanna use. I'm not sure who qualifies for that, frankly. Willis?

Truth is, the top teams aren't the best against the run anymore, or at least they don't have to be. Several really good teams aren't fantastic at stopping the run. The Browns actually ARE, coming in 13th at 4.2 a carry, better than average and better than several teams still competing. If a team is building to run the ball and stop the run, they're competing 15 years ago.

Te'o is a really good player and he'll get drafted high for his position. He's a pure Mike with some coverage questions and some speed questions in general. The Browns wouldn't seem to be candidates because the Mike features one of their best players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom