Movie recommendations thread | Page 8 | Barking Hard

Movie recommendations thread

My wife had told me about a Stephan King book that was an interesting
Look at the events of November 22,1963
Hulu made a mini series about it, definitely worth a watch if you have
access to it

- A movie released in 1984 is mostly a good bet.
- Young me watched a lot of movies like New Jack City.
- The Hunt for Red October is a good cold war movie.
- more recently, if you want 90s style but simple modern action movies without the obnoxious CGI then The Transporter with Jason Stratham is pretty good. Girls like that movie a lot too.
- for comedies you cant go bad with 90s spoofs like Naked Gun and Hot Shots. Or older with Airplane! and Blazing Sadles.

Watched 2018's The Predator last night. I knew it would be awful, Twitter was aflame with rage when it hit theatres so I was in the mood to watch a terrible movie and did it ever deliver. Like Little Ceasars Pizza, it was hot and ready (and utter garbage).

The plot could not have made less sense if they tried, and they didn't really try. Here's the abridged version (spoiler free). A renegade Predator has come to Earth. A soldier interacted with him, somehow killed him (or Wounded him) and stole his PredatorTech. Fastforward a bit, Other Predators show up (the BIG ones from the last Predators movie with Adrien Brody), they want the rogue Predator. Oh yeah sidetrack, the soldier is a military prisoner all of a sudden and his boy (who is "autistic" and therefore a wonderkid) can somehow use the PredatorTech. So recap (and side note: They don't actually, I'm like 75% sure, tell you the boy is the protagonists son until he's storming in to the house going "WHERE IS MY SON" lmao)

The Boy figures out there's a ship (the one the rogue Predator crashed), and where it is. The Predators know the Boy is messing with their Tech, and want him, AND then they figure out the Boy knows where the ship is. The Government knows the boy can mess with their tech and wants him (because he knows where the ship is). The boy's Dad of course doesn't figure things out until it's almost too late so you've got the rogue soldiers (like a rag-tag bunch of rascals) the government and Olivia Munn ET expert (who eventually says fuck the government and joins the rogue soldiers), AND the Predators all looking for this boy.

Let me tell you if you think this makes no sense, the way they (absolutely fail) tell it in the story is even worse. I feel bad for Shane Black, who wrote the original Predator screenplay, for being saddled with this mess. I think he just said "fuck it, I can make a movie out of this"

So, Pros:
- The movie was very violent and that was all I really wanted
- Thomas Jane and Keegan-Michael Key's soldier characters pretty much saved the movie from being a completely unwatchable shitstorm.
- Somehow, the movie does manage to combine the continuity of ALL the Predator films. Which was kind of cool.

Cons: - Predator Dogs (even the good one... what the fuck lmao)
- Virtually everything else.

I give it ** or 3/10. IF you like Predator, or BAD action movies. This isn't that bad, it makes fun of tons of action and horror movie tropes especially from the 80's so even though it has the glitz and glamour and sub-par SFX you'd expect from a modern day lower budget action flick. It has that kind of charm that some action movies today just don't have. It was a wild ride. It was entertaining but it was fucking awful. Wifey was pissed we "wasted the evening" on it even though I am pretty sure I was explicit that we were about to watch a shit movie.

That sounds like what you're describing that movie was so bad/silly yet had no redeemable qualities too it. I like movies like that so be it DOESN'T take itself too seriously haha.

This is one of the variety I might check out soon. As soon as a I saw the dinosaur in the trailer I cracked up!

That’s the weird thing about movies sometimes, there
so hyped they can’t live up to the “thumbs up” review
it received.
Going in knowing the movie your about to watch is total garbage
can sometimes lead to a decent watch.
Great movies are scarce anymore, sequels and remakes aren’t
all that original and probably make me enjoy movies like “Inception”
more than I should?

My wife had told me about a Stephan King book that was an interesting
Look at the events of November 22,1963
Hulu made a mini series about it, definitely worth a watch if you have
access to it

IF you're a King fan I cannot reccomend the book enough, it's one of his best IMO. I really, really enjoyed it and it was the kind of book that sat with me for a while after I finished it. You really feel bad for the protagonist.

That’s the weird thing about movies sometimes, there
so hyped they can’t live up to the “thumbs up” review
it received.
Going in knowing the movie your about to watch is total garbage
can sometimes lead to a decent watch.
Great movies are scarce anymore, sequels and remakes aren’t
all that original and probably make me enjoy movies like “Inception”
more than I should?

I don't know man I loved so much Inception and I wrote a paper about it in university lmao (It was for Film Studies class so not THAT random).

See, I can't do "B movies" That's when my movie elitist mode kicks in and like to be fair the odds I would have ever watched The Predator otherwise are very slim but the stars aligned and I did and I don't regret it but it was exactly the kind of movie I knew it would be. Velocipastor looks like the kind of movie I would have chuckled at when I worked at the movie store, I loved all the B-movie ripoffs of big hollywood blockbusters. Just how absolutely shameless they were lol.

I hate to stand on my high horse but I usually got movies pegged right away especially in this day and age where every movie is so cookie cutter. It's why I don't watch trailers anymore, if I do decide to watch a movie I am better off with zero preconception of what I'm about to watch.

That sounds like what you're describing that movie was so bad/silly yet had no redeemable qualities too it. I like movies like that so be it DOESN'T take itself too seriously haha.

This is one of the variety I might check out soon. As soon as a I saw the dinosaur in the trailer I cracked up!

This was a movie a couple years ago when it first came out everyone remarked how funny it was and must see. it just kinda seemed to me at the time a movie a movie that tried to be crass without any real point. I didn't really laugh much during it. So yeah I could be like that as well lol

Yeah Sausage Party was disappointing. It had a few funny laughs but it fell pretty flat overall. That was a mediocre ** 1/2 / 5/10 ish at best.

Now a good raunchy animated comedy worth checking out:

The Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film For Theatres: That show is just absurd and tickled me greatly. Plenty of callbacks to jokes from the show's run.

Heavy Metal 2000: If you're a fan of Heavy Metal as I am, this was great fun.

Beavis and Butthead Do America: I'm not 100% sure but after the success of this movie is part of what lead his previous cinematic offering Office Space to become a cult classic. Beavis And Butthead Do America is basically animated Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back, there's a lot of thematic overlap there but anyway I love all of the movies I just mentioned.

The Futurama Four-Pack: They re-edited the films in to a single season of the TV Show (season 5) after it was rebooted but I always preferred them in film form. Bender's Big Score, The Beast With a Billion Backs, Bender's Game, and The Wild Green Yonder offer plenty of laughs if you like a more mature humor but IMO Bender's Big Score and Bender's Game are the best. They can be enjoyed back-to-back or independently. Big Score lead's in to Beast w/ 1000000000 backs but each movie has it's own narrative.

One of my favourite movies and IMO one of the best performances (Daniel Day Lewis) you'll see in any movie. I am a huge Paul Thomas Anderson fan though: Boogie Nights and Punch Drunk Love area also among my favourite movies. I haven't yet seen Phantom Thread or The Master but both were critically acclaimed.

Fun fact, Danile Day Lewis has won Best Actor THREE times, including for this film. He was nominated for Gangs of New York, another one of my favourite movies. He also won for his work in Lincoln and My Left Foot. Only one Actor (Katherine Hepburn) has won more academy awards, simply put I think DDL is the greatest actor of our time.

Like I really can't say how much I love There Will Be Blood.

*I wouldn't watch this if you haven't seen the movie but this scene in particular is fucking great. Edit: Okay they cut this before the shit goes down but yeah one of the climax scenes of the film.*

I forgot about Punch Drunk Love, I saw that what feels like another lifetime ago. It was pretty decent. Sandler played a quirky guy I could relate to to some extent. I remember he had annoying sisters on the movie.

I thought as a kid Sandler was funny but at some point it seemed to me he just kind of phoned it in after a while. This is probably my favorite Sandler movie I could watch every few years:

Gangs of NY was the shit!
It actually made me watch “my left foot”
My family had come off those ships.
On a more serious note Day-Lewis is bad ass same
as “Deniro”before he sold out.
I liked Lincoln as well, the man did his home work, his
Portrayal of our thirteenth President is what I learned of through books
and historical specials I’ve viewed in regards to his mannerisms and speech,
for a man of his size Lincoln had a high voice just like Patton did,(Patton was good”),lol
I can’t imagine how you go from living like someone back to your own life without damage?
That’s a dedication I’ve never known, not sure most could...

Charlie’s post about Sandler:
I kinda got Billy Madison loved “Happy Gilmore“
I quit caring around “little Nicky” I wasn’t watching SNL then.

Last edited:
DeNiro & Pacino I usually liked most of the roles they played in the 70's-90's. I thought DeNiro might have been a stronger actor in his prime. But Pacino hasn't sold out as much over the years. Although the Dunkacino commercial or whatever that was really really lame. Only personal opinion there.

One of my favorite Pacino characters:

Pacino as well as Deniro are a couple of our finest actors in our era,
Both have sold out over the past fifteen years and I don’t blame them
at all.
In there prime, actors could make a great living, but not billion dollar
big movie type money deal and wtf?, in there later years wanted to be
recognized financially as much as being known for great acting.

Anyone who reaches for the highest rung and achieves there dreams
I can’t be anything but happy for all of them!!!

Top Bottom