Non-Tackle Options at #10 | Barking Hard

Non-Tackle Options at #10

DawgFan

In NFL HELL since 1964
Awards
I know that chalk has us going LT at #10, and if we are being honest, it makes a lot of sense. There are only 2 reasons the Browns would go another direction.

1) They don't believe the LT's available are a fit for their scheme
2) An elite player from another position of need is too good to pass up

None of us have enough real insight/knowledge to know if reason #1 comes into play, so in this thread I would like to look at the "ELITE' players from other positions of need. Some are highly unlikely to fall to us and/or would require a huge trade up...but I will be honest, I believe the Browns are looking for QUALITY over quantity...so (IMHO) I think trading up is definitely in the realm of possibilities.

With all that said, here are the players that could be targeted:

Chase Young, DE/Edge
Isaiah Simmons, LB
Jeff Okudah, CB
Derrick Brown, DT
CeeDee Lamb, WR
Jerry Jeudy, WR
Javon Kinlaw, DT

There are 3 QB's and potentially 3 T's that could go in the top ...based on that math, the Browns will have a shot to get at least 3 of the above players at 10, or they could move up and get to 2, 3, 4, or 6 as needed.

I think it is important to keep all options open...and I am sure the analytics guys are discussing these very same options...so what would you all be willing to do if the Browns go away from chalk and take one of these guys?

WR’s over LT?
I can actually see a plan unfolding where we make
a trade for a tackle and obj is the target player.
Yeah,yeah,yeah he sucked last year nobody wants
him,we won’t get value .......
When Hopkins was traded by the Texans for a broken
RB and Amari Cooper gets a hundred million trust me
plenty of WR needy teams would take obj in a heartbeat.
He is a draw and when healthy a better than average
wideout and has star power which puts fans in seats.
This draft is receiver rich so for what our offense is
going to be using and the receivers we already have our
needs don’t meet our Diva star wideout so imo there are
ways to get what we need and any west coast team would
scoop him up for at the very least a first rounder and
possibly a third or fourth.

How ever you look at it we’re going to run a lot and work
out of two TE sets and play action which will greatly slow
receptions and call for more blocking and that isn’t obj’s
strong suit.

I did not make a valuation decision on players to include...I took all non-QB/non-T position players that are highly rated and put them in the list.

With that said, would you complain if the Browns could do something like the following:
Trade OBJ for 19
Trade 10th overall to TB for 14th/76th
Take CeeDee Lamb or Jerry Jeudy at 14
Take Jones/Cleveland/Austin at 19

Still have full draft plus 76th (3rd)

Just saying, many ways to do things...some less obvious than others.

My non-OT order of preference would be:

Isaiah Simmons, LB
Derrick Brown, DT
Chase Young, DE/Edge
Jeff Okudah, CB
Jerry Jeudy, WR
CeeDee Lamb, WR
Javon Kinlaw, DT

I did not make a valuation decision on players to include...I took all non-QB/non-T position players that are highly rated and put them in the list.

With that said, would you complain if the Browns could do something like the following:
Trade OBJ for 19
Trade 10th overall to TB for 14th/76th
Take CeeDee Lamb or Jerry Jeudy at 14
Take Jones/Cleveland/Austin at 19

Still have full draft plus 76th (3rd)

Just saying, many ways to do things...some less obvious than others.

I get where your coming from and anything can happen
on draft day but at the end of the day we are not good
enough to get cute with who we draft.
We have had a different starting QB every year since our
return because we were the smartest guys in the room.
Let’s not over think it, we need to fill positions of need not
reach for the stars LB is a HUGE position of need but forty
sacks can’t count the knockdowns and 21 picks screams
Oline. Then fill in the blank.
as far as OBJ and how we handle it is an important discussion
because in the Stefanski system he won’t be happy and he isn’t
a fit,Landry is a keeper OBJ is baggage that other teams will buy
in a heartbeat and get us back in the first and maybe even a third
third pick or atleast a fourth.

Non OT player that falls to 10:

Chase Young
Simmons
D Brown
Okudah
Jerry Jeudy
CeeDee Lamb
Kinlaw

I don't think we need to trade up cause we'll get a damn good player at 10 regardless of position.

we are not good
enough to get cute with who we draft.
We have had a different starting QB every year since our
return because we were the smartest guys in the room.

You mean like the numerous X-GM's and HC's who wasted 1st round picks on fatass Oline instead of impact players? Just saying...

Last edited:
Chase Young, DE/Edge
Isaiah Simmons, LB
Jeff Okudah, CB
Derrick Brown, DT
CeeDee Lamb, WR
Jerry Jeudy, WR
Javon Kinlaw, DT

Simmons is the only guy I can really wrap my head around. With respect to the players on the list, who are all fucking talented, I just don't see them being our selection so early. With Odell and Landry, those receivers don't make sense. With Ogunjobi and Richardson, the DTs don't make sense. At those positions, I would expect development players later.

And while you mention possibly trading away those guys to make room, I think Berry learned last time that you can't flush youth in to a roster without the corresponding detriment of inexperience. I think that's one of the reasons he was so heavy-handed in free agency with experienced players.

Simmons would be plug and play from day one. The other guys wouldn't be the same unless you're benching someone or shipping them off.

I think 10 (or lower) is either tackle or Simmons. For anything else, I'd suggest a drop back. We've got some really nice options. The receivers are expected to fly off the board after our selection - Jets, Raiders, 49ers and Broncos could all be a WR desitination, and may be interested in jumping up a few spots to get their guy.

As for who we'd target, I have no fucking idea. Daniel Jeremiah recently tweeted Isaiah Wilson, the RT opposite Andrew Thomas, is going to be drafted in the first round, per two GMs. Matt Miller said CJ Henderson is graded higher than Jeff Okudah by some teams and will be selected top 16. One of them also tweeted scouts are all over the place regarding WR and CB after the first few guys, some may be extremely high on the board for one team but very low for another - an unusual level beyond the standard level of difference.

Jeremiah also said he thinks Willie Gay Jr could be a very early second round selection despite a lot of people having him in the 3rd or 4th round. Who knows what is going to happen. Guys like Patrick Queen, Grant Delpit, A.J Epenesa, etc, could all be options to be drafted sooner than expected.

But, it's unlikely.

I know it's the non-tackle thread, but you also can't factor in a non-tackle selection without considering how we will address the biggest hole on the team - it is not only an important position, but the roster is empty at the position. I think that calls for a little more action than crossing your fingers and hoping someone falls to 42. If we're trading down, I'd hope it would only be a few spots and then still aim for a tackle.

We didn't wait this long for a fucking quarterback to then just decide not to block for him so we could take a fucking defensive tackle or a depth WR at 10.

Its entirely likely a team will make a fair deal to land the WR of their choice at 10.
Hopefully PHILLY wants to jump up for a nice lil package. A number of teams crave Ruggs badly cuz of the problems he poses D’s. DENVER may wanna trade from 15 to 10. I’d definitely like to pick up another 2nd or 3rd Rounder.... or another #1 for 2021 would be so sweet! We could work that on PHILLY.... or if NYJ wanted 10 &11.... sign me up for NYJ’s #1 in 2021... ya know?!!! Top 5 prolly!!!

If Andrew Thomas is gone we should TRADE DOWN. None of the other Top 4 Tackles are easy LT starts in 2020. And Josh Jones should not be taken at 10 but Traded Down for if he’s a target.

GO FUCK YOURSELF,
just sayin

Ahh yes, more low brow, low IQ bullshit from a guy who has never contributed anything worthwhile to.. Well, anything in their lives much less this forum.

Undderstandable, you can't debate facts or reality because you have no fucking clue what you are even talking about so you lash out like the moron that you are. Stay triggered, Philly ghettotrash.

Interesting take on the mock from CBS

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...-trades-for-qbs-browns-move-up-inside-top-10/

PICK #7

Isaiah Simmons LB
Clemson • Jr • 6'4" / 238 lbs
Projected Team
Cleveland
PROSPECT RNK
3rd
POSITION RNK
1st

Browns acquire No. 7 from Panthers for No. 10, No. 74, 2021 seventh. Andrew Berry makes like old boss Howie Roseman in his first year fully in charge, taking a big swing for a play-maker. A tackle makes all the sense in the world for Cleveland, but Simmons is a bona fide star-in-the-making who fills not one but two needs (LB, S) for the Browns' defense.

If the Browns drafted something other than the LT at 10, I'd assume they're trading for Williams. Certainly nobody's gonna feel safe with the day one starting LT we'd get at 41, Cleveland would likely be gone.

I suppose a dramatic trade-up from 41 is possible. Feels like a plan G though.

1st...why not be comfortable? Again, we have no idea how the guy fits, how fast he can learn, and how the coaches feel about the guy. As for Cleveland being gone at 41...maybe. If the LT 'run' doesn't happen until the teens, you may even be able to get Jones in the 20's...and I have seen that mocked more than once.

There are 7 non-LT elite players, plus 3-4 QB's that could take up most of the top 10...if that happens, the LT candidates may actually suffer from the fact there are too many this year.

The Browns will not be taking a Post Truth "who really knows?" approach to targeting their starting left tackle, folks. It's the kind of position you address with laser focus. You go into a lush tackle draft like this: "Who's the absolute best guy for our system? Him? Let's go get him."

You prioritize it much closer to QB than RB or OBLB. You don't dream of getting Mr. Second Most Right.

Related: Schrager listed Andrew Thomas as one of two players getting increased "top 10 heat." Got a lot of funny responses from draftnicks who've known all along he's the top LT in an excellent LT draft.

I feel 100% convinced that the Browns discussion on Thomas isn't whether they want him, it's an ideal love match... it's whether he'll be there. It also feels less and less likely that the Browns would pass on any of five LTs at 10: Thomas, Wirfs, Wills, Becton, or Jones.

The latter could be had in a trade-down, but it's a one-target trade-down and those are perilous. Would they trade down to 15 and take Cleveland if Jones is swiped? Why put yourself in that position at all?

It's so unlikely that the Browns will step up at 10 and those top four will all be gone, though. And I don't see them passing on any of them.

Funny how your favorite statement of "Many roads to Mecca" only applies when someone else is saying "my way or the highway".

Nobody is saying the Browns will just take a guy to take him. They (and I) are saying that FIT is far more important than Draftnick Love. Jones/Jackson (and to a lesser degree Cleveland) 'seem' to be better scheme fits for the Browns...and if they Browns see it that way, then LT is likely off the board at 10. Thomas, again, has balance issues on the move...something you desperately NEED in the WZB scheme. Maybe the Browns feel they can correct it...if so, he may be the choice. But it is a concern.

Again, OBLB is a made up position. Doesn't exist. And pigeon holing Simmons into that made up position does not change the guy is a game changer...and anybody worth their salt knows it.

Glad you are convinced the Browns love Thomas. I am not nearly as certain...because if they were they would GO GET HIM and not waste time on 8 other LT's. That goes for your last line as well. Why look at 9 if you are GOING TO TAKE ONE at 10...where you will get the 4 best at worst.

I honestly think that they need to think long and hard about going the Williams route. The lack of offseason reps for the OL could be offset by Williams and his previous experience with Callahan. No rookie OL can offset that.

I said before whoever the OLineman is that Callahan should have a huge voice in that decision. He knows T Williams as well as anybody in the league and at this point I'm pretty sure he has had multiple conversations with Conklin specifically if he's willing to play LT if needed.

Top Bottom