Obj 2020 | Page 6 | Barking Hard

Obj 2020

Agree to disagree. Any system is a framework, a philosophy to tweak and build around, and this particular architecture is a prize winner for sure, at least in my book. It's held up. And it does pretty consistently NOT load a ton of looks at one target.

That's all I'm sayin'. If you're a WR who has an issue with that? You're gonna have an issue with that.

The rumor of MIN is far fetched anyway. MIN currently wouldn't have the cap space for OBJ.

I certainly don't buy the vehement denial by the Browns about the possibility of trading OBJ (NYG said that about OBJ, and MIN about Diggs).

Grey, I agree that if a "system" cannot successfully make use of a talent of OBJs caliber it's a shitty system. Though to me the "system" is the coach.

I'm currently watching Colin Cowherd ramble on about Odell being traded and the Browns being trash.

When the 2nd and 5th rumour first circulated, Colin doubled down on Twitter and said it was real. Right around the time guys like Schefter, Rap and Robinson all said they had exhaused their sources who all confirmed no such discussions had taken place and Odell is not available.

I shouldn't give him the hits, but watching Colin pretend a story is legitimate and try to legtimise it is something that just makes me feel wonderful. He so wants this to be a thing. He so wants the Browns to fail. He so wants Odell to not work out in Cleveland.

Poor guy. Someone from Cleveland fucked his wife or something. Which one of ya'll was it? Rumour has it his loveeeeeely daughter added to the body count of JR Swish.

Though to me the "system" is the coach.
That's the rub and I agree.

Remember, Belichick was, what, 12 years into his head coaching career and had already won super bowls by the time New England completely changed offensive football in 2007 with Moss and Welker soaking up over half of Brady's targets in that epic offensive season.

Stefanksi is as green as they come and would seem much lore apt to lean on the "system" he's learned (Shep's point) and not have the creativity, confidence, and experience to innovate. Again, that's a failure of the coach as no system is truly plug and play.

Can't drop this. :)

Imagine using this supposed system that spreads the ball around no matter the opportunities/consequences. The '07 Pats (and of course there are a ton of other examples) targeted Moss 160 times (10x a game basically). His completion ratio was 61% which was well below Brady's completion percentage to all other receivers (71.8%).

But they still kept going to Moss, more than any other receiver, because... well because Moss was an elite receiver. He was an elite receiver who many had thought was past his prime having toiled to two subpar seasons in Oakland prior to '07.

No, Brady kept throwing to him for very simple football reasons: He was a fantastically gifted receiver who could create chunk plays at a high rate.

Oh, and that crazy passing unit still managed to run the ball quite a bit and effectively.

I just hate the notion of not having a coaching staff capable of taking advantage of the weapons we have. There's just no excuse for a "system" to get in the way. Makes no sense to me.

I'm currently watching Colin Cowherd ramble on about Odell being traded and the Browns being trash.

When the 2nd and 5th rumour first circulated, Colin doubled down on Twitter and said it was real. Right around the time guys like Schefter, Rap and Robinson all said they had exhaused their sources who all confirmed no such discussions had taken place and Odell is not available.

I shouldn't give him the hits, but watching Colin pretend a story is legitimate and try to legtimise it is something that just makes me feel wonderful. He so wants this to be a thing. He so wants the Browns to fail. He so wants Odell to not work out in Cleveland.

Poor guy. Someone from Cleveland fucked his wife or something. Which one of ya'll was it? Rumour has it his loveeeeeely daughter added to the body count of JR Swish.

View attachment 1794

Interesting follow from our QB...

The system, passed down from Shanahan,

Incorrect as usual. Stefanski has never worked with Mike Shanahan. Not one single day in his career. He spent a year fetching coffee for Gary Kubiak. That doesn't make him a Shanahan disciple, especially when his foundation is Childress schooling him in the Andy Reid Offense.

Incorrect as usual. Stefanski has never worked with Mike Shanahan. Not one single day in his career. He spent a year fetching coffee for Gary Kubiak. That doesn't make him a Shanahan disciple, especially when his foundation is Childress schooling him in the Andy Reid Offense.

Well, I don't think I would have much of a problem with either a Shanahan or Reid offense. What I didn't for sure want was another year of a Kitchens offense.

Stefanski
Is totally a guy who should be able to dial up the O to meet the degree of talent.
Stefanski is a very fluid, flexible thinker. That and leadership is why Berry and DePodesta loved the guy in the first play.
Stefanski has a real shot to prove in CLE he is an offensive genius.

Here’s to that happening
And CLE having a brand like
Walsh’s Niners, Carroll’s Seahawks, Martz’ Rams. It can & should happen.

I dont believe for a minute
OBJ is going anywhere in 2020
before the deadline
If we’re disappointing and OBJ is seen as a cancer then I can see him being offloaded mid-season, possibly.
I do think CLE would like to keep him at least for the Draft compensation via FA... but if they trade him mid-season for a first or 2nd rounder.... THAT’s BETTER!

And what’s this bull about OBJ 5/10???
He is easily TOP 5 when healthy.
Probably Top 3.
Knock off the Top 10....

Stefanski
Is totally a guy who should be able to dial up the O to meet the degree of talent.
Stefanski is a very fluid, flexible thinker. That and leadership is why Berry and DePodesta loved the guy in the first play.
Stefanski has a real shot to prove in CLE he is an offensive genius.

Here’s to that happening
And CLE having a brand like
Walsh’s Niners, Carroll’s Seahawks, Martz’ Rams. It can & should happen.

I dont believe for a minute
OBJ is going anywhere in 2020
before the deadline
If we’re disappointing and OBJ is seen as a cancer then I can see him being offloaded mid-season, possibly.
I do think CLE would like to keep him at least for the Draft compensation via FA... but if they trade him mid-season for a first or 2nd rounder.... THAT’s BETTER!

And what’s this bull about OBJ 5/10???
He is easily TOP 5 when healthy.
Probably Top 3.
Knock off the Top 10....

I violently oppose even thinking about trading OBJ. Ever!

Jarvis and Odell are going to be so amazing and inspiring for DPJ

Cant wait to see P-Jones hammin’ it up practicing one handers w/ confidence along with those two.

P-Jones should be able to have a lot of fun this year in CLE and really really enjoy his football, which he struggled with via all the expectations & weight of disappointment the past couple years at Michigan.

I wanna see Donovan free out there & livin’ it up w/ Odell & Jarvis.
They’ll inspire Donovan to become a professional route-runner,
And I think Landry takes a particular interest in developing Donovan.

FUTURE is bright.
I think w/ DPJ we probably checked a box of picking up a top-2 WR for the future.
SO GOOD- just would need one more high level WR then when Odell leaves to remain a top SuperBowl favorite during our young core’s Prime years.

Needing ONE is soooo much more manageable than likely being set back 2 seasons in our SB Window, needing 2 good WR.

What are the chances OBJ has a career year in 2020 or 2021???

I think chances are high.
Odell should have 14-1500 and 12-15 TD’s if he’s healthy.

It was really encouraging
Seeing ALL the amazing success
Undrafted Adam Thielen had for a couple years under Stefanski.

I mean- he put up Odell type #’s in 2018- was unstoppable!!!!

And Thielen had a big breaking out in 2017 and produced well in the half-season he was able to participate in 2019.

WOULD be pretty amazing if big Adam Thielen came over when his contract’s up to be Baker’s Big Man, reunite with K-Stef!

I think Adam would only be 28 by then, if I’m not mistaken. Isnt he 26 right now?!

Nevermind.
Thielen is 29 now
And signed thru 2025
At $14-16m per.
Not happening.

We’ll find Bake
Another Big Man.

GOLLIDAY would be interesting....
I think he hits FA after 2020.

I couldn't possibly have fewer reservations about Baker Mayfield. Zero doubts. Receivers are gonna put up numbers because he's good... and they're the dependent ones. He can be a receiver maker soon, like Brees and Manning and the like.

I mean... Austin Pettis.

I’d like to amend the OBJ 12-15 TDs comment. Last season top TD receivers were Golliday with 11 and 2-3 others with 10.
Clearly the ball is getting spread around!

So to say 12-15 TDs if Odell stays healthy was cleary ahead of myself. Odell wont be targeted like Bananas as he was as a NYG, when he’d score 8-12 TDs/ season.

Clearly, we should stick with that likely 8-12 range for 2020 OBJ TDs.
But 14-1500+ yards is more likely than 1100 or less!

It's just not a heavy-target offense as run thus far. Nobody seems to get mega focused on one guy and Diggs just couldn't bear it.

I think OBJ is a really good dude, I truly do. Community guy, teammates dig him... he's not a douche nozzle or anything. But I do think he wants the rock, comes with being a #1.

Diggs went from 149 targets in 2018 to 94 in 2019; receptions from 102 to 63.

Yards and yards per? Well, another story. 1021 to 1130 and 10.0 to 17.9.

If OBJ gets 1100 yards receiving and we're in the playoffs, no one will hear a single peep. I think, if healthy, that's his floor. He is simply going to feast upon the matchups that this offense will create combined with the attention that must be paid to Landry and our TEs/RBs.

You also have a QB in Mayfield who absolutely WANTS to torch defenses. So, if OBJ is in man coverage and the safety even takes his eye off OBJ for one second, the ball's coming to him. Could be a really big year since the reason top tier number one's want the ball is because they're good. ;)

Top Bottom