Pick 91 ... Anthony Schwartz, WR, Auburn | Barking Hard

Pick 91 ... Anthony Schwartz, WR, Auburn

I was pulling for Tylan Wallace, but in retrospect, think Schwartz is a much better fit for our team. Wallace would have made Higgins expendable - basically a faster version of Higgs. But Schwartz doesn't necessarily take reps away from any one person - he fits a role/type that otherwise would have been absent on our team. Our WR room just became one of the most well-rounded, in addition to (already being) one of the most talented.

Typical Browns good luck: a WR happy draft when you are already loaded at the position... ;)
Seriously speaking, I did not fancy the idea of drafting a WR so high but, since we did, I'm happy the guy has those speed skills. I read he does not have the best of hands and this makes it a little bit of a risk because, unless Baker is able to further increase his accuracy (which he should), our receivers need to be very good in contesting the 50/50 balls. But KS has a big enough bag of tricks to pull out something for this kid too. We'll see.
Grade: B- (with the hope to be proven very wrong).

Typical Browns good luck: a WR happy draft when you are already loaded at the position... ;)
Seriously speaking, I did not fancy the idea of drafting a WR so high but, since we did, I'm happy the guy has those speed skills. I read he does not have the best of hands and this makes it a little bit of a risk because, unless Baker is able to further increase his accuracy (which he should), our receivers need to be very good in contesting the 50/50 balls. But KS has a big enough bag of tricks to pull out something for this kid too. We'll see.
Grade: B- (with the hope to be proven very wrong).
Third round picks usually have some sort of flaw and a WR with suspect hands is probably why he wasn't rated higher. Good news is they can always use him in the backfield on sweeps and reverses.

I could Baker pitching him the ball and he runs right and pitches it to Jarvis who throws a TD pass to OBJ, Higgins or whoever.

I just watched a few highlights. I never even heard of Schwartz. But I can say emphatically, Bo knows Schwartz! If I were a starting WR for the Browns? I’d be very worried about job security. And if I were a member of any of the AFCN teams? I’d be very worried when this cat is on the field.

The comp? Taylor Gabriel, but more.

Gabriel was 4.28 forty UDFA minicamp tryout, who's speed allowed him to make the roster, and went for 600+ receiving yards in his first year.

I think we got us a steal!... I don't know where the knock on his pass catching came from.. But according to this video... We got ourselves a player!..

He learned a limited to almost no route tree in the Malzahn offense. It's alarming how poorly Malzahn's system is at developing WR's. He was used in basically nothing but gadget plays and not utilized like he should have been. He is basically starting from scratch with the Browns in terms of learning to be a WR.

I think we got us a steal!... I don't know where the knock on his pass catching came from.. But according to this video... We got ourselves a player!..

i watched some tape on him i actually like how he catches the ball. he is a hands catcher not a body catcher at all. side note he looks like Mike Wallace when he runs

As far as his production not being great. i watched all his snaps against SC man the routes he was asked to run and the Qb's terrible accuracy i think he had 3 INT in the game. IMO thats why he didnt have more production.

still a project it will be interesting to see how he looks after a full season of development in an NFL program

tidbits ...
  • Wells (House of Athlete), who’s trained some of the fastest athletes in the NFL, described Schwartz’s speed as “phenomenal.”
  • Set a world youth record with a 10.15 for the 100 meters in the 2017 Florida Relays
  • 2018 Gatorade national boys’ track and field athlete of the year
  • Silver medal in 100 at the under-20 world championships IAFF in Finland in July 2018
  • Gold medal in 4x100 relay at the under-20 world championships IAFF in Finland in July 2018

I saw some of his highlights and almost all of them were of him getting the ball on a short route, WR screen or end around/sweep type of stuff.

If he can learn how to create space while running good routes downfield he'll be be a "phenomenal" WR for years to come. And if he continues to work with Jarvis he should know the routes Stefanski runs and execute them easily.

Last edited:
It does seem at this point the FO over drafted him. He likely would've been available in the 5th round I'm guessing. I always hold out hope for the kid, but Ja'Marcus Bradley is a better WR right now. He at least can catch the damn ball, most of the time.

Top Bottom