Sandy Alomar Jr. glad to be back with the Tribe. | Barking Hard

Sandy Alomar Jr. glad to be back with the Tribe.

Awards
Sandy Alomar Jr. is Glad to be Back with Indians
November 18, 2009 By: Scott Category: Cleveland Indians

By now, Tribe fans are likely aware that former All-Star catcher Sandy Alomar Jr. has been named to the Indians coaching staff as a first base coach. It was only a few months ago when Alomar was inducted into the Indians Hall of Fame. It was at this time that the ex-catcher was spending time with the New York Mets.

In fact, up until this past week, it was widely thought that Mets general manager Omar Minaya would not be letting Sandy look for a position elsewhere in the bigs as he had spent two years in New York.

In today’s conference call, Alomar stated that he was a bit surprised as to how quickly things unfolded and he became a member of the Tribe’s staff in about a weeks time.

When discussing the opportunity with Minaya, Alomar stated that he focused much of his side on the fact that he would love to go back to a team which he played for in the past while getting to work with young catchers. With Victor Martinez being traded to Boston this past season, the Indians are looking at the possibility of starting the recently acquired Lou Marson behind the plate. The other catcher that Alomar could be referring to is the organization’s top prospect, Carlos Santana.

Asked about his influences when he was coming through the bigs, Alomar referenced former bullpen coach Luis Isaac as well as Joel Skinner and Pat Borders. Fans will recall that Isaac was relieved of his duties one year ago after spending 13 seasons with the team. Some attribute his firing to the poor relief performance of 2009 as well as the perceived disconnect between then manager Eric Wedge and some of the hispanic players.

Given the Tribe’s struggles over the last year-plus, Alomar was asked if he would consider suiting up behind the plate if needed. After a laugh, Alomar claimed that he would do whatever the team asked of him.

“I lost a lot of weight,” claimed Alomar when asked if his old jersey still fits.

There is no denying that this Indians team as currently constructed has very little that resonates with the fan base as it did in the 1990s or even the recent seasons with CC Sabathia, Cliff Lee and Victor Martinez. Many continue to cling to the glory days of sold out crowds and 100-win seasons, so Alomar returning to the Indians in some form is undoubtedly received with open arms.

Link to article: Sandy Alomar Jr. is Glad to be Back with Indians | WaitingForNextYear

Glad to see that Sandy has made it back to the Indians, he was one of my alltime favorite Indians.
Maybe he can suit up and catch next year, he can't do any worse than Shoppach behind the plate.

Damn, this section of the board has *crickets* in it all the time. That is the only thing I miss from the BB, good talk about the Indians. It seems there are not that many Tribe fans on here, they seemed to have stayed at the other board. (eg. Beanpot, CIMO. etc)

Oh well, I can have conversations with myself about the Tribe.:)

BTW:To answer your post SoCal, yes it is great that Sandy is back. Hopefully he can teach some of the young guys how to be a winner and be leaders.

Ah, we're everywhere Dana! I'm kinda liking the Alomar hire. The fact that the Mets wanted to retain him and that our organization is filled with young guys who play his old position = little chance of bad things happening.

Right?

As far as fan interest goes, he may well be our most significant signing when it comes to the gate this off-season.

Beanpot

Glad to see you posting here Todd.:)

I'm looking forward to seeing Sandy mentor Carlos Santana, he should be able to hopefully make him a really good catcher.

I think you may be right about Alomar being the Marquee signing this offseason, I'm not expecting the Tribe to add much this year.:(

guys, I would love to add to the conversation, but to be honest I get ZERO information on the Indians down here in FLA. All they ever talk about down here is Yankees, Redsox and Dodgers...and occasionally they mention one of the Florida teams. It is downright depressing.

Anyway, I am kinda glad to see Alomar back, but I keep seeing this kind of feel-good story in the Browns (Kosar, Brown, etc) and it always adds up to feeling BAD during the season....so I am going to keep my conclusions in check until I see something positive on the field.

For starters, I've never been a big baseball fan.
I tried, I really did.
It just could never hold my interest.
I think it's because baseball isn't a real team sport.
If you stop and think about it, it's a one on one confrontation between the pitcher and batter with 8 other guys out there just in case the pitcher screws up.
It's not 11 guys on each side clicking on all cylinders, working in perfect harmony to to put points on the board.
I find it dull.
Now I'm not knocking baseball, but it's just not my cup of tea. If anyone here really loves baseball, then no offense, I'm happy for you.
Add in the fact it feels like the Indians have been a major league farm team for what seems forever and it makes watching the Tribe unbearable for me. Hell, even when they were good that slow pace baseball is played put me to sleep.

So forgive me if I only dip in the Tribe forums from time to time and I spend most of my time in the football section, that is where my heart lies.

But, in my heart I always wish the Indians the best. I would never cheer for another team even if someday I fell for the game.

sandy was my favorite player until he left man!! This is awesome!!! Now all we need is Robbie and omar back here as coaches

Top Bottom