Season Predictions... | Page 4 | Barking Hard

Season Predictions...

Having your qb tear his shoulder labrum is going to cost you.
Tore mine in 2006, fucker still hurts.
StyleDude, here is the problem with your line of thinking.

If indeed his shoulder was a problem, it was mismanagement for the Browns to let him play. There is no room for debate or excuse on this issue. If the organization considers Mayfield to be our franchise QB then they should have protected him. Am I to believe that the outcome of a single season was more important than keeping what we believe is our QB of the future healthy for years to come?

Secondly, if Case Keenum is not good enough to carry the torch while Baker is hurt and/or having surgery, why is he on our team? If he is not good enough to get us through tough times, shouldn't the person who signed him be fired?

Here is what I think demonstrates that the entire organization needs to be fired. If Mayfield was pulled 8 - 10 weeks ago, rested and sent for surgery, he most likely would have been healed by the time the playoffs started, and certainly he would be healed and trained and ready for training camp. Letting Keenum play MIGHT have allowed us to win a couple more and get into the playoffs.

Now, perhaps Keenum would not have got us into the playoffs, but we are not in the playoffs any way. However, playing Keenum wold have allowed Baker to get healthy, it would have prevented this internal implosions with Landry, Beckam and Hunt. It would have settled the media, it would have maintained Baker's market value, and it would have given the players, coaches, fans and media that the Browns are looking at the long term solidity of building a franchise, instead of haphazardly truing to wind individual games.

Sorry, but this organization could not have mismanaged this any more poorly.

StyleDude, here is the problem with your line of thinking.

If indeed his shoulder was a problem, it was mismanagement for the Browns to let him play. There is no room for debate or excuse on this issue. If the organization considers Mayfield to be our franchise QB then they should have protected him. Am I to believe that the outcome of a single season was more important than keeping what we believe is our QB of the future healthy for years to come?

Secondly, if Case Keenum is not good enough to carry the torch while Baker is hurt and/or having surgery, why is he on our team? If he is not good enough to get us through tough times, shouldn't the person who signed him be fired?

Here is what I think demonstrates that the entire organization needs to be fired. If Mayfield was pulled 8 - 10 weeks ago, rested and sent for surgery, he most likely would have been healed by the time the playoffs started, and certainly he would be healed and trained and ready for training camp. Letting Keenum play MIGHT have allowed us to win a couple more and get into the playoffs.

Now, perhaps Keenum would not have got us into the playoffs, but we are not in the playoffs any way. However, playing Keenum wold have allowed Baker to get healthy, it would have prevented this internal implosions with Landry, Beckam and Hunt. It would have settled the media, it would have maintained Baker's market value, and it would have given the players, coaches, fans and media that the Browns are looking at the long term solidity of building a franchise, instead of haphazardly truing to wind individual games.

Sorry, but this organization could not have mismanaged this any more poorly.
What is my line of thinking then?
You perfectly explained how having an injured QB can mess up your season - which is what you replied to.

I think you're right. He tore it in week 2. They gambled that he would be able to play well with a bum shoulder. He couldn't. I think the players saw that Mayfield and the staff were stubbornly still trotting him out, and they knew it was a lost season.
That's pretty dumb stuff. He re-injured it against the Cardinals... that should've been enough signal to get it done right away.

Recovery takes 6 to 8 weeks to heal, but another 6 to 8 to become strong enough to take NFL style hits. One setback (like, landing on it when sacked) will set you back to square one.
If he had surgery right after (say week 2) I don't think he would be able to play football for a minimum of 12 weeks. So he'd be back for week 14/15. Earliest. Rusty.

But, that's with the power of hindsight. And you know that Captain Hindsight is always right.

208dde49dbb983baf262b498b8fcebcc.png

So now stating common sense and solutions is "looking in hindsight." Nah, no dice. Your starting QB blows out his shoulder you send him in for surgery. You have a top 5 Defense and a top 5 run game, you maximize those while he is out. No hindsight needed, just following what works in the NFL and what Championship coaches do.

I gotta say, the twisting and turning and spinning to absolve The Laptop and his two equally inempt puppets of any responsibility whatsoever is at least worth a chuckle in between the eye rolls.

What is my line of thinking then?
You perfectly explained how having an injured QB can mess up your season - which is what you replied to.

I think you're right. He tore it in week 2. They gambled that he would be able to play well with a bum shoulder. He couldn't. I think the players saw that Mayfield and the staff were stubbornly still trotting him out, and they knew it was a lost season.
That's pretty dumb stuff. He re-injured it against the Cardinals... that should've been enough signal to get it done right away.

Recovery takes 6 to 8 weeks to heal, but another 6 to 8 to become strong enough to take NFL style hits. One setback (like, landing on it when sacked) will set you back to square one.
If he had surgery right after (say week 2) I don't think he would be able to play football for a minimum of 12 weeks. So he'd be back for week 14/15. Earliest. Rusty.

But, that's with the power of hindsight. And you know that Captain Hindsight is always right.

208dde49dbb983baf262b498b8fcebcc.png

I agree completely. I just don't think the Browns, or Baker Mayfield, were willing to admit that the season was over after just five quarters of ball. That's so unbelievably hard to swallow. It is an injury he could, and did, play through. It's just one he shouldn't have because he was obviously unable to play at the appropriate level.

I don't think we had enough confidence in Keenum to salvage the season enough for Mayfield to return and still be in playoff contention. I somewhat agree with Minny (Why have him if we don't trust him to carry the torch?) but back-up quarterbacks are great for a week or two - not for the whole year. Nobody, really, has that.

In hindsight, Mayfield should have just gone on IR. But I admire his competitiveness to play hurt, and understand why the Browns allowed it. Actually, the fact he played suggests the whole "Browns want to move on" narrative might be BS. There is no way they leave him out there if they aren't that high on him in the first place. Stefanski knows Keenum, has spent plenty of time with him, and he trusted a banged-up Baker more - evidently.

you guys are thinking baker could be back in 6 weeks. :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:
that is the funniest sh&t Ive heard since AB smuggled that toilet seat licking bi^ch into his hotel room.
its 4-6 month recovery on this surgery.all going well he might make training camp.
guys its a fu&king surgery,hes not hungover. LMFAO!

you guys are thinking baker could be back in 6 weeks. :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:
that is the funniest sh&t Ive heard since AB smuggled that toilet seat licking bi^ch into his hotel room.
its 4-6 month recovery on this surgery.all going well he might make training camp.
guys its a fu&king surgery,hes not hungover. LMFAO!
If is a much shorter recovery period being that this is not his active side. He will be fine by he time training camp starts.

4-6 months recovery time. If you trotted him out there after 12 weeks? he'd be straight back for another surgery.
after 6 months he wont be 100%. It will still pinch a little.
I said 12 weeks minimum to bring him back and I added it would be dangerous to take hits and that he would be rusty (because during recovery you can hardly throw or work out).
But we are talking nfl athletes, they are well conditioned and have all the time and resources to do their recovery well, so it will be typically on the lower end of the estimation.

I got my information from various sources and experience of dealing with this injury, but if you are interested, this is a good read:

I wonder where you got your 4-6 months from.
Of course, some people take longer to recover. We are all different and every tear and surgery is different.

I wonder where you got your 4-6 months from.
from every report on the injury Ive seen or read about. I didnt make it up paco. Its all over sports media as 4-6 months
no lie 1st website I found searching for "labrum tear recovery" (I didnt want to post the sports media saying it.not doctors afterall)
There are no fixed rules for return to work. What I have described above are reasonable guidelines that I hope will help you and your employer ease your return to the workplace. Full recovery takes about 6 to 9 months.
What to Expect After Your Shoulder Arthroscopy and Labral Repair
oh snap.Its the same site you have! you should have read it?
besides you're basing the time on a perfect scenario.well,life aint perfect.did you see his shoulder get bounced off the ground by TJ?
so this isn't your average tear either.Its a worst case scenario tear I'd bet and his full recovery is going to take the entire offseason.
Id be surprised If he is fully recovered 100% cant feel a thing in camp.really surprised.
hes also going to get out of shape.training will be difficult and his arm/shoulder muscle mass and strength will inevitably decline.
these things just add to the recovery time even for a pro athlete

Last edited:
Top Bottom