Shoppach traded to Rays | Barking Hard

Shoppach traded to Rays

Awards
Indians trade Shoppach to Rays

CLEVELAND (AP)—The Cleveland Indians have traded catcher Kelly Shoppach(notes) to the Tampa Bay Rays for a player to be determined.

After Shoppach filled in for an injured Victor Martinez(notes) and led American League catchers with 21 homers in 2008, the Indians were expecting big things from him last season. However, he batted just .214 with 12 homers and 40 RBIs in 89 games. He struck out 89 times in 271 at-bats.

Shoppach’s departure could make Lou Marson(notes), acquired in the deal that sent pitcher Cliff Lee(notes) to Philadelphia, Cleveland’s starter behind the plate. It will also give highly touted prospect Carlos Santana a chance of making the Indians roster.

The Indians will complete the trade with Tampa Bay before Dec. 20.

Shoppach spent four seasons with Cleveland. He was acquired in a 2006 trade with Boston.

Sounds like Santana will be given a shot next year.

Yeah, it's hardly a surprise he was moved. More than anything, I'm thrilled we got something for him given his situation.

Not sure at all I understand what grimmreaper3 is bitching about.

His arbitration status is no longer a concern. Couple that with compensation and positional strength and I'm at a loss why anyone could possibly look at this move and say "WTF".

Beanpot

Yeah, it's hardly a surprise he was moved. More than anything, I'm thrilled we got something for him given his situation.

Not sure at all I understand what grimmreaper3 is bitching about.

His arbitration status is no longer a concern. Couple that with compensation and positional strength and I'm at a loss why anyone could possibly look at this move and say "WTF".

Beanpot

So what is the deal here everyone?????? I am so pissed at the Indians for giving it all away when they were just some years ago top notch. I tend to blame it on Dolan

So back to reality, whom is the catcher and why..........among ten other mysterieskissmyarse

So what is the deal here everyone?????? I am so pissed at the Indians for giving it all away when they were just some years ago top notch. I tend to blame it on Dolan

So back to reality, whom is the catcher and why..........among ten other mysterieskissmyarse

Rich, try to follow along here pal. The Indians catcher of the future is Carlos Santana, I believe he was named AA Eastern League player of the year, and was also named the Indians top prospect by Baseball America for 2009.
If he continues to improve the way he has been playing lately, he should turn into quite a great catcher. Shoppach won't be missed, IMHO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom