THE 2021 NFL SEASON IS OFFICIALLY OVER FOR THE CLEVELAND BROWNS.thoughts? | Page 2 | Barking Hard

THE 2021 NFL SEASON IS OFFICIALLY OVER FOR THE CLEVELAND BROWNS.thoughts?

I cant get on board with the injury excuse. I blame it on poor execution and poor playcalling. There were games in which we had the lead and Stefanskis playcalling turned into "playing not to lose". And they turned around and lost. We all heard Mayfield elude to that a time or 2. Thats not to excuse Mayfields poor play either......

To each his own, but I just don't think that many injuries is an excuse. I don't see how an injured quarterback, tackles, running back and wide receivers doesn't impact the play of the offense. That's a lot of vital players injured.

Kevin Stefanski said at his press conference that the team will look at what can be done better next year. What interested me was he mentioned scheme evaluation at a number of points. When asked about things getting stale, he said the team would be studying other schemes, meeting with other coaches, even studying college tape to figure out what could translate to our strengths, and would look at our own scheme to see what we didn't do well.

I liked hearing that, and his willingness to rip out the pages and start fresh with a new approach. I agree it needs to be done, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

I'm glad we're keeping him around. I don't think he's a bad coach, and I'm confident he can take positive strides himself. After all, he is only a young coach.

Worth noting, too - our receivers were not great as it was. We need help there, and I won't be surprised if we see some changes coming.

To each his own, but I just don't think that many injuries is an excuse. I don't see how an injured quarterback, tackles, running back and wide receivers doesn't impact the play of the offense. That's a lot of vital players injured.

Kevin Stefanski said at his press conference that the team will look at what can be done better next year. What interested me was he mentioned scheme evaluation at a number of points. When asked about things getting stale, he said the team would be studying other schemes, meeting with other coaches, even studying college tape to figure out what could translate to our strengths, and would look at our own scheme to see what we didn't do well.

I liked hearing that, and his willingness to rip out the pages and start fresh with a new approach. I agree it needs to be done, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

I'm glad we're keeping him around. I don't think he's a bad coach, and I'm confident he can take positive strides himself. After all, he is only a young coach.

Worth noting, too - our receivers were not great as it was. We need help there, and I won't be surprised if we see some changes coming.
Are you suggesting you can teach an old dawg new tricks? The old dawg being Stefanski.......

Maybe we'll get a couple of Pitchers and a Catcher to be named later...
He's actually revolutionizing the NFL game by introducing the "Relief QB" to the sport starting next year. Mayfield is only going to play 2.5 quarters per game then some UDFA caliber QB of The Laptops choosing in the 2nd round will play the remaining 1.5 quarters. The analytics say if Baker only plays 2.5 quarters each game they can decrease the pay on his contract by 25% and by taking a QB in the 2nd round they can pay him the minimum with an incentive laden deal he can never reach, saving Truckstop Jimmy millions of dollars.

imho
last year proved Stefanski can coach and this team is decent to good.
2021 was a total cluster year, almost like the strike year. guys like Tyler Huntley (Tim Boyle? Ian Book?) starting @ QB for teams.
(I have a memory of some QB who last played for Spurrier in one of the Spring leagues--AAFL?)
no coincidence that so many playoff teams had healthy QBs.
next year will be a better test.

I'll root for the Bengals a bit but will NOT root for Pigsburgh.

fwiw, Cinci hasn't won a playoff game since 1991. Sam Wyche / Boomer Esiason defeated the Houston Oilers of Jack Pardee / Warren Moon.

Cincy's HC got his shit together pretty damn good in his third season after some people said he was going to be fired. As for positives the rookies Newsome and JOK played pretty damn good and will be around for a long time. In Delpit's first season he played well too. Nick Harris filled in at Center very well for JC Tretter. D'Ernest Johnson played well as a spot starting RB and backup Guard Hance played well filling in as our 4th or 5th Tackle. Our third QB Mullens played solid in his start. Our 6th round pick DPJ looks like he can be a 3rd or fourth starting WR.

The thing that held this team back was the offense. Specifically, the passing offense. BM, OBJ quitting on the team, TE Hooper and the rest of the WR's dropped a ton of balls. I heard this AM on 92.3 the Browns were 28 or 29 in dropped balls that were catchable or otherwise on target. Hell Jarvis was dropping balls we've never seen him drop before. The biggest issue was Mayfield and after that 247 video showing BM's piss poor mechanics it's not to crazy to think KS sees that and calls games differently because of it and to avoid Baker's INT's as much as possible. That and he seems to refuse to hit the checkdown. Even when it would be an easy toss to Chubb that would allow him to run downhill into DB's on the edge. (Hopefully DB's and not LB's as much.)

KS needs to do a far better job too. He seemed locked into a few plays that were run over and over and if it's working great. If not get off that shit and move on. And if necessary, change a few that incorporate a completely different philosophy. Maybe add in a few WC style passing concepts or more read options and see if you get positive results. We still have yet to see a silent snap count, hurry up offense/quick snap type of stuff outside of two minute drills. Why not? We can catch a defense in favorable matchups maybe and exploit that for a few first downs.

The other nagging bitch is these fucking Kickers. Now we need a punter too.
P.S. Get Harrison Bryant off the hands team. I'd rather see Braylon Edwards at this point.

imho
last year proved Stefanski can coach and this team is decent to good.
2021 was a total cluster year, almost like the strike year. guys like Tyler Huntley (Tim Boyle? Ian Book?) starting @ QB for teams.
(I have a memory of some QB who last played for Spurrier in one of the Spring leagues--AAFL?)
no coincidence that so many playoff teams had healthy QBs.
next year will be a better test.

I'll root for the Bengals a bit but will NOT root for Pigsburgh.

fwiw, Cinci hasn't won a playoff game since 1991. Sam Wyche / Boomer Esiason defeated the Houston Oilers of Jack Pardee / Warren Moon.
It could just as easily be said last year was a fluke. Either way i think we will see another year. We can assume it will be a prove it year......

I agree. I think we get another year of KS and BM. Berry said in his presser BM works hard and should come back strong. It's possible he doesn't come back if we somehow land a significantly better QB, but I'm guessing they'll draft a guy. To learn for a year and if BM still sucks they'll determine a long term course of action at that time.

Are you suggesting you can teach an old dawg new tricks? The old dawg being Stefanski.......

He's not an old dawg, though. At 39, he is one of the youngest head coaches in the entire league. He's still learning the tricks.

Stefanski isn't some tired old warhorse we're marching out, and that's part of the reason I'm optimistic about him. We have to give him a chance to succeed, and accept that there will be mistakes along the way as he figures things out.

I bark up this tree all the time, but I am so sick of the coaching carousel because we're always convinced someone out there is going to be special. I know we're all disappointed, but this season shouldn't even make our top 20 disappointing seasons. Finishing 8-9, in a division with a 10-7 champ and enduring a vast litany of injuries, is pretty damn good.

Like I said, I understand the disappointment and frustration. But when you get pissed at Stefanski, close your eyes and imagine Hue Jackson and Pat Shurmur. Kevin Stefanski isn't Paul Brown, but he's absolutely deserving of a few years at the helm to see what he can do and what he can be.

He's not an old dawg, though. At 39, he is one of the youngest head coaches in the entire league. He's still learning the tricks.

Stefanski isn't some tired old warhorse we're marching out, and that's part of the reason I'm optimistic about him. We have to give him a chance to succeed, and accept that there will be mistakes along the way as he figures things out.

I bark up this tree all the time, but I am so sick of the coaching carousel because we're always convinced someone out there is going to be special. I know we're all disappointed, but this season shouldn't even make our top 20 disappointing seasons. Finishing 8-9, in a division with a 10-7 champ and enduring a vast litany of injuries, is pretty damn good.

Like I said, I understand the disappointment and frustration. But when you get pissed at Stefanski, close your eyes and imagine Hue Jackson and Pat Shurmur. Kevin Stefanski isn't Paul Brown, but he's absolutely deserving of a few years at the helm to see what he can do and what he can be.
If you are Haslam, how long, or short is Stefanski and or the Laptops leash? Are you giving them 5 years to prove themselves?

Not a fan of Stefanskis offense or his "leadership" style at all. Hope it works out and turns into perennial playoffs and Superbowls, but more likely another waste of years, and this stint all the worse because we have one of the most talented rosters in the league.

No big time QB or WR will want to play in Stefanski's offense, as it neuters them. I get why Baker hates it. Hope to see a major overhaul, but two years in and it doesn't seem like that is going to happen. I'd love to see him fired right now, IF the right guy is brought in to replace him. But that's not going to happen.

Not a fan of Stefanskis offense or his "leadership" style at all. Hope it works out and turns into perennial playoffs and Superbowls, but more likely another waste of years, and this stint all the worse because we have one of the most talented rosters in the league.

No big time QB or WR will want to play in Stefanski's offense, as it neuters them. I get why Baker hates it. Hope to see a major overhaul, but two years in and it doesn't seem like that is going to happen. I'd love to see him fired right now, IF the right guy is brought in to replace him. But that's not going to happen.
Yeah that is the most frustrating part for me. Seeing once in a lifetime talent (for this team) get wasted because of his stubborn belief in his playcalling. I mean seriously, who on this board hasnt been able to call the plays before they break the huddle as others have eluded too......

Except that if this year's play calling by KS was adjusted due to BM's inaccuracy. That would affect play calling.
I'm not buying that. This team had the lead in a handful of games in the second half only to watch the offensive play calling deteriorate in the 2nd half ultimately losing those games because Stefanski stopped doing the things that got them the lead in the first place. He outsmarted himself by overthinking and trying to be cute. It just makes no sense to me that you would stop doing what works unless the other team has made the adjustments that make you counter adjust. Dont think for a minute that Baker doesn't share in the blame either. Injured or not, he cannot read a defense or see the open receivers.

This with those same injured players or backups on the field. How do you suppose they were able to obtain leads with these injured and or backup players? Had they won 2 or 3 of these games, we'd be singing a totally different tune. We wouldn't be making excuses for guys or criticizing them. We'd be talking about a potential Superbowl run.......

Last edited:
Top Bottom