The Coffee Table | Page 3 | Barking Hard

The Coffee Table

Well I was 17 and in my first week of college when 9/11 happened. I remember taking 5 classes that semester initially. What I recall was only 1 out of the 5 teachers I head addressed the issue with the class and offered help for anyone who might have been deeply affected by it. I kinda should known at that point that place just cared less about real world concerns so to speak.

I do recall a sense of patriotism for a while after and people being nicer to each other. But things kinda went back to normal though. And yeah billions and billions of dollars spent on wars. Well in the spirit of what the thread was initially set out for I will not get political!

That's cool you guys seem like gamers. I've always went through life feeling like "the other one" in a lot of regards. When I was a kid I was like the only person without Sega Genesis Nintendo. In middle school Nintendo 64 was huge but I coulda cared less. I've never gotten into Madden, xbox.etc....

But to wrack you guys memories I do recall having that as a kid! Played with it for hours!

I go back as far as pong!
Then atari, Mattel intellivision, dungeons and dragons was a cool game for it.
Nothing else came up on the gaming front until Nintendo I think?
In my teen years during the winter my friends and I would smoke a little sweet
stuff and play the original table top hockey where all the players moved and
spun around and it took four people to play it properly six if we were to high!

D&D!

If there's one thing I miss, it's pen and paper RPG's but damn if it isn't a chore organizing a party of players let alone organizing a weekly game but it's so much fun!

My first console as a kid was a SEGA Genesis but I had friends with an old Atari, we would play pong for hours! Fucking intense lmao screaming matches when someone loses and has to pass off the controller to whoever is waiting for their turn.

When I mentioned Pong what I was referring to was a console game
from Radio Shack that was just a weak version of non stop tennis
in black and white!
Then Atari came out and it was ok and they had a shit ton of titles
but they were all pretty basic.
When intellivision came out out it was the PS four of its day and as I
said D&D was cool as well as the RPG with pen and paper but my favorite
game was Pitfall Harry I was addicted to the original game and Sega came
out with a remake but also included the old version of the game which was
so cool.
The X-Com Apocolypse games I’m sure are around and made by Microprose
It’s sooo cool.
Anything right now to take our minds of what is outside our doors...
Stay safe and be well!

Mr Do

Back in the 80s bought ColecoVision &. Intellivision spent a few hours on them but they quickly bored me. in the shop we had Pacman, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong. would play them a bit but never got Hooked. Then they dropped off Mr Do. let's say
I was Very Intrigued. spending hours after work playing Every minute I could find. got very good at it. one day I came in they took Mr Do away. was kinda happy they did.

A couple years later I seen one for sale in the paper. yea I bought it. a few months later I beat the Machine. I could play it perpetually with more Lives than it could display. I knew it's every move in advance. then it became a dust collector. LOL

Years back I had worked for a company that specialized in servicing arcade/video games in all different venues such as movie theaters, family fun centers, and amusement parks. It kinda wasn't as glamorous as it may sound lol.

I know even 10-15 years ago that was an industry that was kind of struggling overall to stay afloat. I imagine in these times its gotta be ten times as rougher. One investment our company at the time made was really getting into servicing Apple photo booths. You know like you go into a photo booth with your date and the pictures come out. But I'd imagine today selfies would be more the norm? I ultimately wound up getting fired/laid off. Was what it was. I mean at the end of the day not a bad experience overall.

But yeah I liked this game a lot

My mother would spend hours playing that game she was
pretty damn good at it.
Since your going arcade that was the seventies at its best
going to the mall meeting girls hanging out playing all the
latest pinball machines and console games were an awesome
time to be a teenager!
The mini bowling machines in bars were the best!

Skee-ball is the shit. God plays skeeball, watch Dogma.

I haven't been on here much the last few weeks since I only had the site bookmarked on my work computer and I've been working from home since about St. Patrick's Day. My wife's two part-time jobs both closed up in early April, but fortunately she was able to get on unemployment.

Just bought a keyboard (piano, not computer) so I've been playing around with that a lot.

Being half-Finnish, the whole social distancing thing is like any other day for me-- take a look at Finns lining up waiting for a bus, you'll see. It sucks not having band practice, and my wife and I have only seen one of our friends twice for dinner at her house, but aside from that, I'm totally good.

Never been a video gamer, but I used to play this great baseball card and dice game when I was younger called MLB Showdown, so I've been pulling out my cards again and playing it a bit. Binge-watching Drew Carey and Letterkenny (HIGHLY recommended), random sports stuff on YouTube (mostly 80s and 90s baseball and football games and shows-- lots of TWIB out there), and various game shows.

Futurama

I've seen 4 or 5 of Futurama's over the years. liked it but never had time to watch them.
Well ...........guess what ?
These are the best cartoons since Animaniacs. glad I saved them now. any fans here ?

I love Futurama, but I love The Simpsons too. I watch a lot of adult cartoons though lol. Stuff like Venture Bros, Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law, Rick and Morty, there's some real good stuff out there but IMO Futurama was the first to really walk the line of a cartoon marketed at kids with a more aggressive adult humor. Family Guy came out the same year (1999) and got a lot of attention but Futurama was so much better.

Another big Futurama fan, between Futurama, family guy and Simpson’s you couldn’t go wrong.

Hmm I noticed you said you couldn't go wrong with The Simpsons. I watched the show a lot growing up in the 90's. Sunday nights on Fox were sort of like the last must watch TV for me. Between The Simpsons and Mike Judge's King of the Hill. I enjoyed Malcolm In The Middle for some time there as well.

But come around early 2000's I just didn't really find The Simpsons all that funny anymore and kind of stopped watching. I'm actually surprised they still air new episodes. Even I think years back they were going to have the ghost of Frank Grimes come back for Halloween. Even then it didn't get me to tune in.

Futurama I never got into but I think it was well done. I always liked Katey Segal (Peg Bundy). I think she was a voice?

I love The Simpsons, always will. Someone made the argument, and the same stands for System of a Down if you're familiar, the Simpsons made its reputation being aggressively counter-culture. Over time, because of its immense popularity, it became the culture. At that point the show 'lost its edge'. FYI: The reason I LOATHE Family Guy is that essentially cut Simpsons off at the knees. It emerged as a more overtly offensive option to the Simpsons who offered humor at a more cerebral level.

IMO newer episodes are good, of what I've seen. I haven't made it through S1 again yet in my sporadic Simpsons binge watch lmao. But I think it is the fact the old episodes were so good, and the show was so good for so long, that hindsight/retrospect/nostalgia dictates the newer episodes will NEVER be as good. Just my two cents. That's why SOAD quit making music. They were the band who said "fuck this" and were becoming the very thing they made music to protest against.

So... Simpsons became the norm, when it made its bread being the show that broke the norm and by the time it started to stagnate, other shows did what it offered "better" (I argue not, because I loathe FG but the success of that show is un-debatable) humor, or more engaging humor. IMO Simpsons should have went the South Park route, reserving its space for scathing social commentary and uncompromising humor. Instead it stayed in its lane, it has been on TV for over 30 years and that's because it's consistently entertaining. Even if the newer stuff doesn't give us the warm and fuzzies that it did 15-20 years ago.

Well part of it too I think with The Simpsons are the characters are literally ageless. For me anyway that sort of thing can bore me after a while.

Yes I did watch SOA years back online. idk if you knew but Katey is married to Kurt Sutter the show's creator. He also played Otto in it. Don't wanna spoil too much here. But yes ironically Chuck was my favorite character in that show. The guy with no hands lol.

As far as her hotness in concerned it was kinda ironic as I was typing this I was think of that. As a kid Kelly was sort of the hot one on Married With Children but for sure as I got older Peggy was. No wonder despite what he says Al doesn't walk out lol

I watched a couple seasons of SoA. Up to the Ireland/Baby kidnapping plot. I stopped watching around when they go to Ireland, that's where my memory gets foggy lol. I just got bored of it. It was good though, and kept being so for a while before it hit a wall.

The agelessness thing doesn't bother me, oddly enough it's easy for me to suspend my disbelief with cartoons. Horror films are the worst for this, for me, as soon as general logic is broken for the sake of the horror movie (which happens quite early/often in order to facilitate the horror) I usually check out because I'm sitting there going "WHAT THE FUCK WHO WOULD MAKE A BABY IN THIS WORLD WHERE YOU LITERALLY CANT MAKE NOISE OR YOU'LL BE KILLED?!" (Quiet Place, FYI).

I'm weird lol. I've been learning to be less judgemental of what others enjoy though. In my twenties I just had zero tolerance lol.

I thought the 3rd season was by far the weakest in SOA when they went to Ireland. It picked up again in the 4th and 5th if you decide to get back in it.

I was about to PM you my thoughts on Gemma on that show as I didn't want to spoil it on the board. Good thing I didn't I woulda spoiled the ending for you if you decided to tune back in!

Yeah it takes all kinds is my philosophy to a lot of things in respecting what others like/dislike. It's only when people get all disrespectful/try to push their views. In that case as you love to say Fuck em!

Stuff

I think I'm a tough critic on entertainment in general. with a weakness for sitcoms. with Love of animation. animation brings us back to being a 5 year old, that's relaxing. watched the Simpsons the first 4-5 seasons. accidentally see one from time to time they still have moments. some of this "newer" animation in movies. don't care for looks cheap. but's growing on me I guess. do I have a choice ?

Movies I don't like most, so I watch few. would have to think hard to recommend one over the past 40 years. I give up lol

Making up a story that hasn't been told over & over is rough. stuff I liked this century, The Man In the High castle., now that's a different story. Last Resort (2012), 13 good shows. 24 the first season. The Good Doctor, don't like doctor shows. but the autism is a new twist.

Sitcoms I'm mostly a whore. the ones I like the most end too soon(the Good Place). others I keep watching(Blackish).
Broke is new & funny they will kill it.

Top Bottom