The Dion Jordan Thread

PlaygroundLegend

Black Top Champion
Awards
Okay so here's my guy

Dion Jordan

dionjordanuclasackjpg-8e043069ec6a8737.jpg

Height: 6-7 Weight: 245 Forty Time: 4.65 Pos: 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE

So here's my scoop, he will go somewhere between 9-25... so we would have to either trade back or reach.

:pros:
INCREDIBLE REACH- The dude is 6'7 with a massive wingspan, he can easily bat down passes, and grab the QB from afar, he is a TE convert (Which Chud would like, lol)

SPEED- He is blazing fast for his size, great first step

BALANCE- A 6-7 4.6 guy should not be able to stay on 2 feet leaning 90 degrees at those speeds, but he somehow does.

MOVES- He uses his hands well, and is Very agile, he can learn even more in the NFL.

COVERAGE- He looked solid in coverage, especially for a linebacker

AGGRESSION

:Cons:
STRENGTH: He seems a little weak when being locked up.

RUN GAME: I wont lie, after watching some whole game vids, he sometimes looks tentative, he's not a big hitter either.

PRODUCTION: With his stats... he is not a sure thing guy

OVERPURSUIT: His aggression sometimes gets the best of him, its a double edged sword, he takes himself out of plays sometimes.

:Overall:

If he gains 15lbs,,, I think he would be a MONSTER, his weaknesses can be curbed by some added bulk which will assuredly happen in an NFL training program (Chip Kelly probably speeds him to death). The only thing that worries me is his tentativeness... I dont know if it is a mental thing or if he sometimes plays scared. I do know one thing though.... whenever he is blitzed its almost as if he is a different player, just straight nasty coming off the edge. He makes sense if we move to a 3-4... but in all honestly I think he would have more fun and be more successful if he rushed the passer every down.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UwVrBRruEk[/ame]

^ This video does a REALLY good job at highlighting his pass rushing potential

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I7NzjgPMfs[/ame]

^ This video (provided by Alo) shows that he can be tentative at times, which may just be him thinking too much

All in all, I think this is our guy... Walter projects him to the Jets at pick #9... His combine and workouts will skyrocket him...

What are your thoughts folks?

I want to like this kid, and I'm probably a dickhead for not being able to, but taking a project with the #6 overall pick who has only shown a few glimpses makes no sense to me. At that spot I want Joe Haden, a guy who comes in straight away and makes huge waves.

Dion could take years to be productive, he could never pan out. If we take a guy who got 14.5 sacks in four years when Detriot picking before us will likely grab the guy who got 12.5 in one year (26 in three years) then it seems like such a shame. If Dion wasn't tall and fast I doubt his technique even gets him in the 2nd round.

I think the first is going to be an important pick as the face of our new direction. Do we take the risk on a guy who has the size and speed to be a QB killer or do we go with a more solid pick?

Candidly, If we pick this guy in the first I want Carradine in the 3rd to play RDE. I don't want Dion to have the title of being the guy to fix our every problem in the pass rushing stakes. Carradine/Taylor/Winn playing with Jordan/DQJ/Robertson or JMJ/Sheard seems more balanced for production from the unit rather than maybe stuffing Jordan up by expecting too much. Carradine would have been a first round pick, and was just as productive as Werner from the RDE position, so he's a steal anyway, but it helps mould a more solid foundation for Jordan to have 1) more success pass rushing and 2) some talent aroun him to depend on.

Last edited:
Carradine as a 3-4 DE? Eh, seems like we have scads of those.

But to the question? Man, they're both insanely athletic and explosive. Great draft to need one. Hope both aren't gone. Is Moore seen as a potential 3-4 OLB? He played that before last year, right?

Love Carradine -- he's one of my favorite prospects in the draft. More of a 4-3 end, but I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him in the 3rd. Doubt he'll be available that late.

Luckily for the Browns, a couple highly talented 3-4 end prospects opted to declare: Sharrif Floyd, William Gholston, Joe Kruger. It could push down other guys, leaving some good depth/developmental guys available on Day Three.

3-4 DE types? Taylor, Winn, Rucker, for starters.

See I just don't agree with that view.

I think Winn and Rucker fit the potential mold as a 3-4 DE. Rucker may have even played it but Winn certainly hasn't in the NFL.

Taylor is no where near a 3-4 DE "type". He's way too big. I posted the list of the top 3-4 defenses' DE's and there was one guy at 300#. The rest were between 280 and 295. Its been that way forever.

So, I see our roster currently with 2 DL that might fit the prototype for DE. I also see 3 or 4 interior only DL types including Taylor, Rubin, and Hughes.

I'm telling you we have to add 2 DE's and 3-4 LB's while getting rid of one or two of our interior DL to make the switch. Its ugly.

Again, Ngata & Raji.

Alan Branch (6'6", 325) also did some decent work as a 3-4 end in Arizona before Horton got there -- he was PFF's #11 3-4 DE (#5 vs the run) in '09 -- but I expect Taylor to be more effective & consistent over the long haul.

Normally, guys Big Phil's size don't have the movement skills to play anything other than nose tackle. He became a first round pick because of that freakish ability.

I am starting to wonder if Ray is going to go all Patriots, carry out this 4-3 and slowly shift to a 3-4 as we go. It doesn't need to be done in one go and if anything that is the biggest threat toward buttfucking us, and we've seen that he's nothing if not creative in his approach to football.

Say he did take a guy like Moore, nothing stops him from being successful in the 4-3 DE set as we go and then looking to have him play linebacker at a later date.

38 sacks for a team that didn't bitz, missed our starting DT's for a lot of the year and didn't have the luxury of knowing when the pass was coming like we saw when Denver killed two of our QB's is crazy underrated. It's a pass rush that can stand on it's feet while we make a transition if that's what it means in terms of getting it right. It's not the iggles offensive line. It doesn't need to be done right here and now.

I'd hate to think we'd go 3-4 straight away knowing it was less talented than our 4-3 look.

Again, Ngata & Raji.

Alan Branch (6'6", 325) also did some decent work as a 3-4 end in Arizona before Horton got there -- he was PFF's #11 3-4 DE (#5 vs the run) in '09 -- but I expect Taylor to be more effective & consistent over the long haul.

Normally, guys Big Phil's size don't have the movement skills to play anything other than nose tackle. He became a first round pick because of that freakish ability.

I hear you Alo but the point is that the 325#+ list of top flight 3-4 DE's is exceedingly slim. They just aren't the prototype. I think Taylor is much more likely to excel as an interior lineman and not moving him further outside.

We'll see and if we make the switch to a 3-4 I sure hope our roster ends up having plenty of DE talent. I just don't see it right now.

BDU, I think you hit the nail on the head. Everybody's doing hybrids anyway. Run downs, you'd love to have Taylor, Rubin, and Winn or Rucker on the field. Passing downs, you put Damontre Moore and Sheard on the edges, Winn and Taylor in between.

Yeow.

Top Bottom