The Safeties | Page 12 | Barking Hard

The Safeties

I think it'll be Joseph and Delpit, they complement each other so ideally. But we're gonna be playing more DBs than LBs, so I bet Redwine is back with Delpit when Joseph goes up in the box with Mack.

Don't forget Delpit is no stranger to the box himself, and dare I say it: Kid lined up with the linebackers pretty consistently.

Very natural for him. He's a big dude.

Not just the best deep cover guy in this draft, the best deep cover guy in a while according to several draftnicks. Elite range, etc.

So best left tackle, best deep cover guy, and best tackler in the draft. Nice.

Don't forget Delpit is no stranger to the box himself, and dare I say it: Kid lined up with the linebackers pretty consistently.

Very natural for him. He's a big dude.
I spoke to this in another thread. Delpit is the hybrid just like Simmons. Only difference is Delpit will be a Safety first. Simmons is a LB'er first. But both of them will switch between both jobs.

Delpit weighted in at 203 at the combine. He better put on some weight (and keep his playing speed) if he is going to make a living in the box. That is my biggest concern, we have S's that are smallish, and LB's that run 235+ but don't have the blazing speed...so how do we cover the run when in nickel?

He's gonna do a lot of things. 203? Really? Man, he's always listed at 6'3" and 215.

But the thing he's truly elite at... is coverage. Instincts, range, tracking, all of it. And in 2020 NFL, that's the shit. Shorten that space, cage them in.

That is not a box safety...so again, my concern is the run game when in Nickel...we really don't have that one guy that gives the D versatility. I like Delpit, but I am not sure he is 'that' guy.

delpit is going to be the FS and karl Joseph will be the box SS. it plays to both strengths.

I am not worried about the secondary one bit. Everyplace woods has been Min, Den, SF have all been really really good while he was there.

the only thing im worried about are the LB's and run D. the pass D will be fine under woods.

ESD...I said exactly that...who is run support in nickel?

Joseph is even smaller than Delpit at 5'10" 200lbs...over the course of a year he is going to get pummeled in the box.

You don't have to be big to be good at it, though. Whitehead wasn't big. Honey Badger isn't big. I love watching Joseph go heat-seaker, he's a badass.

Delpit is 5 inches taller than Winfield - blows my mind a bit.

Look at the fricken shoulders on this dude. I'm kind of embarrassed to be part of the same human race as he is.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here’s a sample of a 2020 Pro Day: Projected first-round pick, LSU DB Grant Delpit, running a 4.39, 40-yard dash at Baton Rouge Pro Day yesterday. At 6-foot-2, 213-pounds. <a href="https://t.co/aAxb9fzoym">pic.twitter.com/aAxb9fzoym</a></p>— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1248264980140605442?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 9, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

You don't have to be big to be good at it, though. Whitehead wasn't big. Honey Badger isn't big. I love watching Joseph go heat-seaker, he's a badass.

I am going to assume you meant Jermaine Whitehead..who has never started more than 8 games...and Honey Badger was a FS until the last 2 years and has never eclipsed 90 tackles in a single year.

Guys like Bucannon, Deion Jones, Josh Jones....all guys around 220...those are the type of player we need...and don't have. Burnett in GB lasted only a year in that role before they decided they needed someone bigger, and he was 209.

I know some are legit hybrid, DF, but I'm always amazed at some of the guys who are good at it. Honey is definitely good in the box and so is that short Cardinals safety we all wanted in the draft.

Joseph is good in the box, natural at flying around, loves to hit.

There are "hyrbids," big safeties or small LBs... but there are safeties who are just nasty and like to put their nose in it. That's Karl Joseph, always has been. Love that about him.

The idea that only 240+ get to tackle is bullshit.

Woods likes to mix up coverages and that also means the responsibility of the safeties as well. No one is going to be a strict box or FS. Delpit needs to improve in the run, but it has little to do with size. He's not an enforcer nor is he going to be asked to be one for the most part. He'll play nickel, deep, and maybe a little box.

Sendejo and Redwine would be extremely good at playing closer to the line, I would expect to see them do that more than Delpit. Delpit is so good as a ball hawk and man coverage, it would be a waste to make him something he is not, especially his rookie year.

Shep...not on the 240 thing...but 215-220 seems to be the sweet spot for Hybrids.

As for doing without a hybrid....sure, it can be done. And some smaller guys are tough and like to stick their head in there....but when you are giving away 20lbs...those hits add up. That is all I am saying.

We're not disagreeing, really. Yeah, I know the hybrids seem to fall into that 215 to 220 range for the most part. I'm always intrigued when a smaller guy is a natural in the box, just has the feel.

I like our diversity at safety right now. Andrew did a helluva job of filling up a nearly empty room, and got better along the way.

I hope its ok to resurrect this old thread

interesting debate being had here about delpit
was he intended to play FS or SS?
knock on winfield was his height - problem is he now looks like an all pro
I thought delpit looked too slight to play SS in the NFL and I assumed he was going to play at FS
SS and LB seem to be position groups overlooked by some teams in todays game

I think this is a huge mistake
Its frustrating to watch winfield and brandon jones starting for teams at SS
this has been a problem unaddressed for 2 drafts
delpit might still be a superstar at FS
but for 2020 behind the LB'ers around the hash marks? we are open open open

If greedy or another good CB becomes available?
watch for the browns to plug him in at starting FS
for the browns to do anything this year the D must improve
If mack can play AND be effective? with greedy back at FS?
the SS problems go away

Last edited:
Top Bottom