The way too early 53-man projection | Page 2 | Barking Hard

The way too early 53-man projection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this on Twitter. Right, wrong or indifferent, we have a lot of fine players not in this particular line up on the bench or in rotation. I almost feel like we could win a game or two with the back-up to this 22 man.

Attachments

• start.jpg
    start.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 19
its good except..they have harrison and JJ3 in the wrong safety spots
as If ...LOL
JOK will play SS/OLB. we would still field 2 x LB.this makes us more a 4-3 D.Its a good compromise instead of another DB.

ward,harrison,JJ3,newsomeII
JOK,phillips,takitaki
MG,jackson,billings,clowney

I think Anthony Walker is a starter at LB over Takitaki, but it's purely situational depending on the opponents use of their TE's. JOK is light. He'll have to learn to either run past Guards or shed them and I'm guessing he'll have to run past them.

See Isaiah Simmons and note he has an extra 28 Lbs on JOK.

It's an embarrassment of riches at the DT spot right now. I'm thinking the Malik(s) could both be starting at DT and that if we are running a D to get more QB pressure Clowney moves inside and Takk moves to the other edge, with a blitzing LB like JOK.

AT any rate I think the starters on D will change depending on the opponent's tendencies.

processing waiting GIF by Equal Parts Studio

Their concerns:

5. Baker Mayfield
4. The defense gelling
3. Secondary Depth
2. The WR Room
1. Health

Not sure I agree with some of those. I really don't have a ton of concerns regarding Baker. He was great the 2nd half of last season and statistically was more efficient that Mahommes. Defenses now have film on him in this offense and both Baker and Stefanski will have to make adjustments; but I just am not that concerned.

Of course the defense has to gel with 9 new players, 3 new starters on the DL. It's a concern for sure.

We will have depth in the secondary. My concern is more the talent within that depth. I don't have much confidence in Greedy and I would like 1 more solid CB on the roster.

The WR room a concern? 1. We traditionally play 2 WR's most of the time. OBJ, Landry, Higgins are 3 very talented WR's. When OBJ went down, we didn't skip a beat with Peoples-Jones playing more snaps. I have zero concern here.

Health is a concern for me. Obviously we OBJ's knee; Clowney has been injury prone; Ward seems to get injured quite a bit; Greedy and Delpit need to stay healthy. We saw the offense slow down when Chubb got hurt. Health is definitely a concern...but health is a concern for every team in the NFL.

Pretty much the same for me too.

Baker is our QB and I expect more consistent high level play after a year in the same offense. Stefanski should be even better calling plays too.

The defense is likely the one true concern with all the new guys and like you I'm not sold on Greedy. I'd love to see Greg Newsome step up and claim the #2 CB spot putting Greedy at the #3 CB spot. That would be excellent for me. Leaving some combination of MJ Stewart, Robert Jackson and AJ Green as the bench guy(s). BTW, I read earlier how Newsome has impressed the coaches with his play. It's early I know, but at least they feel like he's progressing well in this defense.

The LB's and everybody else just need to play and get used to this defense.

I think we added the fastest WR in the league to our WR room and it's been noted that Schwartz is a better route runner than previously thought. That's great, but will he be able to catch the ball? We'll find out and we've already got DPJ and Higgins integrated into the O. We're OK there.

One thing the writer missed is the kicking game with Parkey. He got better later in the season and I'm hopeful he's passed the XP shanks and misses. I think the kicking game is arguably the biggest concern. 🤞 🤞 🤞

I am in 'wait and see' mode with Schwartz. Speed alone has never made a good WR in the NFL. We can go back through draft after draft and look at the 'speedy' WR's who's stock soared after running fast forties at the combine/pro day and then sucked in the league. John Ross is a recent example.

Auburn, Malzahn more specifically, does a terrible job developing WR's. Limited route tree and terrible fundamentals. His WR's (again, we can go through example after example) never pan out in the NFL.

That having been said, I look at Schwartz as very, very raw clay. He will have to learn proper route running and an expanded route tree. Maybe he can; maybe he can't. I don't know. But given Auburn/Malzahn's WR track record, I'm not going to get my hopes up. I'll take a 'wait and see' approach and hope he can help this team in some regard this season and beyond.

I saw this on Twitter. Right, wrong or indifferent, we have a lot of fine players not in this particular line up on the bench or in rotation. I almost feel like we could win a game or two with the back-up to this 22 man.

They put Johnson and Harrison at the wrong safety spots. Also, they put the DT's in the wrong spots. Lastly, in a 4-2-5, the SAM comes off the field. Phillips isn't good enough in coverage to play WILL in that alignment, it easily JOK's spot. The WILL has the most coverage responsibilities and the MIKE fills more gaps (but does cover the RB in man-to-man). The point is that JOK is out of position as the MIKE and Phillips makes no sense at the WILL. Weaver will be the MIKE and JOK will be the WILL in the formation shown.

So whoever made that line-up doesn't understand defensive schemes, where these guys have played in the past, or their strengths and weaknesses.

FS - Johnson
SS - Harrison
CB - Ward
CB - Greedy/Newsome (biggest question mark for me right now
Slot - Hill
WILL - JOK
MIKE - Weaver
DE - Clowney
DT - Billings
DT - Malik
DE - Garrett

That is your most likely 4-2-5 line-up. Quite frankly, it's pretty exciting and provides a ton of possibilities for Woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom