Tyler Bray, a Chud QB | Barking Hard

Tyler Bray, a Chud QB

For whatever it's worth, and I know it's nothing to King, Sobo hates him. CBS has him in second round. That's the most common landing spot.

Very understandable why folks who watched Derek Anderson crash & burn in Cleveland wouldn't like Bray. There are a lot of similarities.

Talking about traits, not stats...though I don't think Bray's a guy whose case is buttressed by the numbers.

His stats this year vs SEC competition: 167/300 (55.6%), 2,038 yards (6.79 YPA), 19 TD, 11 INT. Not very efficient or consistent.

Thanks, A. Good stuff. Do you have an opinion on where the other guy in the upcoming QB competition might come from? Seems like the only vets would be Alex Smith and maybe Dog Killah, both with connections.

If we were to somehow sign Anthony Spencer, Paul Kruger, or Conner Barwin, it's not out of the question that the Browns might go quarterback at #6 or in a trade down. I don't see corner because it might be the best position in free agency to find a legit starter or serious up and comer.

Bray only Junior throwing at Combine, volunteered to pull a TJ Yates, which teams will like. They'll also like the way he throws, for sure. If he can come off more mature than his image, he'll start tantalizing some scouts.

EDIT: This is Bray against NC State, abusing what was thought to be a great corner. Started off his season on fire, up and down after that. What I see is a HUGE arm and a guy who really prefers to make big throws. I frankly don't see bad accuracy here but it's just one game. I do see the sketchy footwork of a guy who knows he could throw from his back... needs to get some serious coaching.

Upside wise? Enormous. Has a Cutler-Stafford type of arm.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV_QB_IcElU[/ame]

And later in the season against Missouri, another huge game. He closed super-strong against Kentucky (4/0 in both).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO8Dud1hioM[/ame]

(Start around the mid 4's, you'll see some lasers. Ball rockets off his hand. Pretty quick release.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Let the rise begin. This from SI. They think he did the most to help himself at Combine:

Tyler Bray, Tennessee
Height: 6-6 … Weight: 232 … 40 time: … Vertical jump: DNP

Say hello to your high-riser at the QB position out of the combine. Bray weighed in at 232, up a whopping 24 pounds from his final game at Tennessee. Like Glennon and Nassib, he’s far from a burner or an option guy, so his high 40 time shouldn’t hinder him too much.

And that’s especially true because Bray zinged the ball (and did so accurately) during drills. There’s definitely room for quarterbacks to rise and fall between now and the draft, and Bray’s weekend work has him trending in the right direction.

Hard to say whether he moved the needle without knowing how he did in interviews. Those are critical for a guy tagged with maturity Q's.

I read he did not throw well.. Guess it depends upon who you read..He does seem like a decent fit from the info I've seen to date. There are mostly concernse about his 3/4 throwing motion from what I've been reading. I have not seen much of him at this point. I'd need to watch some game replays. i don't usually do much research until after the combine and most in the weeks preceeding the draft.

As far as arm talent, you almost have to be impressed with Bray: He's elite. He makes every throw and makes it well. Many times over more accurate than Derek Anderson. Questions seem to be about maturity on and off field and decision making... in other words, growing up.

To me, he's this year's Brock Osweiler, probably with even higher end arm talent. He can sling the shit out of it. He's a guy you could draft in round 2 but get round 1 talent. For the Browns, likely to give Weeden a year in the new offense, it could be the perfect fit.

However, I've been reading that Chud (like most) feels like a QB who could run the read option and work out of the pistol is the future. So keep an eye on Matt Scott in round 4, a guy who also threw very well at the Combine.

There doesn't seem to be any big events, EE. Seems like earlier in his career at UT he didn't impress the coach's with his attitude or work ethic.

Showing up at the Combine cut and 20 pounds bigger said a lot to scouts. He threw great... but he's a great thrower. Alo's right, that we need to hear something about how he interviewed. You get the sense he comes off a little dicky or something, maybe like Cutler.

Thing about Cutler is that guys who really know him love him. Marshall loves him. He's not a bad guy at all. He just talks a certain way, carries himself a certain way... and sometimes shoves his linemen. But at least they make up (!).

Hey, there was no bigger dick than Dan Marino. Barkley just said he learned from meeting Peyton Manning that "sometimes you have to be a dick." John Unitas scared the living shit out of people, including Raymond Berry. On the other hand, DA was the guy everybody wanted to have a beer with, remember?

Got this from a guy on a Dolphins board who was at the Combine:

Tyler Bray: Not sure who this kid was, but he is not the kid I met last August. He was poised, displayed exceptional arm talent and according to scouts, wowed at least 2 QB needy teams in the interviews, one of which was Arizona. No QB stood out more at the combine than Bray. He had a lot of observers too. I have never been a fan of him. I came away surprised.

Lots of chatter that the kid had himself one hell of a Combine in just about every regard. CBS moved him up to fourth among QBs, ahead of Glennon. I think he's out of our reach unless we move around.

Feels like that kid who could actually sneak into late one.

EDIT: This is from the senior editor of Packers.com:

Quarterbacks—Geno Smith of West Virginia and Tyler Bray of Tennessee (pictured) are the winners. A lot of concerns were put to rest because Smith was accurate and made the NFL throws. Any team in the top 10 thinking of taking him is probably resting easier based on his combine workout. Bray has a big arm. He was accurate. The combine was built for him and he took advantage of the situation. Tyler Wilson of Arkansas was all over the place with his passes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the bigger concern was if he had the attitude to lead as a QB or if he's too "lacadasical" a player. I agree, and so did NFL.com, that he helped himself as much as any QB in the combine.

My gut says he doesn't get out of the second round.

The chatter now is that he's a guy you might have to trade into late one to make sure you get... kind of this year's Brandon Weeden (!). He's also a favorite in the Kaep-Dalton area, the very top of round 2. Arizona and Oakland are showing a ton of interest and could jump at him there.

I think he's just risen out of our reach. Unless Haslam loves him and we trade out of 6 and end up with a different set of picks.

Top Bottom