Browns Game Thread - Washington FC 1-1 vs Browns 1-1 Game 3 | Page 5 | Barking Hard

Browns Game Thread Washington FC 1-1 vs Browns 1-1 Game 3

Washington's defensive front is no joke and they are going to give any team they play fits.

I want to see more from Baker as well, but all in all, he played good today. No costly turnovers and threw 2 TDs while riding our excellent running game (which took a little longer than I liked to get going) to the W.

I hate to bring him up but look at Roethlisberger's first few years in the league. He was pretty pedestrian most games. Didn't throw for a ton of ypg and only had 1 or 2 TDs a game. He rode a good running game and good defense. Our defense is nowhere close to being what Pittsburgh had for years but our running game right now is beastly. Also, let's not forget that this is Baker's 4th HC and 3rd offensive scheme. Due to the funky off-season I'm sure the offense is still learning and building on what they were given in camp.

Ben could see over the line though. It's glaringly obvious Baker has crippling limitations. The rare short QB who has put together a franchise QB career has the innate ability to find and see through open passing lanes, or high level athleticism. Baker doesn't have either. He can see 1 or 2 receiver options on each given play. It's horrible, and makes the job so easy for the defense. He needs to be able to roll out, or he is less than pedestrian. I hate to say it, but it's true. Look to see roll outs early and often next week.

Ben could see over the line though. It's glaringly obvious Baker has crippling limitations. The rare short QB who has put together a franchise QB career has the innate ability to find and see through open passing lanes, or high level athleticism. Baker doesn't have either. He can see 1 or 2 receiver options on each given play. It's horrible, and makes the job so easy for the defense. He needs to be able to roll out, or he is less than pedestrian. I hate to say it, but it's true. Look to see roll outs early and often next week.

Did he roll out a lot in his rookie year? I honestly can't remember.

I see what you're getting at though. Hopefully they can keep running the ball effectively and design roll out plays using play action.

I still have hope for the guy. He probably isn't the next Drew Brees, but how pissed would we be as a fan base if he went to another team to have that level of success?

Did he roll out a lot in his rookie year? I honestly can't remember.

I see what you're getting at though. Hopefully they can keep running the ball effectively and design roll out plays using play action.

I still have hope for the guy. He probably isn't the next Drew Brees, but how pissed would we be as a fan base if he went to another team to have that level of success?

I can't remember either, but the "book" wasn't out on Baker yet. To me, Baker shows the same exact weaknesses he had in college, and he hasn't adjusted at all. That means he likely can't adjust, which is disconcerting. Love his arm, love his moxie ...but you can't be a franchise QB seeing only 1 half or less of the field.

Any critiques can wait. We're over .500 for the first time in a long time. They didn't panic, didn't fold, and didn't quit.

Looks like their game plwn is to pass early and often to gas the opposing d and then run it late and strong.

Give Chubb a little space from the 10 and he will not be denied. Love those RBs.

2-1

I watched a bunch of different QB's and they all were rolling out. It's not to accommodate Baker personally as much as it is to move the pocket around and keep the pressure off balance somewhat. The ravens do it. Buffalo does it. Seattle does it. It's another tool/option for the offense in general I think.

It's not to accommodate Baker personally

I disagree - It obviously is
you really believe they would have keenum running all over creation and not settled in the pocket?
for those teams too its catered to their QB - they are RPO plays
but not for baker - hes just not the athlete they are

why did they so quickly discard the 3 step drop?

Last edited:
There is not a lot of RPO in this offense. It's straight runs.

Show me which plays were obviously RPO? The ones with Janovich? The ones with a 22 formation? I don't see much if any RPO from the Browns. Straight runs with a guard or tackle pulling. Maybe I missed it though.

Keenum will have to move the pocket too unless he wants to get crushed staying in the same spot all the time as would any QB. Like I said a lot of QB's are rolling out.

And if a QB is rolling out it's not an RPO.

Despite these 2 tweets I'm posting, I'm still concerned about Baker, but I do know this, he's got it all around him to grow. KS and teammates, and that, I feel darn good about.

I've always promised myself I'll NEVER fall into the Buckeye fan trap of "not winning well enough". I can't stand that.

So, teams like the Texans, Eagles, Falcons, and Vikings are all 0-3. I'll take this 2-1 record all damn day. After all, we're still in preseason, essentially, with a brand new coach.

Last edited:
I mean, he can't see anyone otherwise. Roll out or drop waaaaay back.

we are not completely sure how the offense is designed. it appears baker is only making one read sometimes. From what i seen some plays have all the routes breaking and the same or close to the same time. check the play at 1:40 the pass that went off Bryant's hands. you can see again at 4:30 and 8:12. i think the only plays that he reads multiple are on longer developing play action at 9:01 you can see he reads the TE to OBJ then hunt would be his 3rd check down read if he gets to it. he can only do what the coaches are asking him.

you cant read 3 guys because the breaks of the routs would have to be at different times/ depths to do that. sefanski said he wanted to simplify where to go with the ball. this is a read the defense and pick the best option and throw it.

side note the browns couldn't boot yesterday because Washington was running 9 man box's alot and the backside edge was screaming up field from a wide alignment to the boot depth and the LB was taking his responsibility in the backside run fit. it will be interesting if other teams do this.

Last edited:
Game grades coming in ...

Bitonio (81.0) and Teller (80.4) lead the offense.
Myles (91.0) and BJG (84.4) lead the defense.

At the moment, Teller is the NFL's #1 right guard, and Bitonio is the NFL's #4 left guard. Tretter is the #3 center. An injured Conklin is ranked as a top-20 OT, out of 100, and Jed is holding his own and growing.

So yep, it's on KS and Bake to scheme it up and execute. The middle is damn solid.

Last edited:
It wasn't blockbuster by any means, but this result feels like a good one. The effort and execution was there.

We didn't have to blow Washington away, we just had to make the most of their mistakes and scoring off so many of their turnovers is a good thing.

On the Baker/multiple reads thing, I wonder what percentages of total offensive plays on any given week go to a 3rd/4th read? I liked EastSideDawg's analysis from the highlights above. Maybe it will hurt the Browns down the line if Baker simply cannot do more than this, but just beating the teams worse than us on our schedule this season should take us above .500.

Minor bugbear on Baker for me. He's a couple of penalties this season when throwing the ball away. From a hidden yards perspective, I don't mind if Baker doesn't try and fix every broken play. He doesn't need to. If we collect more 2nd and 10s than 2nd and 15/20/25 etc then this cannot be a bad thing.

Bakers game yesterday was workman like... Not the flashiest numbers... The important stat here is The W of course... 2 TD's no picks... (He made the throws he needed to make).. That's winning football... No QB really really does it all on his own unless your Peyton Manning or Tom Brady... Cut the kid some slack... We have seen him play incredible football before.. I don't think that was accidental... I'm not saying he's the greatest... But quit trying to convince yourselves like he's garbage... It's STUPID!

Top Bottom