XFL Starts Today!!! | Barking Hard

XFL Starts Today!!!

sailorsam

I come in peace
Awards
another spring football league tries it. sponsored by WWE (like the previous XFL) they'll have eight teams and play ten weeks then playoffs

among the head coaches some familiar names; Jim Zorn (Seattle), June Jones (Houston), Bob Stoops (Dallas), Kevin Gilbride (NY).

I'm surprised Stoops is doing this. I guess he's ready to return to the sidelines. He was HC @ Oklahoma and won a championship. I have to think he could get a big-time college gig if he wanted. (would love to see him @ Maryland, we really need a good coach)

Mark Trestman (Tampa) was an OC wi the Ravens. really sucked. went to the CFL, won a Grey Cup, fired the next year.

any interest here?

I'll watch it but I don't anticipate much different a result from the first kick at the can from Vince McMahon to have a pro football league.

More Handball

Managed well this Should work. some of these cities I question. places like Birmingham.San Antonio, OKC, might be more likely to support. imo

There have always been more players than Jobs. even QB play could get better if NFL teams sponsor/loan young guys for development in future years. I had the games on(no sound) looked like football.

Football is just a terrible name for this game. we hate kickers. they only come around on 4th down or if there's no TD. kickoffs are less hated. the X is getting them off the field even more. Football come on man

It wasn't awful football, they were clearly busting ass out there.

Let's see if there is a drop off next week. Couldn't help but notice the dozens watching every game lmao

XFL Attendance Strong Out of the Gate

The demand for tickets to XFL games on the league’s opening weekend surpassed expectations (at least for those of us on the outside). The ‘get-in’ price to attend the D.C. Defenders inaugural contest reached $130 on the secondary market, sales of Houston Roughnecks tickets were so strong that the club decided to open up two additional sections in the second deck of TDECU Stadium (six in total) to accommodate walkups and both New York and Dallas posted official attendance figures north of 17,000. On Saturday, Darren Rovell reported that the upstart league had “already surpassed ticket sales revenue for the entire season of the AAF.”

The XFL anticipated the mean would be somewhere between 15,000 and 20,000 fans/game and believes there will be a couple of markets where the number of fans surpasses the high-end of that range. Expect Seattle and St. Louis to top the league in attendance. The Dragons and BattleHawks have sold the most season ticket plans to date (+/- 10,000/each).
https://www.si.com/johnwallstreet/sports-business/xfl-attendance
DC: 17,163
HOU: 17,815
NY: 17,634
DAL: 17,206

Long term I think they would need 30,000. doable at reasonable prices.

I went to the STL-DAL game. Not bad, would go again.

I missed the other three games on TV, but I'm planning on checking out this week's televised slate to see how it goes. Overall, there are some things the NFL should consider adopting (25 second play clock at all times, the kickoffs are weird but work out well, only two timeouts per half) and some I'm not so sure about (using college rules on catches and first downs, all touchbacks and out of bounds punts out to the 35).

And maybe that's what they should try to do with the XFL: partner up with it as a developmental/testing league. The NBA can test out ideas for rule changes in the G-League, the NHL can do it in the AHL and ECHL, and MLB does it with the affiliated minors and the independent minor Atlantic League. But the NFL has no way to test things out aside from doing it in the preseason. This might help solve that instead of just making seemingly random willy-nilly changes in the offseason.

Well the first game was watchable (Cardale balling out for DC) but the second game was hot garbage lmao fucking Mark Trestman just makes football out to be the most boring fucking shit and I wanted him to be our HC once upon a time.

I noticed Scoob too, keen eye there dude.

I wonder how many guys get NFL looks from this.

I went to the STL-DAL game. Not bad, would go again.

I missed the other three games on TV, but I'm planning on checking out this week's televised slate to see how it goes. Overall, there are some things the NFL should consider adopting (25 second play clock at all times, the kickoffs are weird but work out well, only two timeouts per half) and some I'm not so sure about (using college rules on catches and first downs, all touchbacks and out of bounds punts out to the 35).

And maybe that's what they should try to do with the XFL: partner up with it as a developmental/testing league. The NBA can test out ideas for rule changes in the G-League, the NHL can do it in the AHL and ECHL, and MLB does it with the affiliated minors and the independent minor Atlantic League. But the NFL has no way to test things out aside from doing it in the preseason. This might help solve that instead of just making seemingly random willy-nilly changes in the offseason.

Bill Burr had the idea on his latest podcast that the XFL Champion should play the winner of the Grey Cup (CFL champion) w/ alternating rules so one year it would be XFL the next CFL rules. I love this idea, would it happen? Tough to say but I won't lie I'm still enjoying having football to watch on the weekends.

The week two drop off wasn't too bad because week one didn't exactly light it up on TV. So far, quite watchable. I think the commentators have been pretty good all around, no instances of "who the fuck is this guy?" the top-notch presentation really helps the product. I recall the first iteration of the XFL just being too over the top but that's part of learning the ropes I guess.

Poor Babies

Well the first game was watchable (Cardale balling out for DC)
Truth.
Playing back the game with a little over 2:00 left in the game I turn up the sound.
I hear... the NY team had a 6 hour bus ride to DC. thus their poor play. Babe Ruth rolling over in his grave.

I gotta say this is great!
its fast honest football
they have a 1st class "front end" which really helps its credibility
I get the feeling the NFL and the networks are really trying to support this league
thats terrific, its in everyones best interest
be great If it got so good we could see an english PL type relegation system
where the worst NFL team trades places with the best XFL team
a feeder league system

I love the sideline commentary and the conversions
they really keep it interesting to watch
I am really surprised
the quality of football matters but not so much when you get everything else right
the quality has been good
If they can avoid crazy blowouts?
that would help

last word? very good start
I really hope this works out and at the moment I would bet it will.

Marc Trestman

fucking Mark Trestman just makes football out to be the most boring fucking shit and I wanted him to be our HC once upon a time.
I would take Marc Trestman today. he's done a good job everywhere he's been. while not a miracle worker he has won championships.
in yesterdays game that QB had some bad throws at the end of the game, but the play calls were there.

If they want more scoring ... how about letting the OL men more full use of their hands ?

Love the XFL tbh.

This time of year, it beats the heck out of drama MLB stories (Houston), drama NFL stories (Myles vs Rudolph), and meaningless basketball games.

XFL baby!

how about letting the OL men more full use of their hands

The d-lineman are already claiming "they aren't calling holding in this league", and that's totally fine. I'd rather see offense than a pile of 3rd-and-longs, resulting in a pile of 3-&-outs, due to constant holding calls.

Okay, after 3 weeks, here are some differences/appreciations, so far, for the better in the XFL vs NFL

1. The replay. It's more informative and smoother. The booth reviews everything and decides.
2. The college refs. They're just faster at things. The NFL refs snail-pace things.
3. The kick-off. Safer, less penalties, equally as entertaining
4. No penalty when a player takes his helmet off.
5. The ball ... I know, cheesy, but the X's on the ends make it more visible.
6. Less penalties. So far, there haven't been any noticeable flag fests.
7. The 3 levels of PAT. It's about entertainment, right?
8. The Comeback Period. Clock stops every play for 5 seconds for the last 2 min of each half. Allows the offense to use the middle of the field.
9. Time of year. Real games is way better than mid season basketball, MLB Astros drama, or Myles vs Rudy drama.
10. Hearing the coaches call the plays. They don't beat you over the head with it, but splash it in just enough to make it entertaining.
11. The quickie interviews. They lean towards when a player does something positive, and so these kids are happy to give a few words. I like it.
12. Names you like to watch. We've actually heard of some of these players and coaches. Cardale. Past Browns. Jim Zorn. Pep. Tressman.
13. The freedom to try new things. Some will work. Some won't. Who cares?

This weekend's games:
SATURDAY
LA (1-2) vs NY (1-2): New York has lost two straight (being outscored 56-9), while LA is looking to build some momentum after a win last week.

Seattle (1-2) vs St. Louis (2-1): The two most popular XFL teams (based on attendance) face off in St. Louis. Wonder how much chants we will hear denigrating the Rams owner this week.

SUNDAY
Houston (3-0) vs Dallas (2-1): Easy to paint this as the "game of the week" between two of the best XFL teams. First place in the West will be on the line as Houston looks to stay unbeaten.

DC (2-1) vs Tampa Bay (0-3): Tampa Bay has been awful, and I don't expect that to suddenly change this week. DC lost to a winless LA team last week and will hope to get back on track vs the listless Vipers.

Should be a good weekend of football. I have been really loving the XFL season, but with weekends off and actually being home to watch the games. It's been entertaining which helps the drama of MLB bullshit, Hockey doesn't captivate me to the playoffs, same with the NBA (RIP Kobe)... it's been a borderline godsend for this dead zone time of the sports year.

Top Bottom