1 Week To Go: Darnold, Mayfield or Allen? | Page 4 | Barking Hard

1 Week To Go: Darnold, Mayfield or Allen?

I'm ready to declare although I doubt it'll play out this way:

Darnold
Ward
Sutton
Fave OT
Okoronkwo

We do not need a RB this year. Might not next year but we certainly could take one then... but I simply don't see how it makes sense when we already have Hyde, Duke, and Dayes.

MUCH better cover team, sitch edge rusher for pass downs, WR corps is nails, QB is set for a very long time... really don't even need to draft next year (!).

Get LB depth in 4.

Like i've said in the past.. Johnny has tremendous talent.. And I believe he still does.. Johnny's biggest obstacle is himself...

I am not sure his talent was that all great although he was (and still is) pretty darn quick. But his main problem was that he had no real concept of an NFL offense and the role of a quarterback in an NFL offense when he arrived in Cleveland and was given no direction when he arrived except being told that Hoyer was the starter and that he should start acting like a backup.

It wasn't until Manziel's second year when McCown took him under his wing and gave him some direction that be began to understand what it meant to be an NFL quarterback, and, by that time, it was too late for him to recover from the neglect of the first year.

Fortunately for Mayfield--if he is drafted by the Browns--there will be an immediate concerted effort to provide the orientation and instruction he will need to fulfill his future and justify the high draft pick. Part of that effort will involve him being assigned to Drew Stanton who will be charged with helping to prepare him for his future as the Browns starting quarterback.

We will never know for sure if such a program would have made the difference with Manziel. Different people will guess differently. But if Mayfield is drafted by the Browns, we will know in a couple of years if such a program will work with Mayfield.

After picking QB at #1, the possible issues that could tank a resurrection season:

1. The Browns lack a #1 corner and elite WRs pile up numbers.

2. A WR gets hurt and after the top 3 we don't have much at all.

3. Shon Coleman is bad at LT and our QBs take too many hits.

That's why I want Ward, Sutton, and our favorite high 2nd round OT. If we can get those three things, I don't see much in the way of holes on this team.

Yeah, we can add a pass rusher too.

The difference is that Baker will be handled differently.

No. The difference is Baker won't have his face in a plate of coke, while he's holding a bottle of champagne, and getting his dick sucked an hour before kickoff. (we hope)

I was probably the most vocal poster on the board ripping Manziel

Yah kind of like this year, after all the talking heads told you what to believe, you came to the board and trashed Manziel. I was all alone on an island for months fighting against the hordes of Manziel fans here. But revisionist history is fun.

You love to play the 'zero has changed' card when in reality, information is dynamic and fluid... and changes daily. Hell, last year, you said nothing changed after the combine, pro days and player visits.

The list you continuously refer to wasn't my "final list of how I would rank the QBs"...and I even said when I did the list, that was my list as of THAT DAY and was subject to change. Here is the fact - I can change my mind on which QB I like for any reason at any time - that is how this works. I can like Darnold this hour...and Mayfield next hour.

Act like you've been through a draft or evaluation before.

Zero has changed. The information has not been fluid, nor dynamic. All cards have been on the able for a while. All games have been played, all tape has been watched, and you won't be giving any interviews. Zero has changed.

You can like whoever you like from hour to hour ...it simply nullifies your opinion from having any sort of conviction. In other words, you don't have a clue.

So let's just leave it at that, you don't have a clue. :flock:

It's gettin' hot in here.

:mad2:

Our QBOTF will be here on Thursday whoever it is and we'll roll with that guy in 2019.

Any of the top 3 are qualified. Any of those guys. :cheers:

I will not be happy if Allen is the pick at 1,I would accept Rosen, be excited if it's Darnold, but be ecstatic if it's Mayfield.

Why has no one thrown out the rare possibility that he just might like one of the later round QBs enough that he grabs 2 of the sure fire all pro players like Chubb and Nelson or Ward or Fitz, and takes a Lauletta or any another in the 2nd round. After all, whoever he takes will have a whole 2 yrs to learn the pro game. I truly think that that opens the box extra wide.

Just think or imagine how much better Garappolo became sitting for those years (not to mention Rogers). Makes me wonder how many "busts" would have made a good starter if they werent rushed into action.

Did the Browns invite any of the lesser qbs to work out for them?

Why has no one thrown out the rare possibility that he just might like one of the later round QBs enough that he grabs 2 of the sure fire all pro players like Chubb and Nelson or Ward or Fitz, and takes a Lauletta or any another in the 2nd round. After all, whoever he takes will have a whole 2 yrs to learn the pro game. I truly think that that opens the box extra wide.

Just think or imagine how much better Garappolo became sitting for those years (not to mention Rogers). Makes me wonder how many "busts" would have made a good starter if they werent rushed into action.

Did the Browns invite any of the lesser qbs to work out for them?

I asked that here last week, it's possible we pass on a qb with the first picks because we already brought in two qbs.
But people can't differentiate between what someone thinks can happen and what someone hopes will happen.
So the could pass on a qb, but they shouldn't.

Yah kind of like this year, after all the talking heads told you what to believe, you came to the board and trashed Manziel. I was all alone on an island for months fighting against the hordes of Manziel fans here. But revisionist history is fun.

Wrong as usual. Disappointing...but not surprising.

I was the first and most vocal regarding Manziel because I actually talked to people in the college football world, including DC who actually coached against him and stopped him. I don't need 'talking heads' to form my opinions and never have...and never will. Unlike you, I've actually been on the field with a lot of college players, coaches, scouts, etc... and know what I am looking for and at. But facts, right?

Zero has changed. The information has not been fluid, nor dynamic. All cards have been on the able for a while. All games have been played, all tape has been watched, and you won't be giving any interviews. Zero has changed.

You can like whoever you like from hour to hour ...it simply nullifies your opinion from having any sort of conviction. In other words, you don't have a clue.

So let's just leave it at that, you don't have a clue. :flock:

The fact that you think nothing changes or is fluid/dynamic tells me a lot about your understanding (or lack thereof) of the process; and ability (or lack thereof) to evaluate. There is always an exchange of information happening. There is always more film evaluations happening - it's never all watched and evaluated. There is always something else to look at when evaluating film; you never see everything after 1, 2 or even 3 viewings.

Do I have a clue which QB I like the best? No. I've said over and over again - which you fail to understand and comprehend...which is frightening on many levels - that I like different QB's in this draft for different reasons. But I've also said for a while know that I want Darnold; but would probably be fine with Mayfield.

It's a shame you are always looking for a battle rather than focused on having constructive conversations. Your tone wanting to be the 'smartest man in the room' act really doesn't bring much information or fun to the board.

Instead of fighting with posters like me - who have actually been on the sidelines and knows college football from a much more intimate perspective than TV like yourself - you should really attempt to glean knowledge in order to form an actual informed opinion. instead of a, "let me see who I can fight with today", or "I don't want this poster to appear like he actually knows something and people might like him" attitude.

Sadly it appears your arguing is moot. According the players agents it appears Mayfield’s handlers are convinced he is going #3 to NYJ. Darnold and Allen’s agents think they are going #1. Rosen’s... well... not commented.

I just started pulling for Darnold.

Russell Wilson’s recent QB2QB stuff on ESPN was pretty good.

Says QB-ing is all throwing lanes, timing, and accuracy. It’s not that hard to understand.

Allen has none of these traits.

He's got promise and drafting Allen is drafting physical attributes and occasionally making a hard ass NFL type throw. I see why he's attracted attention, however he's a huge project right now because of his accuracy.

His accuracy is incredibly bad and might not be fixable enough to be a legit starter for a couple of years and possibly never.

Keep this in mind...

Rosen has...

2 concussions in HS
2 concussions in College..

His father is a Dr... So.. After Rosen gets his money.. I can see him retiring per his fathers advice.. As it has been said that Rosen clearly wants to make a lot of money in the NFL.

However.. his upside is intriguing..

I asked that here last week, it's possible we pass on a qb with the first picks because we already brought in two qbs.
But people can't differentiate between what someone thinks can happen and what someone hopes will happen.
So the could pass on a qb, but they shouldn't.

The chances of John Dorsey passing on one of the top four quarterbacks is practically nil. The reason is that he likes his job and wants to keep it. Part of the way he keeps his job is to please the fanbase. I think it is clear that the fanbase wants a top quarterback. The other part is pleasing the owner. In his introductory press conference, one of the owners made it a point to mention that Dorsey's top objective will be to find the quarterback. Taking a quarterback with the #1 pick is equivalent to showing that he is taking those instructions seriously. Furthermore, all you have to do to come to the conclusion it will be a quarterback is to look at where the major portion of his attention has been directed the past month. Whose pro days have he attended? Who have he invited for a visit?

I hope it will be Darnold. I like Rosen but the emphasis Dorsey seems to place on winning seems to go against him selecting Rosen. I am making an effort not to say anything bad about Allen just in case.

I was warming toward Mayfield until I saw that SI cover. If Dorsey picks him, I will hope for the best, and at least he will know up front what the Browns want from him and I think it might work out. But I think Darnold is a better choice for the Dorsey quarterback program. I think he will be more inclined to accept the role that the rookie quarterback will be assigned this year. I think he will be more inclined to follow and learn from Stanton; I think that is important because once the season starts, the attention of the coaches will be directed almost entirely to Taylor and the game plan for the week. The coaches will not have much time for the rookie once the regular season has started.

Allen is nothing more than brandon weeden part 2. I wouldn't be all that surprised if he falls into round 2 or three. Which all the hype aside is where he belongs.

If I thought that Allen was Brandon, except younger, I would want him. I am not convinced of that, but it is something to hope for if Dorsey drafts him.

Top Bottom